Islands of Adventure with Small Kids?

traveler_t

Earning My Ears
We'll visit Orlando for the first time with kids (5yo, 7yo) for 4 days. We'll be 3 days in Disneyworld and consider if it's a good idea to go to Islands of Adventure in the last day. The kids do not like thrill rides so only slow / non-scary are an option.

1. Is there enough for them to do in Islands of Adventure for a day?
  2. Is it worth while staying at a Universal Resort to get early entry? It is a busy week (weekend after Presidents day).
  3. Which hotel would you recommend? Ideally with easy walking to the park, and also hotel that would be nice to stay in for a couple of hours before our late evening flight (we will not have the room anymore).
Thanks!

Well, one big advantage of staying a night in one of the Universal Orlando deluxe resorts (Hard Rock, Portofino, for example) is you'll be entitled to Express Pass the day you visit, If its busy, that could save you a lot of time waiting in line, as you'll bypass the regular standby line. As for what your kids will and won't like, you're probably best checking out more information on the Universal web site for the specific attractions. Seuss Land is very fun and very tame. But on a whole, we sort of view IOA as a bit more thrill oriented for kids than a MK, for example.

I'd say ride wise there isn't a ton to fit that but could fill a good bit of time. Seuss Landing has 4 rides that they'd probably like and a couple activity areas, Camp Jurassic has a playground type area and caves to explore, plus a slow suspended kids coaster they might, but the height could be a slight thrill. Outside of that though if they like Harry Potter there is a bit to explore in the land (rides are probably all too big of a thrill).
Depending on when you go and how much you want to spend, a park to park ticket could be good. This would allow access to the other park that is right next to IoA and has Diagon Alley to explore, Minions Land with a couple of attractions, ET dark ride, and sometime in 2024 a kids Dreamworks land. Plus with Park to Park can ride the Hogwarts Express train ride which is a different experience each direction so almost like 2 rides in one. This would defintiely give plenty to do in a day for the family.
As far as resorts, the deluxe resorts will be the closest for walking and will also give you Express Pass. Hard Rock is the closest hotel by far. Sapphire Falls and Aventura also have water taxi stations and these will take you very close to the park entrances as well inside CityWalk. For activities, especially with kids, I'd recommend Cabana Bay though. It's a prime value resort so the rooms are a little cheaper than the others but there is a ton to do. It has two pools, water slide, splash pad, and lazy river with sandy beach type areas that have fire pits and games. They have kids movies playing in an area by the food court, a bowling alley, and arcade. The vibe is very relaxed and fun as well. You can either take a bus to CityWalk and do the walk from there to the parks or walk across tot he water taxis at Aventura across the street.

Last edited:
Honestly, for only 4 days, a first time Orlando visit, and kids that age looking for kiddie type rides, I would skip IoA. SeaWorld or LegoLand might be more their speed, more bang for your buck for the kids, and a day away from quite so large of crowds. SeaWorld has lots of exhibits/shows, plus a whole Sesame Street area.

I don’t really think it would be worth it for kids who want slow and non-scary rides unless they’re big HP fans. I think my son was probably 5 the first time we went to Universal but he was being dragged along with the older kids. He enjoyed Suess land, pteranodan fliers, Flight of the Hippogriff, and storm force acceleration.

I'm a big Universal fan, but I'm not sure it would be worth the money in your case.

First, you can't see even a fraction of Disney in 3 days, so if you have the option to add a 4th day there, that is what I would do for a first trip. We had 10 days at Disney our first trip almost 20 years ago when crowds and waits were nothing like they are now. We only repeated a couple of attractions. We also did open to close most days. That's how big Disney is. We could have stayed longer and not been bored. Also, most of these big parks are cheaper the longer you stay and extremely expensive if you only do one day instead.

If that's not an option, I'd look at Legoland. It's one that kids grow out of quickly as it is definitely geared more toward the younger crowd, so great to go now before they get too old.

You could also look at the beach or just doing some other activities around Orlando. Visiting the orange groves is always nice, and you can have pinics there, and there is a playground for children.

However, if you want to go to Universal for yourself, but you just want to make sure the kids will have something to do, that's a different story. There are attractions young children can enjoy.

I'm not sure if it might be better to get a 2-park ticket to give you more variety or not. It really depends on your preferences.

Here's a list of the tame attractions in each park.

IOA - Islands of Adventure

Seuss Landing:
Caro-Seuss-el
- Carousel with Seuss creatures to ride on
The Cat in the Hat - slow moving indoor ride plus some spinning
One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish - Dumbo if someone was shooting water at you while you rode
The High in the Sky Seuss Trolley Train Ride - slow moving train, but on a track high in the air, might be scary if height is an issue
If I Ran the Zoo - interactive outdoor playground with splash sections
Oh! The Stories You'll Hear! - stage show with Seuss characters, highly recommend, this was a big hit with my girls, and they got an intimate meet-n-greet afterwards with the characters including the Grinch which was a highlight of our trip

Wizarding World of Harry Potter - Hogsmeade:
Flights of the Hippogriff
- very short kiddy coaster
Wand Show - HP themed store where you go to see the wand maker, short show, one guest is chosen to participate
Interactive Spell Areas - If you buy an interactive wand, you can cast spells around the HP area
Frog Choir - short performance on a small stage of people singing
Triwizard Spirit Rally - short street stage show, music, dancing

Jurassic Park:

Camp Jurassic
- kids outdoor playground / climb area
Jurassic Park Discovery Center - indoor educational exhibits on Dinosaurs, interactive hands on displays, very small
Pteranodon Flyers - sit down zip line type ride for younger kids, very high off ground, might be too scary if height is an issue

Toon Lagoon:
Me Ship, The Olive
- play area where you can shoot people floating by with water cannons

Marvel Super Hero Island:
Storm Force Acceleration
- Tea Cups (very mild X-men theming) spinning might be too intense
Meet-n-greets with Spiderman and other Marvel character, they will green screen in webs and different special effects for you in the pictures you take during the meet

Universal Studios - Florida

Production Central:
Despicable Me Minion Mayhem
- Imax style movie with 3D/4D effects and moving seats, you can also sit in non-moving seats at the front if you like, very tame if in the non-moving seats
Villain-Con Minion Blast - an arcade style shooting game on giant screens, you stand on a moving walkway

Wizarding World of Harry Potter - Diagon Alley
Ollivanders
- HP themed store where you go to see the wand maker, short show, one guest is chosen to participate
Interactive Spell Areas - If you buy an interactive wand, you can cast spells around the HP area
The Tales of Beedle the Bard - street stage show, part puppet show
Celestina Warbeck and the Banshees - street stage show, singers and danacers

World Expo:
Men in Black Alien Attack
- slow moving ride, but in a dark area surrounded by aliens, some spinning as well, overall tame, but theme might be too much

Springfield, USA
Kang & Kodos’ Twirl ‘n’ Hurl
- like Dumbo, just goes in circles

Woody Woodpecker's KidZone:
E.T. Adventure
- slow indoor dark ride, scariest part is the dark forest at the beginning, but it does go up high in the air
Animal Actors on Location - cute outdoor animal show, with birds, dogs, cats, raccoons, otters, etc., they do a variety of different tricks, some audience participation parts for kids and adults as well

Dreamworks Land
Depending on when you are going and when it opens, this area will have a kiddy coaster and playgroud and some other attractions geared towards children. I haven't really been following the news about it, so I'm not sure exactly what all has been announced besides those two attractions.

Misc.
There are also a number of street performers and shows that pop up around Universal Studios all throughout the day, and there is a parade that is geared toward children. There are also a variety of meet-n-greets with different characters, The Minions, Scooby Doo, Hello Kitty, Spong Bob, etc.

Note: You'll also want to check the height requirements for rides. That might factor into how muchof the above the 5 year old can do.

As far as hotels, all the premier hotels are nice and offer free skip the line passes. There are three, Hard Rock, Portofino, and Royal Pacific. They each have walking paths to the park and also offer boat service. Even the farthest one away is still relatively close at an 18 minute walk from the lobby to the security gate. They each have their own pros and cons, and any of them would be a nice place to spend a few hours just hanging out.

Personally, I love Hard Rock for being the closest hotel to the parks, only about 5 minutes from hotel to park entrance. I also love the onsite restaurant there, The Kitchen. I've never had a bad meal there. The rooms however I find small, and it is usually the most expensive.

Portofino, I love the pool area and the beautiful big rooms. I try to book it for trips when I plan to hang by the pool and stay at the hotel more. It has these amazing memory foam loungers and little pool attendants. It's so relaxing, but it's very spread out, always feels like a ghost town, and is the farthest walk to the park at almost 20 minutes.

Royal Pacific I like ok. Nothing wrong with it, but nothing really stands out to me about it. Walk is about 10 minutes, rooms are slightly smaller than Hard Rock, theming is ok. It's usually the cheapest, so we stay there more than the other two. The nachos at the pool bar are to die for, though. Probably my favorite thing about the hotel.

Cabana Bay is the on-site value hotel. It's retro 50s themed and about a 20 minute walk down a nice path through the resort to the park. It doesn't have a boat but a bus instead. It features probably the nicest pool area for kids with a lazy river. There is also a bowling alley there as well as private entrance to the Universal water park, Volcano Bay. The hotel also offers family suites with a kitchenette area including mini fridge, microwave, and sink. It's a fun themed hotel for a great value. It gives me the closest Dinsey level theming vibe of any of the hotels. I've enjoyed all my stays here.

A stay at CB with water prak tickets, depending on the time of year, might be another option to consider. Volcano Bay connects directly to Cabana Bay. It's like having a water park for your hotel's swimming pool. It is so quick and easy to come and go between the two. 1 Day Volcano Bay tickets are cheaper than 1 Day Universal tickets, and you said you wanted to spend some time hanging out at the hotel, so this might be a good compromise. We've done CB /VB trips before, and it was a great time, just relaxing, enjoying the water and hotel.

Also, keep in mind that unlike at Disney, at Universal if you stay at any of the hotels located in the main resort, you have access to the amenities at all the hotels in the main resort. You are allowed to pool hop from hotel to hotel. You can even use the gym at another hotel if you like, and the hotels are all a close walk away from each other. The only exceptions are the two off property Universal value hotels. Those hotels do not have amenity privileges at the on-site hotels.

I don't think there's much to do for younger kids at Islands of Adventure. Maybe 4 or 5 rides max. I would recommend LEgoland, Peppa Pig World or maybe Sea World. Personally, I would recommend a pool day rather than another theme park. 4 days of theme parks is a lot for younger kids.

Thanks nighttowll and everyone else for the great and detailed answers! It sounds like IoA is not the best option. You mentioned orange groves, is there a recommended one close to Disney?

Thanks nighttowll and everyone else for the great and detailed answers! It sounds like IoA is not the best option. You mentioned orange groves, is there a recommended one close to Disney?

I Haven't been recently, and it looks like they moved locations, but in the past, this was always a great inexpensive place to visit, especially with young kids.

Showcase of Citrus
https://showcaseofcitrus.com/activities/monster-truck-tour/

Here are a couple of overview videos

When in season, you can pick your own fruit from the groves, and they usually have fresh orange juice samples in the store. Plus, tons of different kinds of citrus to buy. There's a monster truck ride through the orange groves which is a lot of fun. You can usually find a Groupon for it. They have a playground area with a huge sand pit and construction toys to play with in the sand. There are picnic areas, and it looks like they have added food trucks now. You can bring your own lunch or buy something there. There are lots of fun silly photo ops around the place as well, and they have animals you can feed.

It's a bit touristy. The old location was as well, but from the videos, the new location looks way more roadside attraction than the original. Still, it's a fun place to visit where I think little boys could run around and get out some energy without all the stimuli and crowds of the parks. It would make for a nice lazy day. We've had fun in the past trying different citrus fruits we've never heard of before. There's a huge selection to buy in the store. We also always have to get a gallon of fresh squeezed orange juice to take back with us as there's nothing like it. I used to stop by just to buy the orange juice when I lived down there.

Universal is best for 10 or over. Only
Go if you want the rides. Legoland is so fun for that age. Or Disney for another day as 5+ days is barely enough there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter