It's Good to be a Passholder :-) - a January 2020 Trip Report

Was the theme of the park just not his cup of tea? Or was there something specific that happened to suck the fun out of the experience?
I don’t think it was the theme. We loved the rides, we loved all the animals. We came across quite a few less than helpful, and some downright rude team members so that left a sour taste in his mouth.

Friday, January 24th: lunch time!

In addition to the great price on the annual passes, one of the other deals we picked up on the Blue Friday sales over Thanksgiving weekend were tickets to SeaWorld's "Dine With Orcas". Formerly Dine With Shamu (but now rebranded to fit more with the park's mandate of education), we had enjoyed this luncheon experience a few times before, so we didn't hesitate to book when offered at half price on the BF sales. Normally $29..99 per person, we snagged passes for just $14.99 each.....which was a steal.

We took the bridge across the lagoon to head to the check in area.

There was a small line already formed when we arrived, so we found a spot along the walkway and a TM with clipboard walked along taking names and verifying reservations. We only had to wait about 10 minutes before the doors were opened and they began ushering each party to their individual tables. While we waited, I spotted @Joanna71985 in line ahead of us, so I couldn't pass up the opportunity to say hello! That was a fun surprise because neither of us knew the other had reservations for that same date.

Once the doors were opened, we were directed to one of the greeters who brought us inside the open-air building (fully covered overhead but otherwise open to the elements) and showed us to our poolside table.

A server came over once we were seated and to take our beverage orders. All non-alcoholic drinks are included, while beer and wine is also available at an extra cost. We just went with a pair of Coke Zeros .... we were feeling the effects of our early morning a bit, so neither one of us felt like anything stiffer than pop.

With our drink orders placed, we were offered to partake of the buffet whenever we were ready. Steve was starving so he didn't need to be told twice!

For a buffet, the offerings are extensive and the quality is pretty decent. I'm a picky eater and there's tons of stuff I enjoy (which is saying something!). Every item is obtained through sustainable sources, and there are lots of kid-friendly options for those with less advanced palates (and us BIG kids are free to enjoy the chicken nuggets, too!).

The only food item we didn't like, strangely enough, was the mac & cheese. I'm not sure what they did different with it, but I couldn't eat it. That's the joy of a buffet, though.....if you don't like it, leave it on your plate and help yourself to something else instead. There were a whole lot of other foods that you don't see pictured on either of our plates....there was a make-your-own nacho bar, fresh fish, loaded mashed potatoes, hot dogs, rice and several other sides.

One major change since our last experience at Dine With Orcas was dessert. They eliminated the buffet-style dessert options (which, if memory serves me correctly used to be various cakes, pudding, and cookies) and instead brought each table their own dessert tray consisting of small squares, cupcakes and cookies.

I actually really like this change. The main course is extensive and filling, so the rich cakes featured in the previous format were really a bit much......and who feels like schlepping through the buffet line again when you're already so full? This was enough to satisfy the sweet tooth and could be enjoyed at our leisure without having to leave our seats. Our server offered coffee or tea to accompany the treats, which we declined but I kind of regretted afterward. Since the tray was left for us for the duration of the meal experience, we sampled and snacked away throughout the rest of our time there and ended up eating most of it (those cupcakes were REALLY good......and the brownie was surprisingly yummy despite its rather unassuming appearance). A cup of coffee or a glass of milk would have been a great accompaniment!

As we enjoyed our meal, we were treated to some pretty fun distractions in the pool on the other side of the glass. Several whales frolicked and splashed, growing excited to show the luncheon guests some of their amazing talents and abilities.

Once most folks had wrapped up the greatest portion of their dinner and were contently resting in their chairs, it was time to get an even better up-close glimpse of these amazing creatures.

The conclusion of Dine with Orcas is coming up next.

I hope so too, my friend. You'll love it!

How long are your SW tickets valid for, if the worst happens and you don't get to go in June as planned?

Looks like the tickets are good through February 2021, but I assume those dates would probably be relaxed with everything that has been going on. I assume things will be back up and running by mid June, but I don't know if we are going to feel comfortable going out in big crowds then. It's just too hard to tell right now.

As a native South Carolinian, I am tickled to hear that you are interested in visiting our state! Make sure to hit me up for info before you plan a trip :)

I don’t think it was the theme. We loved the rides, we loved all the animals. We came across quite a few less than helpful, and some downright rude team members so that left a sour taste in his mouth.

Aw man, that makes me SO sad. Those kinds of first impressions leave a mark, for sure. We have been so fortunate to have met the most amazing Ambassadors at SeaWorld over the years (one you will read about in a future entry in this report), but there's always a few bad apples in every bushel. Hopefully he will be ready to give the park another try at some point, and there will be some SeaWorld redemption!

Looks like the tickets are good through February 2021, but I assume those dates would probably be relaxed with everything that has been going on. I assume things will be back up and running by mid June, but I don't know if we are going to feel comfortable going out in big crowds then. It's just too hard to tell right now.

As a native South Carolinian, I am tickled to hear that you are interested in visiting our state! Make sure to hit me up for info before you plan a trip :)

That's an offer I could not refuse!!

I suspect the wedding will happen within a couple of years......he has the ring (!!!) and is just waiting for the right time to pop the question. He had some fun plans that got nixed with the quarantine, so he's currently working on Proposal Plan B. So its possible that we could head your way sometime in 2022! Unless I can squeak in an extra trip in 2021......:scratchin.

Edited to add......I thought "Michigander" was a mouthful, but "South Carolinian" has us beat!! :rotfl2:

That's an offer I could not refuse!!

I suspect the wedding will happen within a couple of years......he has the ring (!!!) and is just waiting for the right time to pop the question. He had some fun plans that got nixed with the quarantine, so he's currently working on Proposal Plan B. So its possible that we could head your way sometime in 2022! Unless I can squeak in an extra trip in 2021......:scratchin.

Edited to add......I thought "Michigander" was a mouthful, but "South Carolinian" has us beat!! :rotfl2:

How exciting!! I saw a picture of the cute couple on your FB❤

Friday, January 24th: Dine with Orcas, continued

As I mentioned a little earlier, we had done this dining experience a few times before.....with Jake at least a couple of times, and just the two of us at least once.....so we knew what to expect. I always find it interesting now to watch the reactions of some of the other guests once the post-meal information session with the whales gets underway. While most folks are definitely thrilled with the presentation, there are always a few folks who are not quiet about their disappointment. A surprising number of folks seem to expect that this dining experience features a show similar to One Ocean, but that's definitely not the case. Dine With Orcas focuses much more on education and information: it's an opportunity for the training staff to share cool facts and details on the behaviors, abilities, and natural personalities of the animals they support.

A large extended family sat a couple of tables down from us, and sadly they were among the completely underwhelmed. Pretty sure, based on the conversation we could clearly hear, that they had promised massive jumps and intense splashes to the several children in their party......and the annoyance was palpable. I felt rather bad for them, because they were so focused on what WASN'T happening that they were missing all the great things that were.

One of the things I love most about SeaWorld is how much the animal care staff truly love the animals they work with. It's evident in their faces, their body language, and the responses of the animals. Steve and I are very much "animal people", so those kinds of relationships really make our hearts full. Watching the orcas show off their amazing intelligence and abilities is an absolute joy.

There's always lots of positive reinforcements going on during the sessions as well, as the whales enjoy the tasty rewards offered up by the trainers. After each behavior that they exhibited for us.....from rolling over on their backs to allow for blood draws, to waving their fins at the wide-eyed children on the other side of the glass wall.....they were rewarded with a healthy handful of their favorite snack.

To the delight of the crowd, there were even a couple of flips and splashes to end off the dinner experience....not One Ocean caliber, but enough to make sure that everyone left with a smile on their faces. How could you not?

Once dinner had concluded, we decided it was a good time to make our way back to the truck and head over to the Vistana to check into our villa. Having been up so early that morning to catch our flight, we didn't want to overdo things on day 1.....and we had another full day at SeaWorld on the itinerary to enjoy all the other great things the park has to offer.

Next up: a wonderful "Welcome Home".

Last edited:
Wow, you really know how to pack the activity into a first day! I am so impressed with what you were able to accomplish. We haven't been to SW in awhile, and I can see we need to add it to our next trip. The penguin ride is new to us, that looks fun! And Sesame Street?! I have to, I cannot miss it! Dining with the Orcas looked both tasty and fun. What a shame some people had a different understanding of the experience. This is why reading is fundamental :D You are off to a magnificent start, Thank You again for sharing your trip -- it comes at a time when we all need some sunshine!

Wow, you really know how to pack the activity into a first day! I am so impressed with what you were able to accomplish. We haven't been to SW in awhile, and I can see we need to add it to our next trip. The penguin ride is new to us, that looks fun! And Sesame Street?! I have to, I cannot miss it! Dining with the Orcas looked both tasty and fun. What a shame some people had a different understanding of the experience. This is why reading is fundamental :D You are off to a magnificent start, Thank You again for sharing your trip -- it comes at a time when we all need some sunshine!

The park was so quiet, it seemed like we did a lot but it was at such a relaxed pace, it felt very low key. The Dine With Orcas meal was ideal, really.....relaxing but still entertaining (and we were hungry enough that we could do the buffet justice). We probably could have squeezed in a show on that day if we really wanted to, but we knew there would be plenty of time for that on other days. We have definitely learned, over the course of all these trips, when to realize we have done "enough". When we listen to those limits (and "enough" can be due to so many factors....heat, tiredness, crowds, etc.) we have MUCH better vacations! And more fun in the end.

The penguin fun lacks a thrill (and has garnered a ton of criticism since opening) but the penguin exhibit itself is so awesome. I'd be happy to have just the Penguins without the ride, so the ride just is a happy bonus!

Definitely plan to visit the park and tour Sesame Street......its adorably done. We spent more time in that section of the park on other days of the trip, so I will have many more pics to share. The parade is fabulous as well! Wish we had have had more time to devote to seeing that from start to finish.

There was a small line already formed when we arrived, so we found a spot along the walkway and a TM with clipboard walked along taking names and verifying reservations. We only had to wait about 10 minutes before the doors were opened and they began ushering each party to their individual tables. While we waited, I spotted @Joanna71985 in line ahead of us, so I couldn't pass up the opportunity to say hello! That was a fun surprise because neither of us knew the other had reservations for that same date.

The only food item we didn't like, strangely enough, was the mac & cheese. I'm not sure what they did different with it, but I couldn't eat it. That's the joy of a buffet, though.....if you don't like it, leave it on your plate and help yourself to something else instead. There were a whole lot of other foods that you don't see pictured on either of our plates....there was a make-your-own nacho bar, fresh fish, loaded mashed potatoes, hot dogs, rice and several other sides.

It was so nice seeing you!

Also, I agree about the mac and cheese (I liked it better before)

Friday, January 24th: Sheraton Vistana Resort

From SeaWorld, we headed over to the Welcome Center at Sheraton Vistana Resort to check in. It wasn't quite 4 o'clock yet, but it WAS mid-afternoon by this point so we felt pretty confident that our villa was likely ready. We had sent in our pre-arrival requests several weeks earlier, asking for a 3rd floor villa "our" section (Fountains I) if at all possible, but since this was not one of our ownership weeks (where a Fountains villa is a guarantee) we knew we could realistically be placed anywhere within the resort. That said, we had forged a pretty good relationship with the current pre-arrival coordinator, so we were hopeful that she might be able to keep us within our home area, especially during a slower time of year. Heading into the Welcome Center, we were able to walk right up to a waiting check-in agent and were delighted to learn that we did, indeed, receive a top-floor villa in Fountains building 30.

The sales staff assigned us our parking pass and didn't even bother to try and get us to attend a "resort preview" (when we use our ownership weeks, they refer to the sales meetings as "owners updates".....but its the same dirt). We were literally in and out within 15 minutes.....with most of that time being pleasant chit-chat with the woman who provided us with our keys, resort map, and activity schedule.

We first stayed at the resort in 2013 and it was love at first visit. We purchased our two units resale in 2014, and the Vistana has become our home base ever since. While we have stayed at other properties very occasionally since that time, our hearts definitely consider SVR "home". We know the resort (particularly this north side) like the back of our hands, so we didn't need the color-coded map to locate our building.

Time to haul our luggage up all those stairs! (I have to say, that's always a bit of a bummer.....but wait until you see the inside of the 3rd floor villas. It is definitely worth the extra muscle to have those gorgeous vaulted ceilings and the skylights to let in all that lucious Florida sun).

We opened the door to this:

It was good to be home :goodvibes .

It was sparkling clean and SMELLED fresh. I was a happy girl.

We set about settling in, hanging up our clothes in the closet and our toiletries in the bathrooms. But that's all boring stuff, so let me take you on a tour of our digs!

We had a full kitchen with breakfast bar:

A spacious open-concept living and dining area (seating for 6!) with french doors to the screened in patio:

The guest bedroom has two double (full size) beds.....always a shame to see it go unused, but we couldn't convince any friends or family to join us (though we tried).

The guest room also has it's own full size ensuite. That second bathroom we DO use. It's nice to have two bathrooms when traveling with your spouse! LOL

The master bedroom has a king size bed, and direct access to the screened in balcony. It's SO spacious and roomy!

Continued in the next entry....I've hit my per-post photo limit!

Friday, January 24th: Sheraton Vistana Resort, continued

The master bedroom ensuite is one of my favorite features of the villas. There is a separate dressing area between the bedroom and the master bath:

The bathroom has a large stand-up shower:

.....and a sizable jacuzzi tub.

The screened in balconies have an overhead fan and exterior lighting for those who enjoy early morning or late night relaxing in the open air. We love the Fountains section because these villas have a back set of stairs which allows direct access to the pool in addition to the front stairs that take you to the parking area. Rather than having to walk down the front and around the building, you can go straight down from the balcony and be right at the pool gate. Perfect!

This was the view we enjoyed all week from the balcony. This particular building is one of my favorites in the whole resort.....and this is one of the reasons why.

Ah, this photo makes me miss is so badly. I absolutely hate knowing our May trip is so unlikely to happen. I can't imagine having to wait to return until the fall......it seems like forever.

But.....again I digress......

We were actually quite efficient at getting unpacked (practice really does make perfect!) so that task took less time than we thought it would. Once we had the suitcases emptied and stowed in the spare closet, we indulged in a short rest in the villa to recharge a bit and touch base with our family to let them know we were happily settled. After a brief siesta, we decided to indulge in an early-ish dinner in case our 2 am wake up call started to catch up with us once the sun set. One of the things I hate most about January is how DARK it gets so early in the evening. Makes you want to go to bed at 8 pm because it feels like midnight.

Our next stop would be Universal's CityWalk.

Coming up: Run, Forrest, Run!

Very nice digs, I can see why you love it so much! And 2 bathrooms on vacation is pampering for everyone. I love that they just sent you on your way and didn’t try to get you to attend the sales pitch. This first day just gets better and better! 😁

I agree, those photos make me "home"sick too!

We have now skipped 2 years at SVR, so itching to get back. I really hope things have settled by next March and the borders are open again! :oops:

If the borders are not open by March, I will either be crazy or no longer living in the USA. There is absolutely no way I can be separated from my family that long!! :worried:

That is one stunning hotel! I can see why you love to stay there

Its a beautiful resort.....and the amenities are lovely as well. We never seem to have much opportunity to enjoy them with our hectic itineraries, but we could easily never leave the property and have TONS to do!

Very nice digs, I can see why you love it so much! And 2 bathrooms on vacation is pampering for everyone. I love that they just sent you on your way and didn’t try to get you to attend the sales pitch. This first day just gets better and better! 😁

Steve says I have "the look" when I'm at the sales desk :bitelip:. The look that says "I've been up since 2 am and I don't have time for any baloney". I, personally, think I'm delightful LOL.....but perhaps I don't hide my feelings well. Seriously, just pass me my parking pass and I'll get out of your hair! :rotfl2:

Friday, January 24th: the conclusion

It kind of seemed like it was a bit out of the way, but we decided to make the drive to CityWalk for dinner at one of our Universal favorites. We have free preferred parking with our Premier Annual Passes, so we knew we'd get a good spot in the garage (even at that time of day) and have a pretty easy walk to our dinner destination. Heading into the hub, there was absolutely no line for security so we walked straight up to one of the scanners, passed through, and were on our way to Bubba Gump's Shrimp Company.

It took us a LONG time to try Bubba Gump's......like, 9 years and about 17 trips. Neither one of us are seafood fans, so we always avoided it on the assumption that there'd be nothing on the menu that we'd eat. It killed me a little, though, because Forrest Gump is one of my all-time favourite movies, so the theming has always had a wistful appeal leaving me yearning to give it a go. A couple of trips ago, we threw caution to the wind and decided to have a meal there.....figuring it would be a one-and-done....but it was a winner. Non-fish-lovers, take note! There are other options for you besides seafood.

The restaurant was pretty much empty (that late January period really did turn out to be a low-crowd time of year!) so we had absolutely no wait to be seated. In fact, we had hardly any "neighbors" in our section of the restaurant. This pic was actually taken when it got busy(er) as our meal went on.

They have done a SUPERB job at the decor in this restaurant. If you're a fan of the movie, even just a little bit, you won't be able to stop looking at the gobs of memorabilia that adorn every square inch of the interior. It's a feast for the eyes! I especially love the bathroom humor ("I gotta pee!") that they have woven throughout the building.....and yes, you can even buy a "I gotta pee!" t-shirt in the very cool onsite gift shop.

On every table, you'll find a large steel bucket filled with brown paper towel and an assortment of condiments that you might need during your meal. There's also a set of license plates which act as a sign to your server: if you display the blue Run Forrest Run side, the staff know you're all good and don't require any assistance. Flip the plate to display the red Stop Forrest Stop, and you'll soon have a staff member at your table ready to assist (for drink refills, issues with your meal, you're ready for the check, etc.).

On previous visits, we've had the servers engage us in some fun movie trivia, but this time the mood was a little more low-key. That was okay with us, actually, since we were starting to feel our early morning and were happy for a peaceful first night meal.

We ordered a couple of drinks to start. I *love* their cocktails....they are SO YUMMY! This was, if I remember correctly, called Louisiana lemonade.....loaded with fresh strawberries.....and it was the kind of drink that I could easily have downed three of (but then I wouldn't have been able to walk without assistance LOL).

An added bonus....the drink price includes the souvenir glass. When you're finished your meal, you just head to the gift shop, show them your receipt, and they give you two brand new glasses all boxed and ready to pack in your suitcase. They look great on our bar at home, and we actually use them quite often for our own drink creations.

We had learned, on our previous visits, that portion sizes were VERY generous, so we opted to skip any appetizers and just order entrees. We often tend to over-order.....our eyes are bigger than our stomachs sometimes!.....and end up carting left-overs back to the villa. They collect and pile up throughout the week (because we never seem to ever feel hungry in the late evenings, with all the dining destinations that we build into the itinerary), then we have a whole ton of food to throw away on our check-out morning which always makes us feel wasteful. This time, we vowed to have less waste and order smarter!

As I said, neither one of us eat seafood (*shudder* ... I can't stand it). Steve enjoys a good feed of fish-and-chips from time to time (in fact, that was what he had on his very first visit to Gumps) but today, he opted to try something different: cue the rack of ribs, french fries and coleslaw.

I probably should have put a fork on the plate so you have a better point of reference as to the portion size, but you'll have to go just on my description this time. These plates are HUGE, more like small oval platters. The rack of ribs was definitely enough to satisfy even an appetite as healthy as my big Steve's.

I ordered my "usual": Mama's Fried Chicken, which also happens to be a house specialty and one of their best-selling entrees.

Served with red skin garlic mashed potatoes and corn on the cob, this meal is way more than I could ever eat in one sitting (though Lord knows I gave it my best shot). The chicken is amazing, marinated and juicy on the inside with a nice, thick, crispy coating that is perfectly spiced. Even if I actually liked a lot of the other things on the menu, I think I'd probably order this every time just because its so good.

While the dessert menu offers some pretty awesome looking options, there's no way we had room for such indulgences after such massive amounts of food (plus Steve is a diabetic, and generally avoids those kinds of "cheats", especially on vacation, to keep himself feeling good). I'd love to give some a try someday, though. Perhaps I'll throw all caution to the wind, and on a future visit, let Steve eat his fill of meat while I skip the main course and have dessert for dinner. What happens in Orlando stays in Orlando, right? ;-)

A little budget tip for anyone who might consider going someday (and I would wholly encourage you to do so....it's well worth it!): Sam's Club offers discounted Landry's gift cards which net you a sweet discount at Bubba Gump's. For $75, you get three $25 gift cards plus a bonus $15 card. Combine that savings with our passmember discount (which was, 15%?, I think? Maybe 20%?) and its a VERY good value meal.

As we were heading out of the restaurant, I was more than a little thrilled to run into the Bubba Gump Shrimp!! <3 You know me, I have never met a character I didn't like. We stopped for a quick photo after picking up our glasses in the gift shop, and then headed back to the parking garage to collect the truck.

Back at the resort, with our bellies full, our early morning start started to rapidly catch up with us.

We donned our swimsuits, went out to the hot tubs to enjoy a 15 minute soak under the stars, but then headed back to the villa. It was a race to see who would fall asleep faster.....but neither of us stayed awake long enough to determine the winner. Sleep came VERY easy that night.

It was a simply splendid first day.

I always love seeing your rooms at SVR. Those third floor rooms are a hidden gem with the vaulted ceiling and sky light!

Those ceilings and skylights are the reward for all those stairs! So worth it!

And let's face it, with everything we end up eating while we're in town, those extra stairs are probably necessary LOL.

Steve and I have been doing A LOT of soul searching about our May trip over the course of this past weekend. We are still very much aware that whether or not the parks will even open by then is the question no one has an answer to right now (certainly Disney looks like a no, and generally SeaWorld and Universal follow similar paths). And even if SW & UO *do* open by Memorial Day weekend.....will they be under significant enough restrictions & continued social distancing measures that it wont feel "right"? Will we even WANT to go if a risk still remains (which I'm sure there will be still)?

It's such a hard decision, but we are seriously considering moving that May trip to early December. It would mean we have 2 trips quite close together (mid October and early December, so about 6 weeks apart) and a LONG time between visits (January already seems an eternity ago!). But maybe it's the safest decision, in more ways than one?

Ugh. So tough to know what to do.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter