Is Universal Studios worth it?

csolson2003

Earning My Ears
DH and I wanted to go to Six Flags Magic Mountain but it isn't open when we are there so we are thinking of Universal, is it worth the money? We were there 14years ago and it was good then but we haven't heard much about it lately. Any advice?
Is there anything else that might be good for 2 adults to do? Suggestions would be great.

We went for the first time in 11 years this past November. I didn't want to go but my DD (9 year old) really wanted to ride "The Mummy." I have to say I was pleasantly surprised at how much we enjoyed the park. We went during a slow time so I think that helped too. We loved the shows (in particular, Waterworld--what fun) and the rides. Afterwards (in order to avoid traffic) we went to the City Lights (name?!?!) and had dinner at Wolfgang Puck's restaurant and hit a movie. All in all, a very enjoyable day.

I would highly recommend that you buy the popcorn at Popcornopolis! What absolutely fantastic popcorn! So good in fact that I order it online in order to munch on it at home! My favorite has to be the cinnamon toast!!!!

I have to disagree with the other posts. DD and I went during an extremely slow time and there just wasn't that much to do. There are only 3 rides to speak of, and while the shows were very enjoyable and the popcorn WAS delicious...having done it once I have no desire to go back not would I say to anyone it's a "must see". I think I would rather have treated myself (more) to room service or a great meal.
Just my 2 pennies worth.

DH and I did it on our honeymoon this summer. I had been when I was very little and he had never been. Unfortunately we took a charter bus there and back, so we were kind of stuck when we ran out of things to do. Basically, we didn't feel there was enough there for us to do (I'm not into thrill rides, but DH kind of is) and we wound up spending our last few hours of the day walking around CitiWalk and eating dinner. We rode the Studio Tour (which was OK, but nothing fantasic -- Jaws was broken that day); saw Shrek; rode Back to the Future; did the Backdraft walkthrough and that was mainly it. It was hot, and very crowded when we were there, so that may have contributed to our bad experience.

NO! US is nothing like US at FL....for example, we rode the "mummy" ride in CA and at the end said "what, that's it? I thought that was the preshow!"...nothing much to do except studio tour bus and that's only fun if you sit in the front to taunt the tourguide (LOL...kidding).

DH and I wanted to go to Six Flags Magic Mountain but it isn't open when we are there so we are thinking of Universal, is it worth the money? We were there 14years ago and it was good then but we haven't heard much about it lately. Any advice?
Is there anything else that might be good for 2 adults to do? Suggestions would be great.

It's been awhile, but I would say yes it's worth it.

more shows, a few rides, but we have always enjoyed it when we've gone.

once every few years would be often enough for me though. but definitely enjoyable.

I was just there a few weeks ago and here is my take on it. I have been probably 4 or 5 times in my life. The first being over 20 some years ago as a kid. US HAS changed over the years but I can say in my adult life I went in the early 90's and other than adding a few rides and changing some of the shows it hasn't changed much.

Basically we went when my dd was a baby so that my 8 year old could enjoy it and I was pg with my 2nd daughter so I couldn't ride much. SOOO since we were up in the area to do the Rose Parade we decided to take the kids.

We went over 2 days because of the crowds but you can easily do the whole thing, tour, shows etc in less than a day if it is not crowded so if you DO go take your own car so you can leave. I enjoy city walk and would have liked to look around there more this last time but we didn't have the time.

I would say it is a fun place to do maybe once every 5 or so years (if there is new stuff that is).

I can honestly say now that we have taken the girls once I have NO desire to go back anytime soon.

If you have never been or haven't been in a LONG time I say go. It is def fun for the first time or if you haven't been in a long time BUT once you do it once you can stay away for a while.

I hope that helps.

We went this past May, first time for me in 22 years and first time ever for dh, dd (17), ds(16). We had a blast, we bought the front of the line pass, so there was no waiting for any ride. Got free guarantee Jay Leno tickets for a taping.

We honestly did not care for it. I got bored about 2-2 1/2 hours into being there. The studio tour was not really all that great. Saw a bunch of plain looking buildings and got told hey such and such films inside. Made me think ok I got to see the outside of a beige building where they film such and such. The rides well to say the least were mediocre. Mummy being prob the best, but also lasted less than 2 mins, and jurassic park was nothing thrilling just a basic water ride. They charge you for front of the line passes, which honestly there wasnt that much to do. The popcorn is awesome, but not worth the admission into the park. I have to say this was my first time going to Universal Studios Hollywood, and honestly probably would NOT go back as I just found it to be much much less than I expected.:bride:

We loved it. We took a VIP tour so that we visited areas not open to the general public so that was really cool. I think it really depends on your expectations. It is not Disneyland. But, the shows were excellent and the rides were fun enough. We loved the backlot tour and seeing the "behind the scenes stuff".

I haven't gone to USH in about 2 years and USF in 6 years. I think that based on your preference you'll find it worth it if you have the time otherwise you can just skip it. I was in there area last August and just skipped it as the attractions weren't as great as the ones in USF. The only plus in USH is the Studio tour. USF doesn't have a studio tour.

Hi, and thanks OP for the question. I feel kind of silly for asking, but does anyone know how far Disneyland, is from universal, is it very far? I will be staying near universal, with my hubby he is going to a convention, and i will be alone to myself for 3 whole days. I really, want to go to disneyland,as well as universal, but I dont think we will hire a car. Please tell me i can take a taxi, from the universal area,or does anyone know the best way, easiest from universal to disney without a car, is it doable??TIA

Hi, and thanks OP for the question. I feel kind of silly for asking, but does anyone know how far Disneyland, is from universal, is it very far? I will be staying near universal, with my hubby he is going to a convention, and i will be alone to myself for 3 whole days. I really, want to go to disneyland,as well as universal, but I dont think we will hire a car. Please tell me i can take a taxi, from the universal area,or does anyone know the best way, easiest from universal to disney without a car, is it doable??TIA

According to yahoo maps, it's about 40 miles away, and about 40 mins away. Depending on the time of day, Sunday morning at 8am, yes you can make it there in that time. Middle of the day rush hour, add about another half hour to that time.

jan

I wanted to add that there is supposedly a shuttle bus that goes to US. I know it goes from Disney TO US. I don't know about the other way around but you might try surfing the web or calling US to see or even Disneyland.

Good luck

My Family went to USH twice. Once regular which was ok and then on VIP tour which was the best. Like it was mentioned it just depends on if you are going to spend the money and take the VIP tour. The only way we would attend USH again is through VIP.

NO! US is nothing like US at FL....for example, we rode the "mummy" ride in CA and at the end said "what, that's it? I thought that was the preshow!"...nothing much to do except studio tour bus and that's only fun if you sit in the front to taunt the tourguide (LOL...kidding).

I thought the same thing about the Mummy ride. There was absolutely no line when we went and I remember thinking I'd be furious if I'd waited in line longer than 5 minutes for such a short, nothing of a ride.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter