January 2015 Car Rental Code Watch

Wow! January rates went up!!! Glad I reserved mine when I did.
Up even more today.
Almost $300 now for what I was able to book 3 weeks ago @$155.
Definitely going the wrong way... was hoping to get closer to the $100 mark.
Still time I guess, 3.5 weeks before we leave.

I noticed higher rates today when I re-ran a search on Costco Travel. Still hoping to see a better deal in time to rebook, but it's been about six years since I rented at MCO so not sure what my odds are.

As an aside, can someone clarify whether it's necessary to cancel a 'back-up reservation' before the pickup time? I have bookings on both Budget and Alamo for January. Budget is slightly cheaper, but I've seen some posts here about first-time Fastbreak users being directed to the regular line and losing the benefit of quick pickup. If there is even a small chance of this happening, I'd probably go with Alamo since their pickup system looks more efficient. Will Budget try to charge me some kind of fee for not canceling? I'd prefer to hang onto both bookings in case something nutty is going on with one of them and then I'd just take the other.

I noticed higher rates today when I re-ran a search on Costco Travel. Still hoping to see a better deal in time to rebook, but it's been about six years since I rented at MCO so not sure what my odds are.

As an aside, can someone clarify whether it's necessary to cancel a 'back-up reservation' before the pickup time? I have bookings on both Budget and Alamo for January. Budget is slightly cheaper, but I've seen some posts here about first-time Fastbreak users being directed to the regular line and losing the benefit of quick pickup. If there is even a small chance of this happening, I'd probably go with Alamo since their pickup system looks more efficient. Will Budget try to charge me some kind of fee for not canceling? I'd prefer to hang onto both bookings in case something nutty is going on with one of them and then I'd just take the other.

First time use of Budget Fastbreak will require you to go to the counter to have all your info verified (CC, DL etc). I'd just cancel the Budget rezzie and go with Alamo. Use the online check-in (or check-in at the kiosk) to avoid the counter, walk out to the garage and pick a vehicle from the aisle that you rented and drive to the exit gate with your CC and DL.
As a courtesy to fellow travelers, I always cancel any unused or rebooked rezzies. I always figure that if there are lots of people making reservations but not cancelling the ones they don't need they are contributing to increased rates since the rental companies are seeing large numbers of cars rented and therefore they don't need to decrease there rates in order to have good sell-through. It's like any company, if the trends show that sales are below expectations, then a price reduction is needed to stimulate sales and get the product back on track for optimal sell through (or in this case, as close to 100% rented out as possible), if your product is selling well and trending to sell out then there is no need to lower prices. This also works the other way, for example when a special event or holiday increases the demand for the product then the prices tend to rise.

And on the other topic: OMG the rates for our rezzie Jan 13-23 have jumped even higher, now $450 for FS, booked a few weeks back for $155. Glad we got a decent rate but was hoping for another drop before we leave. Not looking good for that at the moment

Yes, I believe I will get rid of Budget at some point, especially as they don't make clear that Fastbreak does not help you the first time it's used. The last time I rented at MCO, I had an excellent deal at Thrifty but had to wait behind MANY people at their offsite location. (They have since moved onsite.) I'd be surprised if Budget's rate improved enough vis-à-vis Alamo's in the next month to make such a wait worthwhile.

Man my ressie for Jan 15-20 is now up to $279.00. I booked with the Costco code a month ago for $117.00!!

Not sure I'll do any better than $117.00 over a holiday weekend.

I'm pretty much in the same boat. January 17-24 for about $155 all-in, and recent checking shows rates are WAY higher now. I will give the last-minute coupon codes a try next month, but it looks like rates are headed the wrong way and not coming back.

Rates for the beginning of January continue to fall. My ressie from Jan 1-9 is down to $ 138 with Alamo (for standard/full). It has been falling about $8 to $ 10 every day for the past week so I have been cancelling and rebooking every day. The original problem jacking up rates was the holiday weekend but that seems over. The rates just 2 weeks ago were sky high. So if you have a early Jan ressie, you may want to check, and there is hope for those of you who are later in January!

Rates for the beginning of January continue to fall. My ressie from Jan 1-9 is down to $ 138 with Alamo (for standard/full). It has been falling about $8 to $ 10 every day for the past week so I have been cancelling and rebooking every day. The original problem jacking up rates was the holiday weekend but that seems over. The rates just 2 weeks ago were sky high. So if you have a early Jan ressie, you may want to check, and there is hope for those of you who are later in January!

What codes are you using?

What codes are you using?

Costco Code 7014627 and coupon code AD2338FDF. I did notice that Alamo's rates went up today (about $ 20) - still not bad compared to where they were. My guess is that is the weekend effect. I will keep checking next week.

My rates dipped a little bit for January 2-6th for a couple of days for a 1 way MCO to Universal area but have jumped right back up again. It never did get as low as I already have. Several of the companies like national just don't want to do a 1 way rental. They want $800 for a compact car.

Wow, totally forgot about a rental for Marathon weekend until right before Christmas. Have Dollar for $182.48 for "lock low and go" for 1/7 - 1/11. Priced it today and it was $244.50 with AAA added. Crazy.

We are reserved with Alamo for a full size car 1/9-1/18 at $140, including the fees. The prices are currently about $100 more.

I have not done a lot of car rental rate shopping until this year, it's been surprising how the rates jump up and down over time.

I'm pretty much in the same boat. January 17-24 for about $155 all-in, and recent checking shows rates are WAY higher now. I will give the last-minute coupon codes a try next month, but it looks like rates are headed the wrong way and not coming back.

These are my dates too :) Yup checked again and they have only gone up. Looks like they hit their low back in late November. I'll keep checking up until the day before we leave though!

These are my dates too :) Yup checked again and they have only gone up. Looks like they hit their low back in late November. I'll keep checking up until the day before we leave though!

I gave in last night. Changed my plans after checking rates (800+ for midsize -same week plus one day @ National) and receiving the warning on Expedia and Hotwire about the shortage of cars in January at MCO.

I am now riding DME and then renting in the morning at the Car Care Center. 274 @Alamo total - I don't like it but for 5.00 it can be changed if something better comes along.

We are reserved with Alamo for a full size car 1/9-1/18 at $140, including the fees. The prices are currently about $100 more.

I have not done a lot of car rental rate shopping until this year, it's been surprising how the rates jump up and down over time.

I have the same deal for that same week and have been comparing over the last couple months but haven't found anything cheaper. This is probably as good as we will get!

We booked through Alamo in early November at Tampa Airport for 1/23-1/31 a full size pickup with quad cab for $160. I keep checking rates to rebook if they drop, but the rates are downright scary right now! Who would have thought the best rates would be that far in advance? We rent cars pretty regularly when we travel and have always had the rates start dropping about 2 weeks prior to our trip, but I don't know if we will see that this time. I will keep watching, but I am happy with my reserved rate and honestly don't know if I will catch a better deal.

Wow, totally forgot about a rental for Marathon weekend until right before Christmas. Have Dollar for $182.48 for "lock low and go" for 1/7 - 1/11. Priced it today and it was $244.50 with AAA added. Crazy.

Was able to get intermediate SUV from Budget using carrentalsavers.com yesterday for $163.75

For 13-20Jan I reserved a minivan from Budget with the Costco code for $184. Less than my original reservation with National for a Full Size.

Just checked my Dollar reservation from last week. Was able to rebook for $120 cheaper for Jan 20-27. It sure pays to keep checking!

I'm just starting to look at car rental reservations for our trip: Jan. 17-27.
I don't need the car for the entire time (really just need it for 1/19, but would be nice to have it for a few extra days), so have been playing around with various dates.
Staying on property at CBR, so thought Alamo at the Car Care Center would be easiest.. but the best I've found was Jan. 19-26, $211 for a mid-size, and that's using the AP discount and Visa coupon.
Kicking myself for not booking sooner.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter