Janice's Crew Celebrate at The World - Day 5

Janice

Super Shopper
What a Wonderful World!’

Me – (46) and planner of this holiday of a lifetime.
Chris – (45) my dear husband who puts up with me.
James – (22) our son who has never been to Florida.
Emma – (21) James' Girlfriend and known lovingly as Emmylou.
Katie – (19) our daughter, also lovingly known as Starlett.
Ian – (23) Katie’s Fiancé – been before when much younger.

Day 5 – MGM Studios (At last)

Today, at long last I get to Disneyworld. This is definitely my thing. Chris loves all the theming and the way that Disney does everything, but the fan of the mouse in our house – is me!

We are up by 7 and put the radio on – I don’t think I mentioned that our villa had a radio and intercom system on the wall in the kitchen, and when you turned the radio on – it came on in all the bedrooms. Great wake up system! Everyone was up and ready by about 8 am. We have a quick cup of tea and some toast and by 8-30 we are on our way. I am chumping at the bit because everyone seems to be going at a snails pace. I know they’re not but I have been here 4 days now and I think I have been very, very patient!

I don’t know whose face showed more amazement when we drove through the ‘Welcome to ……..’ sign that goes over the road. James, Emma or me. James first statement was – Wow, we are about a mile past the big Welcome sign and there is a road sign saying “Magic Kingdom – 5 miles” – how big is this place? Chris says, just wait and see!! We have a quiet chuckle because he still has no real idea. When he sees the entrance plaza, he then says, ‘I don’t believe it, this ticket booth area is almost as big as the toll booth area at Dartford Tunnel!’

I had made my mind up that Tower of Terror had to be first, followed by the new Rock’n’Roll Coaster. Tower of Terror has changed since we were last here and I think for the better! I counted about 5 drops and as this has always been a favourite of mine thought it was simply fantastic and with no wait in line. The rest of the crew agreed. Next, straight round the corner for R’n’R. Straight on – again, where are all the people? (Is that a line from a song?) Wow!!! This blew us all away, fantastic. The whole ride from the queuing area till you enter the shop at the end is brilliant. We decide to get a Fastpass for this and come back as soon as we can. We get a time slot about an hour and half away (although there was still no lines?) and decide to grab a coffee and muffin and then head for Startours. I got dragged by my first Pintrading Post! I had said that I wanted to check this out – but not partake, as I don’t collect Pins. A promise of returning later as we were going back that way satisfied me and coffee in hand we went off to Startours. I could not believe that again there was no queuing. James took enough video and pictures outside and during the line to make the next episode of Star Wars I’m sure and we probably would have got on the ride even quicker if he and Ian had not kept stopping to look at all the gadgets and happenings as we walked through. Chris did not ride this as he suffers with motion sickness and 1 or 2 coasters per day is really his limit but he has done it before so he knows the setup. I always enjoy this and felt that the ride was slightly different this time, although the cast member assured me it is the same as it has always been. The old grey matter again folks! Anyway, what can I say – James thought this was again, brilliant! Outside Chris was waiting to rush us into the next showing of Indiana Jones and the crew thought this was excellent. Do you get the picture that we are having a great day or what? We were all feeling peckish so thought about eating just as we were passing by 50’s Prime Time Café. Now, I had read about this café on these boards but did not let on to the others. I wanted to have my five minutes of fun. I checked out if we could make a reservation and we were given a 30 minute window to return – in about half an hour, so off to R’n’R to do our Fastpass. I cannot believe that we are getting all this done with no queuing, I had been expecting horrendous lines due to the Christmas Season but – hey, who am I to complain? We all dashed back and let Chris stroll and take pictures and arranged to meet him back at the café.

Mission accomplished fine and we get seated in the back section of the café and our waitress (Laurie?) was excellent at her job. She had us in fits and Daddy (Chris) kept getting told off for elbows on the tables. Ian got the job of telling our cousins? (on the next table) the drinks list and Katie was told as the youngest, she just had to sit and behave like all good little girls. We had so much fun. They were even matchmaking with a small girl and boy at the booths next door which kept James amused during the whole of our meal – which was really nice, if just a bit expensive. It cost about $110 for the 6 of us, with a cocktail for me –come to think of it, I asked to try a Margarita, but was advised to have a MaiTai? – and a beer for the lads and Emma. Daddy, had chocolate milk and Katie had Fruit Punch. But we all considered it worth while, it was great fun and would recommend this to anyone.

We emerged refreshed and raring to go – well, waddle as we were quite full. I forgot to mention that somewhere during the morning we fitted in a show of Beauty and the Beast which me and the girls thought was lovely – I think the boys had a bit of a doze!!

Right – we now went to do the Studio Backlot Tour, which we all enjoyed and Catastrophe Canyon went down a treat. We then took in The Great Movie Ride, which I always enjoy and following a tip I picked up on these boards got to see the Gangster Shoot Out instead of the Cowboy Hold Up which I had always seen in the past. We all liked this – the lads especially like the Alien thing – THAT I could do without – but this gives you a good 20 minutes rest. We now head for Muppetvision which is the absolute funniest and amusing show you will ever see! I just love this so much as did everyone. We now now go for a walk through the Osborne Lights and the ‘snow’ was falling, it was just dark, and had got quite chilly. We all got our 3D glasses that changed every single light into a snowflake and it was amazing. I did not realise we were all such softies – the sight of so many lights leaves you speechless! We slowly made our way through and who do we see but Minnie and Mickey! Oh my – Chris surprised me by giving me an autograph book, that he had purchased earlier for Amy (our 7 year old niece) and with pen in hand I queue for the first of the many that we got.

We fit in Sounds Dangerous which was scarey in a very funny way, but some smaller children were crying in the darkness. We all thought it was a clever experience! Now we head of for FANTASMIC! What can I say. This was absolutely incredible. No queue – straight in and sat in the 4th section from the right, about 2/3rds way down. Excellent views and just a very slight spray due to the winds – buy hey, no one can help that. This is just a fabulous show and was one of the highlights of the whole holiday for all of us – James and Ian especially! Must just mention that the audience had a great time doing the Mexican Wave prior to the show starting. This went on for a good 15 minutes or so and was great fun.

One last trip on R’n’R to round off what has been a Fantasmic day for us all. You may wonder how we managed to fit so much in, but there were no queues for anything at all. The only wait we had was for our table for lunch! We head home – in a daze – and, yes, yet again, a cup of tea before bed. A resounding 95 out of 100 from The Crew for the day at MGM.

Wonderful :).
I was getting all nostalgic for WDW reading all your superb descriptions.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter