Is this a Stupid Plan?

J-Dog

A Nobody
Hi again!

(Another) quick question about our Oahu itinerary.

Our current plan is to stay 1 night at the Hyatt Regency Waikiki, then move to Aulani for 7 nights. We plan to check-out of the Hyatt, and then do some "stuff" in the Waikiki area. Will do Diamond Head first thing in the morning, then hit the beach and some food sites, like Leonard's Bakery.

So here's my question: since we will be checking out of the Hyatt and then going around Waikiki in a rental car - is that a bad idea to have everyting we packed in the car? What are the chances that our car will get broken into at the Diamond Head parking lot or somewhere in Honolulu?

I don't really want to drive all the way to Aulani to drop-off bags then go back, but that would be better than having all our stuff stolen.

Or, of course, we could change our itinerary, but we really want to do Waikiki stuff in the beginning of our trip if we can.

Thanks again!

Hi again!

(Another) quick question about our Oahu itinerary.

Our current plan is to stay 1 night at the Hyatt Regency Waikiki, then move to Aulani for 7 nights. We plan to check-out of the Hyatt, and then do some "stuff" in the Waikiki area. Will do Diamond Head first thing in the morning, then hit the beach and some food sites, like Leonard's Bakery.

So here's my question: since we will be checking out of the Hyatt and then going around Waikiki in a rental car - is that a bad idea to have everyting we packed in the car? What are the chances that our car will get broken into at the Diamond Head parking lot or somewhere in Honolulu?

I don't really want to drive all the way to Aulani to drop-off bags then go back, but that would be better than having all our stuff stolen.

Or, of course, we could change our itinerary, but we really want to do Waikiki stuff in the beginning of our trip if we can.

Thanks again!
We’ve left everything in the trunk of our car several times, but I’ve always been concerned and breathed a sigh of relief when we returned to find it all there. Since your activities will be in Waikiki, could you check your luggage with the Hyatt and then pick it up when you’re ready to head to Aulani? Or at least, when you’ve left Diamond Head and are on your way to sites that are between the Hyatt and Aulani?

We’ve left everything in the trunk of our car several times, but I’ve always been concerned and breathed a sigh of relief when we returned to find it all there. Since your activities will be in Waikiki, could you check your luggage with the Hyatt and then pick it up when you’re ready to head to Aulani? Or at least, when you’ve left Diamond Head and are on your way to sites that are between the Hyatt and Aulani?
Thanks so much for the perspective!

I had thought about leaving the bags at the Hyatt, but the problem is that (as far as I can tell) they only have valet parking under the hotel, so it seems like a huge pain to go back there to pick up our stuff, since you can't just park in front for a few minutes (although I might be wrong about this - I have no experience, just research, and would happy to be wrong).

If Hyatt doesn't allow you to store luggage, I would do the Waikiki areas activities as much as possible and return to the hotel around checkout to grab your bags, assuming it's an 11 AM checkout time. Have you ever been to Waikiki before? We are not Waikiki fans, but we will go there for a couple of hours on an Aulani trip since they have diverse dining options and some unique shopping not located in KoOlina, Kapolei, or the mainland. Perhaps, your first night and morning will be enough of Wakikiki?

Thanks so much for the perspective!

I had thought about leaving the bags at the Hyatt, but the problem is that (as far as I can tell) they only have valet parking under the hotel, so it seems like a huge pain to go back there to pick up our stuff, since you can't just park in front for a few minutes (although I might be wrong about this - I have no experience, just research, and would happy to be wrong).
It’s been many years since we stayed in Waikiki, so I don’t know, but maybe you could call the Hyatt and ask about stopping just to pick up checked luggage.

I think the suggestion to do as much as possible before officially checking out is a good one, too. You will want to complete the hike at Diamond Head as early in the morning as possible, before it gets too crowded and hot.

If Hyatt doesn't allow you to store luggage, I would do the Waikiki areas activities as much as possible and return to the hotel around checkout to grab your bags, assuming it's an 11 AM checkout time. Have you ever been to Waikiki before? We are not Waikiki fans, but we will go there for a couple of hours on an Aulani trip since they have diverse dining options and some unique shopping not located in KoOlina, Kapolei, or the mainland. Perhaps, your first night and morning will be enough of Wakikiki?

It’s been many years since we stayed in Waikiki, so I don’t know, but maybe you could call the Hyatt and ask about stopping just to pick up checked luggage.

I think the suggestion to do as much as possible before officially checking out is a good one, too. You will want to complete the hike at Diamond Head as early in the morning as possible, before it gets too crowded and hot.
I was actually just considering that idea as well. We could do Diamond Head, then go back and check-out at the Hyatt then drop-off bags at Aulani. That sounds like it might be the best plan.

The only problem is that we had planned to do the Barefoot Beach Café for lunch or dinner. Maybe we can go back another day...

Thanks very much!

Last edited:
I was actually just considering that idea as well. We could do Diamond Head, then go back and check-out at the Hyatt then drop-off bags at Aulani. That sounds like it might be the best plan.

The only problem is that we had planned to do the Barefoot Beach Café for lunch or dinner. Maybe we can go back another day...

Thanks very much!
I’d still call the Hyatt and ask about picking up luggage when ready to leave Waikiki. It really is a distance from there to Ko Olina.

Thanks very much!
You can probably go back another day. As long as you plan around rush hour, Waikiki is not a burdensome drive from Aulani. You can probably squeeze it in if you visit other South or East Oahu tourist areas like Pearl Harbor, Bishop Museum, Iolani Palace, Koko Head, Waimanalo Beach, Hanauma Bay, or Kailua Beach

We bought a long thin cable and padlock for our Hawaii trip, and when we had to leave the luggage in the rental jeep, wired and locked it in an obvious manner.
Of course a determined thief with tools could still break in and cut the cable, but I figured they might be less likely to try.
And, no break ins! But we didn't go to Diamond head

I would not want to drive around Waikiki due to the traffic. Parking is very expensive, sometimes up to $35.00 per day!
There is very limited parking a Diamond Head. Consider using the public bus service or taxi.

Waikiki is a nice walkable area. Hyatt Regency Waikiki to Diamond head is about a 2 mile walk.

Make sure to carry water and snacks to climb Diamond Head.

-Paul

If the hotel has valet, I assume that there's also a place to stop your car so that they can valet it, also the same place where you'd wait for your car. We left all of our stuff at Embassy Suites Waikiki while we drove to Hanauma Bay - we were going to check out Diamond Head too but decided not to - then picked it all up at the hotel on our way to Aulani. They had no issue with us keeping the car there for a few minutes while we got our luggage and used the washroom etc., as long as one person stayed with the car.

I wouldn't worry about Hyatt holding your bags. Every hotel I've ever been to that has bell services does this as a matter of routine.

If the hotel has valet, I assume that there's also a place to stop your car so that they can valet it, also the same place where you'd wait for your car. We left all of our stuff at Embassy Suites Waikiki while we drove to Hanauma Bay - we were going to check out Diamond Head too but decided not to - then picked it all up at the hotel on our way to Aulani. They had no issue with us keeping the car there for a few minutes while we got our luggage and used the washroom etc., as long as one person stayed with the car.
Thanks for the help. This is probably sounding like the best plan - just leave stuff at the Hyatt, then come back for it on the way to Aulani.

Absolutely do not leave your luggage in your car while you tour any site. As a tour guide once told the bus, "When your stuff is stolen out of the car, just visit the flea market this weekend and buy it back."

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter