• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

*** January 2019 Thread ***

I know I'm insane, but I just don't care! I just booked All Star Sports for 1/1-1/5 - SOLO trip. :)

Awesome, @absolutmey!!! I've added you the roll call! I'm intrigued by a solo trip... and I may have an opportunity to tack a few solo days onto a work trip to Orlando this fall... I'm hoping I can make it work! Happy planning!

My buddy and I are trying to plan a trip for the last week of January. I'm so nervous trying to get the planning right, because I've done Disney a couple times and the last time was AMAZING--I went with a group of friends, but he was in grad school and had to miss. So now I'm trying to make a trip as good as ours was. But also that we can afford. (I'm convinced my friend who planned the last one did some kind of witchcraft, because the five of us stayed in the Beach Club with the Dining Plan and Park Hoppers for five days for about $1000 each.)

Beach Club is off the table, sadly. We're going All-Star, but I think that'll be fine. I'm just stressing out over whether to book our tickets with our hotel through the travel agent, or get them from a verified seller (about $50 cheaper) just so we can maybe qualify for the dining plan if that package comes up.

But what even is the usual winter package? And since it goes by nightly stay, that means that if we hit the park the day before we take a late flight home, we wouldn't have a dining plan for that day? And I was hoping to do Dinner With An Imagineer, which isn't covered by the plan.

I dunno, everyone keeps telling me the dining plan is worth it, but it doesn't really seem to gel with what we'd be getting, unless it was straight-up free (or just $100, since we'd want to, y'know, upgrade).

I'm seriously starting to have stress dreams about Choice A or Choice B, and I'm sure our travel agent is tired of me hemming and hawing...

My buddy and I are trying to plan a trip for the last week of January. I'm so nervous trying to get the planning right, because I've done Disney a couple times and the last time was AMAZING--I went with a group of friends, but he was in grad school and had to miss. So now I'm trying to make a trip as good as ours was. But also that we can afford. (I'm convinced my friend who planned the last one did some kind of witchcraft, because the five of us stayed in the Beach Club with the Dining Plan and Park Hoppers for five days for about $1000 each.)

Beach Club is off the table, sadly. We're going All-Star, but I think that'll be fine. I'm just stressing out over whether to book our tickets with our hotel through the travel agent, or get them from a verified seller (about $50 cheaper) just so we can maybe qualify for the dining plan if that package comes up.

But what even is the usual winter package? And since it goes by nightly stay, that means that if we hit the park the day before we take a late flight home, we wouldn't have a dining plan for that day? And I was hoping to do Dinner With An Imagineer, which isn't covered by the plan.

I dunno, everyone keeps telling me the dining plan is worth it, but it doesn't really seem to gel with what we'd be getting, unless it was straight-up free (or just $100, since we'd want to, y'know, upgrade).

I'm seriously starting to have stress dreams about Choice A or Choice B, and I'm sure our travel agent is tired of me hemming and hawing...

It is unlikely you’ll get any type of dining “bonus” usually the winter discount is stay play and dine. You’ll have to look it up as I’m not familiar with it.

The dining plan is worth it to people who eat a lot or want to eat the most expensive thing on the menu/see a lot of characters.

It’s never made any sense for my family to get it as we don’t eat that much food. We usually do one table service and then do a qs and share

I agree with the previous post. If you are big eaters the dining plan may be a good thing for you, but if you are willing to share some meals and limit your table service, you can save a ton of money by going without it. Lots of the quick service meals are huge and you can easily split them between two people. The last time I went with three other girls we ordered a few things from the Garden Grocer for our room, split a bunch of meals, and only did two table service meals (in six days) and we had a fantastic time. That was during the food and wine festival so we ate from the kiosks in Epcot quite a bit. Depending when you travel in January, the international arts festival maybe going and will have similar kiosks. Regarding your question on if you'll have food the last day, the dining plan is the number of nights of your stay and you can use your credits on your last day of travel even after you check out.

shoot, this is starting to feel more like "if this trip ever gets off the ground." I know I've asked my travel agent for a lot of dates, but when I've gone to book my reservation the first time, it was short a day, even though I really clearly stated what days I wanted. When he "fixed" it, it was over by a day, even though, again, I really clearly stated what days I wanted, and they were the main days we'd been focusing on during our previous back-and-forths. When I emailed him to ask about it, his reply made it sound like it's my fault that we've "never been on the same page with arrival and departure dates."

I don't know. I feel bad that I asked for so many dates, and that we had to change out our hotel when we lost some of our party, but surely that's the sort of thing that happens a lot of with travel agents? Don't most people try and figure out what the most cost effective time for them to travel is, and if they can afford to add an extra night's stay? (Heck, the first quote we ever got was for two weeks longer than the

I wonder if there's a way to politely request another agent when/if this gets booked, because I don't really want an agent who's frustrated with me already :/

Maybe I should've just booked it myself and kept an eye out for discounts later.

Shoot...should I just book this on my own and forgo having a travel agent?

Shoot...should I just book this on my own and forgo having a travel agent?

I like booking myself, but many people like working through an agent to save time. If you aren’t on the same page, express your concerns about your communications and point out specifics where he did not follow your directions (assuming you have those directions in writing and they weren’t verbal so you have some hard evidence to point back to). I would think any agent that is experienced is used to making many adjustments in plans...

I'm honestly near tears now. The new price he quoted is over a hundred dollars more, and that really is enough to put a kink in our plans (I can't make a call like that without asking the other person coming with me), and considering that he hasn't responded to either of my emails clarifying or asking for more information and it's been almost two hours now (he's usually very prompt) and his last email felt so hostile, I think what he meant by "Bottom line" (which is how his last email started) was "I'm done talking about this. Make the reservation or don't."

I was really looking forward to using this travel agency. I'd heard good things and I loved the idea of having someone in my corner to help out since I've never planned a Disney trip before. But now I'm just angry and frustrated and ready to forget the whole thing.

Maybe I'll just start saving for the 2021 trip instead. :(

I'm honestly near tears now. The new price he quoted is over a hundred dollars more, and that really is enough to put a kink in our plans (I can't make a call like that without asking the other person coming with me), and considering that he hasn't responded to either of my emails clarifying or asking for more information and it's been almost two hours now (he's usually very prompt) and his last email felt so hostile, I think what he meant by "Bottom line" (which is how his last email started) was "I'm done talking about this. Make the reservation or don't."

I was really looking forward to using this travel agency. I'd heard good things and I loved the idea of having someone in my corner to help out since I've never planned a Disney trip before. But now I'm just angry and frustrated and ready to forget the whole thing.

A travel agent should definitely not being make this a more stressful process for you. I don't know what agency you're using but I've heard good things about MEI Mousefan travel as well as Ears of Experience.

Personally, I tried using an agency and I could not relinquish control. I didn't like that I had to wait on a response or have full control over every aspect of my trip. I'm planning for a group of 10 this time (6 adults, 3 children (ages 2-5) and an infant) and with that comes added stress.

I've planned the past three WDW trips - one with my immediate family, one solo and one with my sister's family. They all went swimmingly.

If you want some pointers or need someone to bounce ideas off, feel free to ask me. I don't think you can send me a PM since you don't have a lot of posts but I'm here.

A travel agent should definitely not being make this a more stressful process for you. I don't know what agency you're using but I've heard good things about MEI Mousefan travel as well as Ears of Experience.

Personally, I tried using an agency and I could not relinquish control. I didn't like that I had to wait on a response or have full control over every aspect of my trip. I'm planning for a group of 10 this time (6 adults, 3 children (ages 2-5) and an infant) and with that comes added stress.

I've planned the past three WDW trips - one with my immediate family, one solo and one with my sister's family. They all went swimmingly.

If you want some pointers or need someone to bounce ideas off, feel free to ask me. I don't think you can send me a PM since you don't have a lot of posts but I'm here.

Me too! Planning it yourself is not hard and if it alleviates a level of stress, then tell him no thanks and we will give you advice on what you need to do! You could even try to book it yourself online first before giving him the heave-ho.

We rented points and will be at the Poly from 1/11-1/13 - just for the weekend following a cruise. No parks for us this trip so I’m hoping the weather is warm enough to swim (it wasn’t during our last trip this January) and I’m also looking for some fun stuff to do, like maybe Disney Springs or the Boardwalk (we’ve never been to either place).

Thanks, y'all. I can't believe I'm panicking already. (I told me roommate, the second for this trip, and he said "I thought the rides weren't supposed to start until we were in the park.)

I think what I'm worried about is trying to get dining reservations. We have a couple in mind that are very difficult, and I worry that I'd be fumbling through my first time booking them. (Also, I figure with a travel agent, there's always a chance we can move from ASMusic to ASMovies later, and they'd be more likely for a spot to open up.)

He did say something that implied checking in on a weekend night was more expensive than a non-weekend night. I know weekend nights are more expensive to stay (which is why we're only having one), but does anyone know if the day you check-in actually affects the price?

Or am I over-thinking things? I do that sometimes ^_^;

Thanks, y'all. I can't believe I'm panicking already. (I told me roommate, the second for this trip, and he said "I thought the rides weren't supposed to start until we were in the park.)

I think what I'm worried about is trying to get dining reservations. We have a couple in mind that are very difficult, and I worry that I'd be fumbling through my first time booking them. (Also, I figure with a travel agent, there's always a chance we can move from ASMusic to ASMovies later, and they'd be more likely for a spot to open up.)

He did say something that implied checking in on a weekend night was more expensive than a non-weekend night. I know weekend nights are more expensive to stay (which is why we're only having one), but does anyone know if the day you check-in actually affects the price?

Or am I over-thinking things? I do that sometimes ^_^;

Well checking-in means you are staying that night. So if you're checking in on Saturday, you will pay more because your first evening in the room is a weekend date.

That's what I figured, but we'd be staying for six nights, so there's a weekend any way we slice it. Maybe he just forgot that we wanted to stay six nights. Again.

We rented points and will be at the Poly from 1/11-1/13 - just for the weekend following a cruise. No parks for us this trip so I’m hoping the weather is warm enough to swim (it wasn’t during our last trip this January) and I’m also looking for some fun stuff to do, like maybe Disney Springs or the Boardwalk (we’ve never been to either place).

Welcome, @StaciaRae! I've added you to the roll call. I love wandering around Disney Springs! There are tons of great food kiosks and restaurants, shops, and live bands! The Boardwalk is fun at night, too... but I'm partial to Disney Springs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter