Is Tijuana worth it?

Freyja

<font color=red>Formerly known as Sleepless in Den
Is Tijuana worth spending a few days there? What´s it like? The Residence Inn seem a nice place to stay there. Any comments?

We spent a few hours there during a 5-day visit to San Diego. I can't see staying overnight. My recommendation is to stay in San Diego and do a daytrip to Tijuana, if you really want to say you've been to Mexico.

Tijuana can be risky and many members of their police force are terribly corrupt. Before you visit, you should visit the State Department web site (www.state.gov) for the latest travel advisories for Mexico.

amen ...I couldnt have said it better myself...if your going because you want to go to Mexico I wouldnt...TJ isnt any prize town...its dirty and smells and I would never go there again...I used to live really close to TJ and frequently went...only because I was 18 and could drink...but now that Im older there is no way I would go back...but if you choose to go do what the previous poster said...stay in SD and go on a day trip...DONT take your car

I agree with what everyone else said...I wouldn't take kids down there, and as an adult I visited once, and that was enough.

Our kids were 8, 11, and 14 at the time we visited SoCal. While staying in San Diego (at the Holiday Inn Select on Hotel Circle Drive), we drove to the border and parked on the U.S. side - crossing the border on foot. I expected to have vendors call to us to buy things, but the guys in Tijuana were much more bold...actually draping jewelry over my 14-year-old daughter's arm. Needless to say, we stayed there for less than 2 hours.

We thought about going there, but were told by our insurance agent that our vehicle insurance wouldn't cover us if we went into Mexico.
So make sure you check that before you take a rental car there.

I'll have to agree with the other posters in saying that it's probably not a good idea to take your kids down to Tijuana. If you're looking to experience "Mexico", an option might be a trip to Olvera Street in Los Angeles:

http://www.olvera-street.com/html/olvera_street.html

The closest experience in San Diego I can think of would be visiting Old Town State Historic Park, but it might not be what you're looking for. Old Town deals more with the early history of San Diego and Mexico and I wouldn't burn a day visiting it if your time is limited in San Diego.

Regarding your question about The Residence Inn. I think that might be a good choice for your needs, in reading your other post. The Residence Inn in San Diego Mission Valley/Sea World would be a good, central location to all the attractions (Sea World, shopping, La Jolla, beaches, downtown/Seaport Village, Zoo). The Residence Inn in Downtown San Diego is another good option to consider.

HTH!

I lived near the border in Arizona...would I go to Tijuana? No way! You remember that movie "Traffic"? Well if you have seen that you have seen Mexico close to the border.

Tijuana....scary for adults...no way for anyone under 21...Heck...I know Marines who won't go there :)

Let us know what you decide.

I took my son in to TJ and we shopped a bit. We turned around when the lady in the bathroom was selling squares of toilet paper (one ply at that).

Right inside of the border is pretty icky. Kids running up to you to sell you chiclets and stuff. It made me sad. It seemed dirty and the air did not smell so fresh.

It can be very frightening. Trust your friends on the Diz -Do not go. Something could happen and there you are in a strange country with some corrupt officials. I would not chance it. There is so much to see in So Ca...enjoy :flower:

You asked the question.."Is Tiajuana worth it." It's value is "O". You could get a better experience in Bagdad except for the bombs.

I agree with everyone above. I've lived in San Diego for 17 years and have been to TJ 3 times, before I turned 21 for obvious reasons. Although there's nothing like seeing a mule painted like a zebra that your kids can take a ride on. Enough said.

NancyIL said:
We spent a few hours there during a 5-day visit to San Diego. I can't see staying overnight. My recommendation is to stay in San Diego and do a daytrip to Tijuana, if you really want to say you've been to Mexico.

Yeah - 100% agree! Dont spend the night there - a few hours one day is enough. Its not A "spend the night" kind of destination...at all!

OH! And you park on THIS side of the border, walk across, get a cab to the shopping district (theyre lined up to take you) and thats it.

No driving there - YIKES!

We went to Tijuana in 2002 and we hated it. We were supposed to have a tour of Tijuana then go for lunch then have some time shopping, but because some little kid was sick on the bus and it had to be cleaned, they dropped us off to do the shopping first....we were terrified!!!
We were grabbed by a man with a stripey donkey to have a photo taken, who wouldn't take no for an answer. We then walked a short way and all these men were saying "lady come see, come see" when I said no they said " bring the beautiful senorita in to see"( my daughter was just 14) again i said no, then he grabbed us by the arm and started pulling us in and he just kept showing stuff and wouldn't let us go so we ended up with 2 Gucci and 1 Rolex watch for $55!!! just so we could get out of the shop (and all 3 still work). We just went back and stood where the coach was picking us up for over an hour because we were so scared.
We then had the drive round and then stopped for lunch and as we walked from the coach to the restaurant, loads of little children came running over selling little dolls, some as young as 3 and they were so dirty and smelly, it was pitiful to see.
I would never go again and I would never recommend it to anyone.
Love Ella

I live near San Diego and I don't go down there. Yes you can find some wonderful deals on certain items, but you have to really have to be aware of conterfeits.

If you are going to shop for some items, then it may be fun. If you are going for the pure tourist aspect, I wouldn't go there. I would continue going down to Rosarito.

If you do go, don't stay the night. In fact plan on being out of there long before the night even hints at being close. remeber that you will be in a foreign country. The laws are different. Also, before you cross, pay the extra money for Mexican Insurance. Even if you are walking across, it will help if there is a medical emergency.

Good luck, be safe, and have fun.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter