"It's an adventure" Day 0: The trip to Gatwick

wickesy

<font color=royalblue>Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love y
Cast
Me: David – 35 – Planner
Dad: Ray – 60 – Bank Roll

I woke up at 4:00 a.m this morning and had trouble getting back to sleep again. When I did finally get back to sleep I had a weird dream where I flew a plane load of people somewhere and then when it was time to come back I couldn’t find the airport building. I hope that’s not a sign of things to come!
I had originally thought I would be working today but I found out a couple of days ago that I had an extra day of annual leave that I had forgotten about so I got up about 9:00, had a shower, shave etc. and did the last few bits of packing.

At 11:00 I did online check-in to make sure I bagged the seats I had pre-assigned last year and printed off the boarding passes so all we would need to do at Twilight check-in was drop the bags off.

I then did some last minute DISing, which was lucky as reading one post I realised that I hadn’t put my driving licence in – a bit of a problem when you are picking up a hire car at the other end :scared1:

Our taxi was booked for 2:00 and he was outside bang on time, I think he had probably been waiting at the end of the road! Traffic was light and he dropped us off at Gatwick’s South Terminal at 3:00.

We made our way over to Twilight check-in and found a German party in the queue in front of us who appeared to be repacking their suitcases. Once they had sorted themselves out we got to the desk and dropped our bags off no problems at all. One interesting thing that we realised later was that we weren’t asked the normal security questions like “Did you pack the bags yourself?” etc.

Bags gone we took the monorail over to the North terminal and walked round into the Sofitel. We got an airport view but as we were on a low floor all we could see was the car park and terminal building.

P4100001.jpg

P4100002.jpg

P4100005.jpg

Sorry the first one is a bit blurry.

To celebrate the start of the holiday we had a drink in the hotel bar and then went for a walk around the airport terminals to find somewhere to eat. We decided that Garfunkels looked good but as it was still early we went back to the Sofitel to relax for a while. This was when I saw my first hidden Mickey – as I laid on the bed the shadow of the smoke detector on the ceiling looked just like the classic hidden Mickey shape. We also took the opportunity to fill out the US immigration and Customs forms we had been given at check-in.

Around 6:00 we went back down to Garfunkels and although I can’t remember what we both had I know we both enjoyed it. From there we went back to the hotel bar for a nightcap and then on up to bed to dream of the days ahead.

Tomorrow: “It’s Virginia Plain, no it’s Barbarella” Day 1

We love the Soffitel, but were not so keen on Garfunkles. not much choice though at that terminal.

keep writing the reports as can't wait to find out what you thought of all the new stuff added in the last 15 years.

susan

Enjoying your report Wickesy, next installment please!

We usually stay at the Sofitel, I prefer it to the Hilton.

Kev

I love been near the airport, it makes it sooo real:goodvibes

:)

Jodie

Exciting! Nice to see some pictures of the sofitel as thats where we will be staying on monday night! :banana: :banana: :banana:

Lovely start - staying overnight at the airport is a great way to kick off the holiday :thumbsup2

Good pre-holiday day, nice that you didn't have to go to work. The hotel looks nice.

Laur's princess:

great start off to read some more

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter