Joshua Tree or Anza-Burrago: which destert to visit

AussieCaribou

Mouseketeer
Hi everyone,

My DD14 and I are visiting San Diego and Disneyland from 27 Sept through 13 Oct. we have visited both before but I would like to do something different this trip.

While in SD, we will be visiting the tide pools, maritime museum, and -hopefully - hopefully we will get out on the bay. We will be heading into the foothills to visit Julian and then we thought that we might head to the dessert before our DL stay. My question is, which desert? We want to hike around and see something that she hasn't (our outback is red, not white).

Thanks for any advice!

~AussieCaribou

Julian to Palm Springs is a nice drive on rural highways, no interstates. It will take about 2 hours. It's a very curvy ride in some parts, but beautiful scenery. There are a ton of places to hike out there, but my favorite is to take the Aerial Tramway to the top of Mount San Jacinto. Beautiful! Indian Canyons is also a really nice place to hike.

Joshua Tree is a nice place also, but much less amenities and a longer drive. Are you staying in either place or is it strictly a day trip for Julian and the dessert? If you are just day tripping, you might want to just head east from Julian to Anza-Borrego. It's only about an hour and there is a cool visitor center with trails that go out from there.

I agree. If you are going to Julian, then going to Anza Borrego would be a better choice than Joshua. There is a trail to an oasis there, but from what I understand, the stream is a bit shallower these days than in the past. It is a nice hike, though, with signs for various things, like the rocks that Native Americans used to grind acorns, etc. You can continue to Salton Sea, if you wish, and on to Palm Springs for that aerial tram ride, or you can head back. West of Julian is a nature area with lots of trails. I visited that area earlier this year when I was doing "research" for the podcast segment on Julian and Anza Borrego.

http://www.disunplugged.com/2013/04/18/dis-unplugged-podcast-041813-disneyland-show/

Wow! Thanks guys!

We are staying in SD (National City) for about a little over a week (visiting my Grandpa in his retirement home) and we are looking for a few days out. Most are in the local area (the bay, maritime museum, Cabrillo, Old Town) because Grandpa is 94(!!!) and doing great but tires easily and DD is active and will need other things to occupy her. So we thought that most days we would visit morning and early evening while spending the other daylight hours out. But given that DD wants to see the hills and desert, that day we won't visit Grandpa. So, that was a long story to say that it's just a day trip. ;0)

I never even thought to go to the podcast (doh!). I just listened with DD to the Old Town one and she was sssooooo excited by it. ;0)

Actually, if you guys have any other day activity suggestions, we would be all ears! We have done the Zoo, Safari Park (WAP), Balboa Park, Nature Interp Center, Legoland, Scripts Aquarium, and shopping before. DD loved them all but wants to tick off new stuff this time (we only get to visit every 3-4 years). Did I say that we will be traveling end of Sept to early Oct (Aussie School Holidays)? So, I'm hoping that the haunted houses will be running...<insert evil laugh>

~ AussieCaribou

By nature interpretive center do you mean the Chula Vista Nature center?

We've been to the CV Nature center a few times. Highly recommend it for a couple of hours. It's a pretty nice place and you can walk the trails out to the bay. It's only minutes from National City, E Street exit from the #5.

For some real excitement she could try K-1 Speed, go cart racing. My ds16 loves it. There's locations in Carlsbad, Irvine and Anaheim. Sign up on line and they often send coupons.
If you can get an Entertainment Book there's some good coupons for most attractions in the area.
Another thing my ds loves is Dave and Buster's. Sign up on line and the also send coupons.
When you're in Anaheim you might be able to catch a hockey game. Pre season should be just about on then.
Or baseball season or football. As you can tell I have a sports freak of a kid.
We leave for SD in two days and these are the things my ds is looking forward to, along with shopping and golf.
Have a great trip

Make sure you stop and get some apple pie in Julian.

FWIW I agree with the others. Anza Borrego from Julian would be the best way to go. Joshua Tree is nice; but it is further out and less amenities. At least there are some shops to look at in Borrego Springs if the desert walks don't work out for you and your family when you get there.
Besides - I like the Disney association that Anza Borrego has with Soarin'.

Have you been to Old Town San Diego? There's also La Jolla and Oceanside, if you want to head a bit further north than SD.

I recommend Anza Borrego first because it is ibeautiful on its own, but I think Joshua Tree is much more impressive so it's better to do it afterwards. So on your next trip don't miss Joshua tree - it's quite amazing.

Hi all,

We ended up going to AB and had a wonderful day. The area was rich in plant life and animal life and we hiked a bit, took in the visitor's centre, and looked at the art work around Borrago Springs.

Joshua Tree ended up being a no go anyway as the government was shut down during our visit. ;0)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter