Joined today after two weeks of calculations...

iteachlit

DIS Veteran
Well, my wife and I decided to join DVC today after a couple of weeks of thought and calculation. We did the tour at SSR July 28, the last day of our anniversary trip. While we really liked the AKV models, we didn't think that we would want to stay there quite as often as some other options. We both agreed that the models seemed dark and perhaps just a little too over the top for our tastes.

On the other hand, SSR isn't quite as themed as AKV, but we like the closeness to DTD, especially as the kids get a little older. I'm a golfer, so I like the fact that there is a course right there. Plus, we can walk to DTD and transfer to any resort bus for dining excursions.

As far as the finances go, we were able to get a really low rate from our Chase Visa card, so we are consolidating some credit card debt at the low rate. We will also use the low rate to pay our membership. We'll save quite a bit over our old interest rate, enough to cover a bit of the membership fee. Long story short: we'll be able to make our budget work and payoff the membership in just under five years.

So... we went with 160 points at SSR. We'll get our March 2007 UY points now, which I'll bank before the end of the month. That will give us 320 points for our 2008 vacation, which is pretty exciting. We took the $10 off per point, BTW, not the developer points.

Our guide told me that AKV MFs will always be more than SSR, so that factored into my decision as well. He believes that SSR is the better financial deal, but he did warn me that it will be very difficult to get into AKV at the seven month window for a few years. However, he also expects it to become easier to get into the other DVC locations as AKV opens because there will be more villas available and there is a high level of excitement.

We should get our welcome package via FeEx by the end of the week, so it will all feel official then. Well, then and when we start to make the payments!

Congratulations and WELCOME HOME!

Have fun planning that first trip as DVC members! :cheer2:

Congrats! We're new, too. We joined at AKV, though. Sight unseen, I must admit, but dh loves animals (but is not too into Disney). And despite his medical degree, he doesn't golf.

Congratulations & welcome home!! I debated the same 2 resorts in May. In my case, AKV won out but it was a close decision!

Great choice! We LOVE SSR. This past trip we got to actually use the walkway to DDT and it was just perfect even though it was the middle of July!! Although I am sure that AKV is nice, SSR is a wonderful home to choose.

Welcome home neighbor!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter