Is there any time you can go when WDW is decked out for the holidays without crazy crowds?

oceanmarina

DIS Veteran
image.jpg Hi all,

Before I ask my question, just wanted to wish everyone at DIS boards a wonderful 2018, hope a trip to Disney is in your plans for this year!

Anyway the crowd pictures posted this week has almost made me cross Disney off my list of holiday trips. But I'm wondering, is there any time you can go when the decorations are up at it's all Christmasy but it's not crazy packed? It can be a short trip, a long weekend , I'm just curious if there is a time period where you can go and it's not jam packed and crazy long lines for rides (can be any date range when the decorations are up). I'm wondering if this even would exist at all?

Thanks for any feedback, Marina:cutie:

Before this year, the first two weeks of December were good. I think we'll look back on them fondly.

I think I remember reading on this board that December 5th or so, there was a post about insane waits for lines. I was wondering about that time period. I guess another "slow time" bites the dust! :o

We went the week after Thanksgiving last year, and I couldn’t believe how low the crowds were. I’ve heard this year the crowds were pretty high. I wonder if some of that was due to people who rescheduled trips because of the various hurricanes that hit FL this year?

The first week of December is considered the most difficult week to boon for DVC members. Low point cost, holiday decorations, and light crowds drive that demand. If you can travel during the week, it’s your best opportunity.

Be careful reading crowd report during the holiday season. If the report is from the MK, and it's from one of the few non-party days every week, it's skewed. Crowds tend to pile up on those days.

We went November 12-20. Crowds were very manageable. MK was decorated from the start and we went to a Christmas Party. Very fun!
Epcot had Food and Wine through the 13th, so no Christmas decorations when we went the 12th, but then when we went again on the 15th, they had miraculously appeared. Fun to see!
Hollywood Studios was decorated and had their new holiday offerings going.
AK had their tree up, Mickey and Minnie were wearing their Christmas sweaters, etc.
Gingerbread house was up in the Grand Floridian.
I would say it was really an amazing time to go! Christmas decorations, moderate crowds, long MK hours (open to midnight 3 of the nights we were there, 11 on another) and wonderful weather!
Oh, and we had free dining starting the 14th, so bonus!

2016 we went for 10 days starting the Saturday after Thanksgiving. It was awesome! No more than 15-20 wait on most rides. Maybe 30-45 for 7DMT. Did MVMCP and had no problem getting up close for the parade.

Was just there the week after Thanksgiving and we loved it! We were able to get so much more done than we were expecting.

Before this year, the first two weeks of December were good. I think we'll look back on them fondly.

This! To ans. your question OP - one word, No! It had been several years since we were there (2010) first part of Dec. so thought we'd go again - big mistake! A couple days were fine, then the crowds! No more Dec. trips.

I agree with others- the week after Thanksgiving through mid-December. It’s important for older students to be in school during that time as they have exams. There is no slow season anymore but those weeks aren’t terrible. Just avoid MK on non-party days and schedule your fp wisely so you can use many more than three. If you want to see the MK fireworks, it’d be best to go to a different park until after dinner. Decorations start coming down shortly after New Years.

Last edited:
We generally go between about 3-10 December. We can catch somewhat low resort rates and we beat the big December crowds. Yes, the Monday to Thursday stretch is the sweetest.......and as other have said, do MK on a party day and start the day with rope drop.

Obviously 3-10 varies from year to year, but we always arrive on a Sunday and leave on a Sunday

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter