Jambo! The newest AKL Information thread

Does anyone know if there are any construction areas or renovations planned at AKL in Nov/Dec this year?

Has anyone recently used Mears either way? Curious what stop/how many it ended being, posts on here on the same subject are older. I know it's dependent on other stops but just looking for an idea.

Has anyone recently used Mears either way? Curious what stop/how many it ended being, posts on here on the same subject are older. I know it's dependent on other stops but just looking for an idea.
Well, yes, both ways last month. Do you really want to know?

From MCO, AKL was the last of what I think was 5 resorts. As we were pulling into AOA, the bus died… yup, coasted to a dead stop. Driver got it to turn over and nudged to the loading area then it died again. Everyone off the bus along with luggage. Called for another one and waited for that to arrive. When it finally came, AKL was still the last stop. Can’t remember how long the trip was… I’ve blocked that memory but it was long…. and hot. Had to reschedule scooter drop off since I had no way of knowing when I’d get to the resort.

Mercifully, the trip back to MCO was uneventful… picked up on time and dropped off first at Terminal C.

I’ve taken Mears many times since the end of Tragical Express… this was a first… and hopefully a last! I’ll be there again in September and keeping my fingers crossed. As a solo it is definitely the most economical if not the most efficient transport alternative.

Because of location, I have always found AKL to be last for drop off.

From MCO, AKL was the last of what I think was 5 resorts. As we were pulling into AOA, the bus died… yup, coasted to a dead stop. Driver got it to turn over and nudged to the loading area then it died again. Everyone off the bus along with luggage. Called for another one and waited for that to arrive. When it finally came, AKL was still the last stop. Can’t remember how long the trip was… I’ve blocked that memory but it was long…. and hot. Had to reschedule scooter drop off since I had no way of knowing when I’d get to the resort.

Mercifully, the trip back to MCO was uneventful… picked up on time and dropped off first at Terminal C.

I’ve taken Mears many times since the end of Tragical Express… this was a first… and hopefully a last! I’ll be there again in September and keeping my fingers crossed. As a solo it is definitely the most economical if not the most efficient transport alternative.

Oh man. We haven't been since 2019 so didn't have to think about it then, now we've got a toddler so the busses are the most economical option. I was leaning towards trying Sunshine Flyer but they haven't even opened September for booking 😬 Thank you!

Oh man. We haven't been since 2019 so didn't have to think about it then, now we've got a toddler so the busses are the most economical option. I was leaning towards trying Sunshine Flyer but they haven't even opened September for booking 😬 Thank you!
I typically fly Jet Blue which is now located in MCO at the new Terminal C… unfortunately Sunshine Flyer leaves from Terminal A/B and doesn’t stop there or I’d definitely give them a try.

With your little one, you might want to price out an Uber… the difference in costs between the bus tickets and car service may not be that great and would for sure make a more pleasant trip!

Good luck!

I typically fly Jet Blue which is now located in MCO at the new Terminal C… unfortunately Sunshine Flyer leaves from Terminal A/B and doesn’t stop there or I’d definitely give them a try.

With your little one, you might want to price out an Uber… the difference in costs between the bus tickets and car service may not be that great and would for sure make a more pleasant trip!

Good luck!
Well, it appears that the two bus companies have merged which would explain why you couldn’t book Sunshine for September. Check out the DIS transportation board for details. We’ll see if that’s a good thing or not!

This helped me with my decision for September! I also was waiting for Sunshine Flyer to update their schedule…so between this and the merger news, I’m just gonna Uber/Lyft it round trip!

Well, it appears that the two bus companies have merged which would explain why you couldn’t book Sunshine for September. Check out the DIS transportation board for details. We’ll see if that’s a good thing or not!
I went ahead and booked Mears last night, so we'll see! Hoping for a non eventful ride and that my toddler will enjoy the novelty of a bus.

We are all so ready to be there, so what's a long bus ride after waiting since 2019 for Disney 😂

We are staying at Kidani in Sept for the first time. We stayed at Jambo house last year. Any suggestions of things to take advantage for my animal-obsessed daughter that might not be on the activities schedule? I noticed that the animal enrichment activity is not listed for June or July. :( Is it seasonal or gone? There was once a walking tour "backstage" to see the savannah with the Okapi (over by the pool). I don't think it was on the schedule last time either, but there was sign near the public viewing spot. Any particular feeding times? Thanks.

We are staying at Kidani in Sept for the first time. We stayed at Jambo house last year. Any suggestions of things to take advantage for my animal-obsessed daughter that might not be on the activities schedule? I noticed that the animal enrichment activity is not listed for June or July. :( Is it seasonal or gone? There was once a walking tour "backstage" to see the savannah with the Okapi (over by the pool). I don't think it was on the schedule last time either, but there was sign near the public viewing spot. Any particular feeding times? Thanks.
Animal Enrichment is still happening and is listed on the monthly activity calendar! It's part of the String of Memories activities now. They actually added more days for it since it became part of String of Memories, so there are even more chances to participate now.

The backstage tour hasn't happened for at least a year, but I've heard that if you ask CMs outside in that area, they still might be able to take you for a peek backstage if they have time. You should check out the Starlight Safari tour as well! It's fantastic for animal lovers and one of my favorite things at AKL. :)

For those asking about travel, did a split stay with the front end at Jambo House about a month ago. We took Uber from MCO. In fact, we took an UberXL because of luggage needs. It was $53 for the ride. It would be a smidge cheaper if we just took normal UberX. We landed around noon to give you an idea of the pricing for then. We took UberXL again on the way back though it was from Boardwalk the second time. Roughly the same price.

Not bad for three people and we hardly waited at all. Once luggage came down, I ordered the Uber and it was there within two minutes. The setup is pretty nice at MCO where Uber can pick up right outside of the baggage claim. (At least from the Southwest terminal)

Does AKL offer in room dining? Wondering if there is a way for us to place a breakfast order the night before and have it delivered to our room by x time or between x and x time?

The only resort that has room service available is the Grand Floridian.
Oh bummer - was this always the case? I could have sworn when we stayed here years ago we got room service and ate on the balcony but maybe I’m remembering it wrong.

My daughter and son-in-law have rented a DVC studio on points at Jambo House in September. How big is the refrigerator? Is it a "cube" or is it about 3' tall? I want to order a surprise cake for them (she turns 30th while there, they are also celebrating her graduation from grad school and their 2nd anniversary so I think cake is MANDATORY!!) but am worried that there won't be space to store the leftovers as it's a 6" cake but there are only 2 of them.

My daughter and son-in-law have rented a DVC studio on points at Jambo House in September. How big is the refrigerator? Is it a "cube" or is it about 3' tall? I want to order a surprise cake for them (she turns 30th while there, they are also celebrating her graduation from grad school and their 2nd anniversary so I think cake is MANDATORY!!) but am worried that there won't be space to store the leftovers as it's a 6" cake but there are only 2 of them.
It’s an under the counter frig and should fit the cake easily. I sometimes remove a shelf if needed to make more space.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter