Is MYW dining really irritating alot of other DVCers or just me?

thanks for your opinions everyone
Yes I do still believe DVC is a good investment - for now its a guarantee we will be returning to WDW. Its much easier when our current vacations are ending to know that we will be back.

And Yes it will be much easier ordering for meals what I really should be eating - not getting food just because it's on a meal plan. So yes there are other benefits besides cost to figure.

In the past we have cancelled a PS or 2 - or at least changed days/times

The only problem I see with DDE is that it isn't good for counter service and it isn't good for all restaurnants on site. Happily DVC and AP discounts fill in some gaps but I think DDE could be better.

Is $35 for 1 sitdown, 1 counter, and 1 snack ...is this a great deal?
example...$22 for a dinner, $8 counter, $3 snack....or does the sitdown dinner include an appetizer/drink/dessert? is just seems like it doesn't save a whole lot.
:flower:

Disney-Kim said:
Is $35 for 1 sitdown, 1 counter, and 1 snack ...is this a great deal?
example...$22 for a dinner, $8 counter, $3 snack....or does the sitdown dinner include an appetizer/drink/dessert? is just seems like it doesn't save a whole lot.
:flower:
Yes, the sit down does include appetizer, entree, dessert and non-alcoholic drink. It also includes tax and tip, so if you really do eat that much every day, it can save you money.

Best wishes -

We're DDE fans too. I wouldn't do the MYW dining even if I could. We much prefer to do two sitdown each day and almost never eat counter service because we rarely find it worth the money. We don't do most of the snack-type foods they offer on MYW -- we don't drink soda and use one bottled water each and just refill and freeze each night (since we always have a fridge -- thanks DVC!).

If you're using DDE, I'm shocked that you'd be spending $100 per day on food for one adult and one thirteen-year-old. We spend about $75-80 for two adults and we do two sitdown meals per day and usually have a drink with our dinner meal. That also includes at least one snack per day (fruit, Ghirardelli's, Dole Whips, rice cream, etc.). I could easily cut that to about $50-$60 per day if we skipped the alcohol and ate counter-service.

We too would like the MYW dining plan to be available. I know many don't agree, but it would work well for my family. $80/day for more food than we could eat is a big money saver for us. We too stay in studios and the cold-cut sandwiches, yogurt, and cereal gets real old, real fast. We are on vacation and want to have nice meals. We can have those foods at home any old time.

As an example, I just found the O'hana receipt from April, we spent $85.57 for 2 adults, and 1 child. This was the CC total, so it included the tip too. (We did not have any drinks we had to pay for.) So for that one meal, it cost us $5.57 more than it would to buy the MYW dining plan. That was for one meal only. We had lunch one day at Epcot, and it was $29.55 for the three of us. Add that to the dinner we had at O'hana and we are already way ahead of the game.

The DDE is the best we can get right now, so I'll likely get one in August, then we'll have it for four trips, and really get our money out of it.

Alexander said:
We too would like the MYW dining plan to be available. I know many don't agree, but it would work well for my family. $80/day for more food than we could eat is a big money saver for us. We too stay in studios and the cold-cut sandwiches, yogurt, and cereal gets real old, real fast. We are on vacation and want to have nice meals. We can have those foods at home any old time.

As an example, I just found the O'hana receipt from April, we spent $85.57 for 2 adults, and 1 child. This was the CC total, so it included the tip too. (We did not have any drinks we had to pay for.) So for that one meal, it cost us $5.57 more than it would to buy the MYW dining plan. That was for one meal only. We had lunch one day at Epcot, and it was $29.55 for the three of us. Add that to the dinner we had at O'hana and we are already way ahead of the game.

The DDE is the best we can get right now, so I'll likely get one in August, then we'll have it for four trips, and really get our money out of it.

I totally agree...

What it really comes down to is your own personal dining style. Everybody eats different amounts and different things and spend differently as well. When I'm on vacation, I like to eat A LOT ;) ! It helps to have a kitchen for those leftovers if your staying in a one or two bedroom! So the MYW dining could come in handy for us as well, but since its not available, the DDE is definitley a great alternative...

Alexander said:

I completely agree that $35 is an incredible deal for adults and $10 for the kids is amazing. We bought the PAP's and the DDE card for our upcoming trip in DEC. However, if the the MYW dining plan had been available we may have done that. We love meal plans. We were completly loyal to the old Dreammaker gold or silver plans. We loved them. The silver was out fav. We used it for a character/resort breakfast and then a sit down dinner. We ate fast food lunch that we payed for. I know some may think it's silly but, my big hesitation in buying DVC, aside from the fact that we will not stay at the POLY anymore, was the lack of a meal plan.

We like eating lots of food on vacation! We don't plan on cooking in our DVC kitchen, ever. In fact, I asked DH if he wanted to eat a couple of breakfasts in the villa like frozen waffles, and he looked at me like I was nuts. He said he'd go to Cape May Cafe and meet after I ate my frozen waffles. :rolleyes: Needless to say, we will not be eating breakfast in the villa.

We love planning our PS's 90 days ahead. We aren't going until Dec and have been talking for days about our dinner choice restaurants! We have fav's that we HAVE to do every time (Brown Derby, Flying Fish, Ohana) and we love picking others to make each trip special. We have been having the Yachtsman vs Le Celliar conversation for weeks. (I know, we're weird). We order appetizers and when we had the meal plans, desert too. We have 3 kids who love to eat out also. :)

I think the MYW dining is a good deal. We could get a sit down dinner, a fast food luch and a snack. The only thing we'd have to pay for is a sit down breakfast and alcohol.

Also, trails end buffet is NOT a great suggestion for everyone. That place is a haul to get to unless you are staying at VWL or have a car. We are staying at BWV and don't ever rent cars. I would never spend that much time getting somewhere just to save a few dollars. We are planing a $2200 food budget for 5 of us on a 9 day trip. Hopefully with the DDE card, we will save some of that. :) I think that's pretty good. It's our first time with out a meal plan. We looked at the menus on allearsnet.com to figure out the budget. Our friends who went last June were bragging about how they only spent $1800 on food (2 adults, 2 kids). Then in talking to them we discovered they did 2 dinner shows which were prepaid that they didin't count in their total and 3 princess breakfasts that they did CC deposits for, that they also did not count! I will still miss the silver plan, but if DVC gives us the MYW dining plan next year, we may get it for our 2006 trip. It depends how much we like the DDE card!! The fact that it includes alcohol is a huge plus for us! :teeth:

The MYW dining plan worked out well for us in February (2A, 1C) we ate at the best restuarants and got to try out interesting items we normally wouldn't have ordered. With all the inclusions, and factoring in that kids don't have to order off the child's menu @ counter serves, we saved quite a bit of money on meals. We used the snack vouchers for bottled water we took to the parks. If you're not used to eating 2 rather large meals a day, this isn't the plan for you.

Personally, I absolutely hate to cook on vacation. I don't mind making sandwiches, etc., but with just a few people, it seems to be more expensive to buy groceries than grab a light breakfast or lunch. Of course we do pick up snacks & drinks to keep in the room for the munchies.

After speaking to two different CM's @ WDW dining res, it's my understanding that the MYW dining plan is upcoming for DVC, but it's just a matter of getting the computers syncronized. Perhaps this has changed since I last spoke with them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter