Items you are surprised by the price of?

$5-6/lb for hamburger is crazy. I had $2.99 roast beef ground for me at the supermarket. They are glad to do it and I see exactly what goes into the meat.
i hear you on the ground beef-$5.99 a pound for 80/20 :faint:

i've done this for years-had the butchers turn lower price roasts into ground beef, soup/stew meat. once we got a grinder attachement for our kitchen aide i took to watching good sales on pork and we make sausage (bulk sausage is what i primarily use-we portion up bags and season it for the purpose needed when we defrost it). we are also fans of lamb and i have a few recipies that call for it ground-i can get a whole boneless leg for much less per pound than the 1 pound packages of ground so we set up the kitchen aide and start packaging.

So to post something positive, make sure you browse around Lowes.

Things get marked down there all the time and you just find them randomly. I picked up a $300 Chamberlain garage door open for $67, left 5% for my Lowes credit card - so a bargain. They still sell it for $300 ship to store.

we saw this in action last summer-we were doing a deck remodel and wanted to replace the wooden railing with the cable style. our contractor went to lowes to get supplies and came back to share that it did'nt happen often but he was going to have to LOWER his bid for the job b/c while the website showed one price for the cable kits-lowes had them on the shelves at 60% markdown:banana: that resulted in a significant savings.

Milk just went over $4 a gallon this week, and eggs are back up to $3.60 a dozen. Now that there are 5 of us I have gone back to getting staples at Walmart, so I'm still paying $2.50 a loaf for "brand name" bread (Freihofer's). I can usually catch a sale on DH's Mountain Dew; right now a 6 pack of the 16oz (I think) bottles is about $4 with tax and bottle deposit.

However, in general, I am always shocked by how much everything costs overall these days. Fortunately, if I shop carefully I can usually get SOME sort of chicken for under $2 a pound, but steak is another story, and burger is around $5 on sale, which kills me... $15 for meat to make meatloaf??? We don't have Aldi or any of the other low-cost stores here, and I am not a fan of produce or meat from Walmart (spoils so quickly), so we're kinda stuck.
Do you have any local farms or butcher shop? I go direct to those and you usually have to buy larger quantities but you can freeze it in smaller portions.

Well. I certainly won't complain about Gas being 2.69 a gallon, Ground chuck being $4 a pound ($3.49 for 80/20 gb) eggs being 1.29 and Milk being 3.09.

Deli meats. I refuse to pay $10-12/lb for ham! I bought a nice sliced cryovac 3 lb ham which I will bake, serve as a meal and then we can enjoy sliced ham. It was $3.99 a lb. I'm getting creative.

$5-6/lb for hamburger is crazy. I had $2.99 roast beef ground for me at the supermarket. They are glad to do it and I see exactly what goes into the meat.

Bread products. We like those sweet dinner rolls, but I won't pay $5 for a package of 12. We have been buying bags of frozen dough rolls that look like gofl balls. I lay 12 out on foil that has been sprayed and place plastic wrap over. In about 4 hours they have risen and I bake for 10 minutes yum! 36 rolls in a bag for about $4.50.
This is what gets me. Why are people paying $12 a pound for ham, when they can go get better ham right from in the store for $2.59-$4.99 depending on the ham?

I guess I'll add to the price increases:

I went to our local family owned grocery stores, which is more expensive than Walmart, etc, and paid $4.69 for a dozen large eggs. The 18 count was 6 dollars even, and is what I usually buy. I use a lot of eggs.

I bought cubes of coke products when they were under 9 dollars last week, for a 12 count. Our store usually runs a sale on Pop every 2 weeks or so, and I wait for those to come up.

Other than those 2 items, I haven't noticed anything rising rapidly over their usual cost.

Dunkaroos - they sell a single pack for $2.50+. That's insane. There are maybe 10 nickel size cookies and a dollop of frosting. Thankfully BJs sells a big box for about $16, because I love me some Dunkaroos but not at $2.50 a pop.

My DD had me pick up a tray of mac n cheese she had ordered at Chick Fil-A. It was $74! (She paid for it) I don't eat fast food, so was quite surprised by that. I probably would have gone to Costco if it was my order.

My husband taught himself to bake using You Tube. He now has a stand mixer, a set os USA pans and various tools. He has been buying flour , powdered milk etc in 50lb bags and storing in plastic containers. He now bakes all of our bread, rolls, baguettes, pita pockets, and recently attempted blueberry muffins. He enjoys it. He used to make beer but stopped drinking so this is his new hobby. It’s saving us a ton too. Oh and last year we added an Ooni pizza oven so he can make pizza. Once I perfect the sauce we will be good. We finally got the dough and the cheese sorted. We initially started how you did.
He's invited over ANY TIME LOL!!! DH can't boil water!!! :rolleyes1

Milk just went over $4 a gallon this week, and eggs are back up to $3.60 a dozen. Now that there are 5 of us I have gone back to getting staples at Walmart, so I'm still paying $2.50 a loaf for "brand name" bread (Freihofer's). I can usually catch a sale on DH's Mountain Dew; right now a 6 pack of the 16oz (I think) bottles is about $4 with tax and bottle deposit.

However, in general, I am always shocked by how much everything costs overall these days. Fortunately, if I shop carefully I can usually get SOME sort of chicken for under $2 a pound, but steak is another story, and burger is around $5 on sale, which kills me... $15 for meat to make meatloaf??? We don't have Aldi or any of the other low-cost stores here, and I am not a fan of produce or meat from Walmart (spoils so quickly), so we're kinda stuck.
leebee, I feel your pain...you need to visit NH a bit more often! Aldi's in Dover and Portsmouth. Trader Joe's in Newington. Didn't Market Basket open a few stores in ME? :wave:

$175 for an oil and air filter change. I'm just glad there is still an auto repair place near me that will agree to do the work. Many of the service stations have sold to developers to build 6 story apartments.

$175 for an oil and air filter change. I'm just glad there is still an auto repair place near me that will agree to do the work. Many of the service stations have sold to developers to build 6 story apartments.

:crazy2: :crazy2: :crazy2: i just looked at what we recently paid-just shy of $70. that is crazy pricing.

:crazy2: :crazy2: :crazy2: i just looked at what we recently paid-just shy of $70. that is crazy pricing.
Seattle. What do you expect? When I try to bring our car there they won't even take my business. My wife has to do it because they love when she comes in. They always get her right in.

This is why so many people in Seattle are getting rid of their cars. Too expensive and nowhere to park them.

My wife's Camry uses full synthetic oil and $70 is about what my mechanic charges. Of course the dealer charges $140!
My Flex uses synthetic oil blend and my mechanic charges about $60.
My 65 Mustang used plain old oil, my mechanic charges about $40 for that, but it needs to be lubed since it has old fashion grease fittings, so that adds $10, so brings up up to $50.
What oil your car uses seems to be what can drive up the price.

This is why so many people in Seattle are getting rid of their cars. Too expensive and nowhere to park them.
or they are moving over to this side of the state and taking advantage of the lower cost of living.

My wife's Camry uses full synthetic oil and $70 is about what my mechanic charges. Of course the dealer charges $140!
My Flex uses synthetic oil blend and my mechanic charges about $60.
My 65 Mustang used plain old oil, my mechanic charges about $40 for that, but it needs to be lubed since it has old fashion grease fittings, so that adds $10, so brings up up to $50.
What oil your car uses seems to be what can drive up the price.
Yeah - Subaru is crazy expensive for an oil change - 134.95 for synth and 104.95 for standard....and that is with the coupon!!!!

I can do it cheaper elsewhere, but its just not worth it. Subaru is in and out in 20 minutes or so. Other places you have to leave it and come back or wait an hour or so.. and I don't trust jiffy lube - too many horror stories.

One GM dealer I used to go to had a really nice set up, so I did not mind waiting. High end espresso machine and fresh Italian Pastries...but they started charging an extra amount (it was a lot - for some reason I think it was 50 - but regardless it was too much) for non GM cars. We had been going there for years and they did not bother to mention it when we brought the car in. The never even responded to my email. I had purchased three used cars there over the years. neve again...lost a customer for life. Who wants a Chevy anyway - the used cars I bough there were never Chevys.

Petrol. Stupidly expensive.
Yeah...it is. I always look at it compared to a gallon of milk though. At least in the states its usually less than milk and I feel the cost to produce gas is higher. Could be wrong. Both are a lot of work no doubt. But lots of milk is just dumped and they are subsidized not to produce it in the states. ("In 2018, 42 percent of revenue for US dairy producers came from some kind of government support. ")

Anyway - as for cost of Petrol in the EU/UK (I assume EU/UK since you said Petrol) I am sure you are well aware - but much of that is tax:
£0.5295 per litre - £2.00/US gallon
€0.36 per liter Minimum in EU - ($1.55 per gallon)
The US federal tax is 18.4 cents per gallon - and then varies by state - California is number one at 62 cents per gallon.

In
Yeah...it is. I always look at it compared to a gallon of milk though. At least in the states its usually less than milk and I feel the cost to produce gas is higher. Could be wrong. Both are a lot of work no doubt. But lots of milk is just dumped and they are subsidized not to produce it in the states. ("In 2018, 42 percent of revenue for US dairy producers came from some kind of government support. ")

Anyway - as for cost of Petrol in the EU/UK (I assume EU/UK since you said Petrol) I am sure you are well aware - but much of that is tax:
£0.5295 per litre - £2.00/US gallon
€0.36 per liter Minimum in EU - ($1.55 per gallon)
The US federal tax is 18.4 cents per gallon - and then varies by state - California is number one at 62 cents per gallon.
In that case we're about $7 a gallon.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter