Is this pretty accurate what we are going to be looking at over Christmas Eve - New Years?

Disneysince82

Mouseketeer
disneyland_december_crowds2.jpg
I found this pic talking about the crowds during Christmas -- this is supposedly Christmas Day. I know a lot of you go over the holidays so I was just curious if this is is pretty accurate of what we are looking at. I don't think we are going to adjust our plans(we are just really excited to go over the holidays) from skipping Christmas. We have played around with the idea of possibly just doing 5-6 days -- coming a little earlier & leaving before NYE. Also thinking of getting in EE, leaving mid day 1-6ish, and then hitting the park again a few yrs in the evening to help with crowds.

I guess if anything I am trying to prepare myself. If the whole park looks like this I am wondering if we will actually NEED the extra days just to do everything. We were thinking of doing a family photoshoot with a private photographer to get some nice pics. If it looks like this I am almost thinking we should not do it because I am not sure if we could get any decent pics.

Years ago (like 10 lol, so take with a grain of salt compared to more recent reports), we went two days after Christmas and had similar crowds. It seemed like New Orleans Square and Tomorrowland were the worst choke points. Basically very similar to the pic above...a sea of humanity being directed by CMs. I only recall it being like that in the afternoon to evening though, the mornings were good (I just actually looked at the old photos and we took our time taking pics on Main Street first thing in the AM and it wasn't as crowded).

Years ago (like 10 lol, so take with a grain of salt compared to more recent reports), we went two days after Christmas and had similar crowds. It seemed like New Orleans Square and Tomorrowland were the worst choke points. Basically very similar to the pic above...a sea of humanity being directed by CMs. I only recall it being like that in the afternoon to evening though, the mornings were good (I just actually looked at the old photos and we took our time taking pics on Main Street first thing in the AM and it wasn't as crowded).

Thanks for looking at pics :) If you dont mind me asking... would you go again over Christmas? I am almost hoping if we do a mid day break it could help, and because of that we need to not shorten the trip to 5-6 days. I guess if anything I am just trying to mentally prepare for it... and also prepare a DH -- who doesnt like crowds but knows it will be chaos. I've always wanted to do a big trip during the holidays and see as an adult Disneyland all done in Christmas.

There will always be this 'common sense' part of me that is in my ear & saying why arent you just going in January? You will have just as good as a time & cheaper LOL Probably good thing they havent released hotel booking yet or I would be staring at them

Thanks for looking at pics :) If you dont mind me asking... would you go again over Christmas? I am almost hoping if we do a mid day break it could help, and because of that we need to not shorten the trip to 5-6 days. I guess if anything I am just trying to mentally prepare for it... and also prepare a DH -- who doesnt like crowds but knows it will be chaos. I've always wanted to do a big trip during the holidays and see as an adult Disneyland all done in Christmas.

There will always be this 'common sense' part of me that is in my ear & saying why arent you just going in January? You will have just as good as a time & cheaper LOL Probably good thing they havent released hotel booking yet or I would be staring at them
Given the chance, I would go over that Christmas time again. It's just a different type of trip, you have to go in with appropriate expectations and pack your patience. You don't get as much done, but the atmosphere can be fun. My DH also does not like large crowds so it can be challenging, even in non Christmas times. We always take afternoon breaks regardless of the time of trip and that really helps. I also like to add a cocktail or two into our afternoon break so he can go in with a better mood regarding the crowds 😂

Given the chance, I would go over that Christmas time again. It's just a different type of trip, you have to go in with appropriate expectations and pack your patience. You don't get as much done, but the atmosphere can be fun. My DH also does not like large crowds so it can be challenging, even in non Christmas times. We always take afternoon breaks regardless of the time of trip and that really helps. I also like to add a cocktail or two into our afternoon break so he can go in with a better mood regarding the crowds 😂
Thanks! I think I am going in with the right attitude but then also trying to be prepared. I am also planning mid day breaks with a few cocktails :p It would be nice to be able to do it by a pool, but I am fully prepared for it to also be too cold. I have played around with the idea & had them put it on our reservations for Club level for breaks.

Do you think with the crowds 5-6 days will still be enough or is 8-9 days probably better? Right now we are booked from 12/24-1/1 With the kids being(5/15) if NYE will just be too much.

Either way I have a feeling this will be a core memory!

I can only really speak to NYE but yea that’s pretty accurate. The days leading up to Christmas can be like that as well. We regularly go right before Christmas and on actual NYE and crowds fluctuate throughout the day. NYE2022 was weird because of the rain and NYE2021 was a little bit lighter because they were still not at full cap.

We are MK (former APs) holders and make no attempt to ride anything during our NYE trip. The waits are unreasonable, we might ride a ride or two on NYD

I can only really speak to NYE but yea that’s pretty accurate. The days leading up to Christmas can be like that as well. We regularly go right before Christmas and on actual NYE and crowds fluctuate throughout the day. NYE2022 was weird because of the rain and NYE2021 was a little bit lighter because they were still not at full cap.

We are MK (former APs) holders and make no attempt to ride anything during our NYE trip. The waits are unreasonable, we might ride a ride or two on NYD
Ive heard that last year was really different because of the rain. I was thinking that NYE would be a day without rides and try just try to get reserved dining package for fireworks viewing. It is one of the reason I am wondering if we should either just do 24-28 or even 21-26. I have really wondering if with a DH who really dislikes(but will try very hard to not complain) and a 5 yr old if I am setting myself up LOL

Ive heard that last year was really different because of the rain. I was thinking that NYE would be a day without rides and try just try to get reserved dining package for fireworks viewing. It is one of the reason I am wondering if we should either just do 24-28 or even 21-26. I have really wondering if with a DH who really dislikes(but will try very hard to not complain) and a 5 yr old if I am setting myself up LOL
That was our plan last year as well. We had the dining package on NYE, but unfortunately the rain destroyed all of it. Between the possibility of rain derailing the trip and the insane crowds leading up to NYE, it was a one and done situation for us. I prefer the comfort of my recliner on NYE.

We do Disneyland each year from Dec 22-Jan 3. We enjoy it. No, it isn't that crowded the whole time. It is worse on the days the Rose Bowl teams arrive. NYE can be nuts, but figure out what is important for you to do. Since you are staying on property and club level, take time to enjoy that too.

You might consider alternate ways to get around the park. For example, you might enter the park by taking the monorail from DTD to Tomorrowland. Also, the train from Tomorrowland to New Orleans Square helps with the bottlenecks mentioned above. The train isn't faster than walking, but might make things less stressful.

Thanks! I think I am going in with the right attitude but then also trying to be prepared. I am also planning mid day breaks with a few cocktails :p It would be nice to be able to do it by a pool, but I am fully prepared for it to also be too cold. I have played around with the idea & had them put it on our reservations for Club level for breaks.

Do you think with the crowds 5-6 days will still be enough or is 8-9 days probably better? Right now we are booked from 12/24-1/1 With the kids being(5/15) if NYE will just be too much.

Either way I have a feeling this will be a core memory!
Regarding the length of time...that's tough. It depends on how relaxed the days would be and if you're planning on non park days. I remember you saying in another thread you're doing (or contemplating) a GCH and DLH split. If you're splitting I'd probably keep the longer length. On the switching day, you could make that a non park day. It may be too cool to warrant a cabana rental, but you could always do some exploring outside of the immediate DLR area until your new room is ready. I believe they can transfer your bags (but not sure if that came back after COVID), but if not, you can leave them with Bell Services.

It does sound like it will be an amazing trip!

We do Disneyland each year from Dec 22-Jan 3. We enjoy it. No, it isn't that crowded the whole time. It is worse on the days the Rose Bowl teams arrive. NYE can be nuts, but figure out what is important for you to do. Since you are staying on property and club level, take time to enjoy that too.
Club level is something I am deep diving into right now! Which property are you doing CL at?

You might consider alternate ways to get around the park. For example, you might enter the park by taking the monorail from DTD to Tomorrowland. Also, the train from Tomorrowland to New Orleans Square helps with the bottlenecks mentioned above. The train isn't faster than walking, but might make things less stressful.
Have you heard they are shutting down the Monorail and no set date to reopen? I think it was on Reddit someone posted a link from one of the Disney website.

Regarding the length of time...that's tough. It depends on how relaxed the days would be and if you're planning on non park days. I remember you saying in another thread you're doing (or contemplating) a GCH and DLH split. If you're splitting I'd probably keep the longer length. On the switching day, you could make that a non park day. It may be too cool to warrant a cabana rental, but you could always do some exploring outside of the immediate DLR area until your new room is ready. I believe they can transfer your bags (but not sure if that came back after COVID), but if not, you can leave them with Bell Services.

It does sound like it will be an amazing trip!
I REALLY wanted to rent a cabana which I know is silly and probably not even possible in the winter at that time. I am not sure why it got stuck in my head so much but it did lol

We still have both reservations and wanted to do a split so we could experience both, but I have heard so many people say that they felt like they were downgrading when they went to the DLH from the GCH -- I do 100% believe our kids would love DLH and even us. If we only did 5-6 days I think we would do just the GCH because it would be over Xmas. I was also thinking that 28th which would be rest/exploring day if we kept the full time.

This will be one of those 'once in a lifetime' trips if I am being realistic. Maybe that is why I am overthinking everything & also considering spending a stupid amount of $$$ The older kids(all adults... there is a big age difference between them and their sister LOL) all have done Disney trips(all done DL & 2 have done WDW & DCL) and they wont be on this trip. I did play around with doing a 2 bedroom suite and trying to get them all there but it would of been a nightmare trying to plan it -- also a no go over the holidays. This is the 14(15 at the trip)/5 yr old 1st trip -- it was originally planned to be over her birthday as a surprise. Our son will be entering high school & 5 yr old kindergarten it just feels special because we havent been able to travel the last few yrs. I can see us doing more even more so with our daughter in the future who already a huge Disney girl.

Club level is something I am deep diving into right now! Which property are you doing CL at?
We went in mid-December 2013, 2015, 2019 AND 2022. We always stay at Grand Californian and it is worth every penny. We especially like Club Level but they were sold out last year. I highly recommend it and you save $$$ over eating in the park. And the convenience was wonderful. Unfortunately, the crowds last year were just unbearable. I use a motorized scooter due to mobility issues and I was at a standstill much of the time as the crowd was just crushing around me.

We went in mid-December 2013, 2015, 2019 AND 2022. We always stay at Grand Californian and it is worth every penny. We especially like Club Level but they were sold out last year. I highly recommend it and you save $$$ over eating in the park. And the convenience was wonderful. Unfortunately, the crowds last year were just unbearable. I use a motorized scooter due to mobility issues and I was at a standstill much of the time as the crowd was just crushing around me.
Oh no I’m so sorry! The intense crowd thing has worried me I’m not going to lie. There is a tiny voice that had pretty much been a constant whisper asking me I am just not doing January-February

I REALLY wanted to rent a cabana which I know is silly and probably not even possible in the winter at that time. I am not sure why it got stuck in my head so much but it did lol
Don't write off that idea yet! Although December is supposedly the cool rainy season, there's also a chance of sunny and 70s or even higher. I've been in LA in January when everyone was wearing shorts.

Oh no I’m so sorry! The intense crowd thing has worried me I’m not going to lie. There is a tiny voice that had pretty much been a constant whisper asking me I am just not doing January-February
Even though it was packed last December, I would still encourage you to go during the Christmas season when the park is decorated. It is something the youngsters will never forget. Just brace yourself and stay close enough to take breaks in your room periodically. That's why we liked Grand Californian. It was so beautiful and close enough to go back and forth.

Would it be possible to have smaller crowd around Christmas because all the annual passes are blocked? I read that lately Saturdays and Sundays are less busy then weekdays.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter