• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Jambo house savannah ???

NC State Tigger

'cause we all love State and I luv Tigger
Does the Jambo House have more than one savannah? If so, what animals would you see from them? Trying to decide where to stay at AKV and what savannah to request. Thanks

The animals are not guaranteed every day but both times I've stayed there I've seen giraffee, zebra, giselle, birds, and something with long horns (blanking on the name but looks like a buffalo).

I can't help you with which Savannah. I know in July 2011 when I stayed there I just said Savannah view, I don't think I had a choice of 'which one'.

There are 3...... I think

I know the arusha savanna is the main one in the center
The second i think is called uzuma(sp)? Which is along the pool on the right side of the resort
The third is on the left and is shared with kidani village

Im sure someone can fact check me

Correct.
Arusha is the prototypical answer for many people's "best". In fact the cash side of AKL charges more for Arusha view. (DVC is the same points)

Sunset is now shared between Kidani and Jambo and is now the largest.

http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/resorts/aklodge/animals.htm

There are 3, 11 acre savannahs at AK Lodge. Sunset Savannah, Arusha Savannah and Uzima Savannah. Each savannah has it's own set of wildlife and hoofstock as follows:

Sunset Savannah: Male Giraffe, Bongo, Impala, Thompsons Gazelles, Ostrich, Ankole Cattle, Waterbuck, African crown cranes, stork and blue cranes.
Arusha Savannah: Pelicans, geese, giraffe, ankole cattle, zebra, Wildebeast, eland, gemsbok
Uzima Savannah: Giraffe, Impala, Kudu, Bongo, Blesbok, Thompsons Gazelles

I'm not sure how often that list changes, when I had a Standard view room with a partial Uzima view, I never saw giraffes.

I have stayed there on both Sunset and Arusha and really prefer Sunset. My favorite time of day is late afternoon, but if you are in the parks then you really miss the best time for animal viewing. We like to take a late afternoon break and hang out on our balcony and then go back to a park for dinner.

I love the arusha, but have seen lots of animals on the sunset too. I've never had an uzima savannah view.

That is a good point. Each savannah had different cleaning times (no animals) and different feeding times (best viewing times). Depending on your schedule, one savannah may work better than others.

And as mentioned, Sunset is best early evening.

Correct.
Arusha is the prototypical answer for many people's "best". In fact the cash side of AKL charges more for Arusha view. (DVC is the same points)

Sunset is now shared between Kidani and Jambo and is now the largest.

http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/resorts/aklodge/animals.htm

I'm not sure how often that list changes, when I had a Standard view room with a partial Uzima view, I never saw giraffes.
That information is out of date. Sunset used to have one male giraffe (not the same one every day but they could only let one out at a time). When they finished enlarging the Sunset Savanna for Kidani, they put a total of five giraffes on Sunset. There are also at least four zebras on Sunset.

Sunset used to be a lesser savanna until Kidani opened. It's completely changed now that it is larger and has more animals roaming around. Being larger also means the animals have more room to roam so whatever animals you are looking for may be elsewhere at the time you are out on your balcony.

According to one of the animal care staff, the animals have preferred areas of the savanna where they like to hang out during different times of the day. For example, on a recent stay at Kidani we rarely saw the Ankole cattle during the day but they always slept near our balcony at night.

That information is out of date. Sunset used to have one male giraffe (not the same one every day but they could only let one out at a time). When they finished enlarging the Sunset Savanna for Kidani, they put a total of five giraffes on Sunset. There are also at least four zebras on Sunset.

Sunset used to be a lesser savanna until Kidani opened. It's completely changed now that it is larger and has more animals roaming around. Being larger also means the animals have more room to roam so whatever animals you are looking for may be elsewhere at the time you are out on your balcony.

According to one of the animal care staff, the animals have preferred areas of the savanna where they like to hang out during different times of the day. For example, on a recent stay at Kidani we rarely saw the Ankole cattle during the day but they always slept near our balcony at night.

Thanks. I didn't pay enough attention to the number of giraffes. There's nothing more graceful than watching several giraffes roaming around (with their gait plus the swaying of their necks) like I occasionally saw during dinner time on the Sunset from Kidani :)

Thanks. I didn't pay enough attention to the number of giraffes. There's nothing more graceful than watching several giraffes roaming around (with their gait plus the swaying of their necks) like I occasionally saw during dinner time on the Sunset from Kidani :)
You are correct though that things change over time. Sometimes they have a problem with some animals not getting along with others and have to move them around to other savannas.

Several years ago they had hornbills on Sunset but they had a problem with them hopping into the back of the food truck, risking that they might hitch a ride right out of the savanna. Pembe Savanna is smaller so they use carts rather than trucks so that allowed them to put the hornbills back out on a savanna!

The animals are not guaranteed every day but both times I've stayed there I've seen giraffee, zebra, giselle, birds, and something with long horns (blanking on the name but looks like a buffalo).

I can't help you with which Savannah. I know in July 2011 when I stayed there I just said Savannah view, I don't think I had a choice of 'which one'.

The ones with the big horns are ankole cattle. I love them too, and I was sad to discover that they're not on the Sunset savannah (at least I've never seen them there).

The ones with the big horns are ankole cattle. I love them too, and I was sad to discover that they're not on the Sunset savannah (at least I've never seen them there).
There were Ankole cattle on Sunset on our last stay there in May 2012. They were passing by our balcony in the south wing when we first got to our room. They slept in that same area nearly every night we were there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter