Is switching resorts for 1 night with 3 kids totally nuts?

ShelbyK

Mouseketeer
We are booked at WL for April 30th-May4th and I just happened to be playing around on the Disney website and got a crazy idea.. We can check out of WL on the 3rd, head to Epcot for the day, and check into Boardwalk for that 1 night and then do HS the next day. Would being able to walk back from Epcot and walk to HS the next morning be worth the hassle of packing up? I would pack everything so that we would only need to use 1 suitcase for the boardwalk night and the only other thing would be setting up the pack n play which is easy.. They are the exact same price because we paid rack rate for WL and Boardwalk has the discount offered on a standard view. Also if I make this change to our room portion of our package will they charge us the new higher ticket prices? If so then its probably not worth it

I'm not sure about the package/ticket prices since I have an AP and we never buy packages for my son's tickets, we just buy them on line at wherever we can get them the cheapest. As far as switching for one night, we often do split stays with one night at a resort then moving. We have even added a night on when we just didn't want to leave and had to move rooms in the same resort. So, no I don't think it's much of a hassle. You could use a separate suitcase for the one night or even packing cubes.

It would not be worth it to me. Packing everything up for that many people is a pain IMO.

Nope. Wouldn't do it. I don't mind split stays...we have done them a lot. But, it is not worth it for walking distance.

Some people really like the split stay thing. Personally, I'm not going to do it because I'd rather be spending time enjoying a relaxing vacation than spending it packing, unpacking, and moving to a different resort.

Epcot is a short walk from BWI, DHS is a bit longer, so walking depends on your children’s endurance. There is a boat to DHS too.
For a short stay I’d prob just live out of my suitcase so moving wouldn’t be too bad. I’ve done the reverse and have had 1 night stays for arrival day.
So my answer is a solid- It depends! If you’re children are all young and you have a lot of paraphernalia I’d say no. If you can pack light and it’s not a huge chore packing up, go for it.

I am a solo traveler and will not consider doing a split stay, so yes, I think doing it with that many people is crazy.

Epcot is a short walk from BWI, DHS is a bit longer, so walking depends on your children’s endurance. There is a boat to DHS too.
For a short stay I’d prob just live out of my suitcase so moving wouldn’t be too bad. I’ve done the reverse and have had 1 night stays for arrival day.
So my answer is a solid- It depends! If you’re children are all young and you have a lot of paraphernalia I’d say no. If you can pack light and it’s not a huge chore packing up, go for it.

Have a 10 year old and 8 year old and the toddler.. but now im thinking my husband would be annoyed with it too and im trying to keep this trip super simple and enjoyable for him so he stays on board with going again in 2019 ... thanks everyone! I need to stay off of the disney site lol

With 3 kids for 1 night, I wouldn't do it. We have done split stays and Disney makes it really easy, but the packing and unpacking just for 2 of us isn't fun. We have APs so we don't worry about tickets. Not sure about your question about tickets. Are you doing a length of stay or a multi day park hopper? If so, the price of he tickets shouldn't change, I woul dthink.
It is really nice to walk to EPCOT and HS from Boardwalk.
IF you don't mind packing and unpacking, then do it.

We tried our first split stay last trip, it was not my fave and that was with a 4 night / 3 night split. I think 1 night would be frustrating.

I think you have made the right decision. It's not only the packing, it's that your room may not be ready until later in the afternoon, so that's another day when you would not be able to go back to the room to change and relax.

Only if you were going to like AKL for the night and spend the day on at resort enjoying - pool, food and animals. To be closer to a park - no. Want to save time - take a taxi. We use them all the time now. Faster!

We almost always do split stays because our party size changes and we either need to downsize or move to a bigger unit and we have figured out how to make it work as it is worth it $ wise. Even though we have it down, check out, give bags to bell service, hit a park and return to new resort after check in time, get room, get bags delivered..... it still isn't ideal sometimes to be "roomless" all day.

No way would I do it by choice with 3 kids! When my kids were small that afternoon break and or pool time was necessary, of course you could get by but personally i would stay put at the same resort if given the opportunity.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter