JP3 Opening Day

MikeS

Earning My Ears
Figures just in for Wednesday have Jurassic Park 3 biting 19.1 million out of the Box Office. If that keeps up it could pull 75M plus. Since Fri and Saturday are the heavy movie nights there should be heavy traffic on those nights.
Although panned by critics and not up to the first film, JP3 is a vast improvment over the Lost World and bad or good word of mouth won't really matter. People will see it at least once anyway.SWith that factor it could be a record breaking weekend.

While JP3 is an interesting subject, I think it would be better suited in the Universal Studios Board rather than the Disney Rumors and News Board. I've redirected it there for anyone who may be ineterested.

Plop, plop, fiss, fiss, oh what a relief it is. I refuse to see most big summer movies or holiday movies. You wanna hint why because a majority of them suckkkk... These big companies including disney think we are all drones and you know what thats because we are and they know it. Because crappy movies like tomb raider, pearl harbor, jp 2 and 3, scary movie 2, nutty professor, or dr dolittle and on and on and on sell 200 million each. While as of late really good movies are flopping on their face because they didn't spend a gaziilion dollars on effects or because they weren't hyped to be the next big thing, because they weren't cheap thrills, or because our attention spans need instant gratification. I call it the oooh and ahh effect somewhat similiar to what a toddler does when he sees fireworks for the first time. I can't believe how simple we have become. Not that A.I is a good example, because it did cost a gazillion dollars to make and it wasn't was the best movie but I'll tell you what there was, some serious provocative statements from start to finish and probably has more substance than any movie released this summer , and a story that took longer to put together than the super special CGI effects( How's that for a thought) and it is flopping why, because it's being called boring, and it's too long. I'll be honest with you I really didn't even like the movie but i can't stop thinking about it. By the way can anyone even tell me what star wars 1 was about besides some pointless pod racer crap.

I don't know if anyone has noticed but why are the same concepts and movies being rehashed over, and over, and over again. Because really I'm excited about seeing spider man, or (batman 5,6,7,8,9), planet of the apes, or what ever movie need not be rehashed. Let me give you a summary of all these movies even though I havn't seen them yet. Ready!!! Great effects but the story was put together by tarts.

On the other post there was this tool who said I don't go to see movies about a dinosaur for a story. That's because your a tool and a sell out, not to mention a simpleton. Let me guess what happens during this film they get chased alot by really big dinosaurs. Oh,oh they even have a teradactile. how cool. Open up wide because crap is being shoveled in. Thanks to people like you I can can't even see a decent story anymore.

(tangent # 2)Another example of rehashed material I'm sitting home watching TV and a show called spy tv comes on well just in case you havn't noticed "candid camera 2001" perhaps. Pleaseeee networks give me more reality TV because I'm looking forward to more crap on my tv but america will eat it up.

Sorry if I was too harsh. please someone write back even if I was too harsh. I just wanna know that I'm not completely crazy. Maybe a little harsh perhaps, but I feel better now. thx darla

:smooth:

Yep, I think you are harsh. But only because you spent considerable time poking critisism at people who seek entertainment where they find it, and blast condescension at those who find it at the movies, yet you obviously spend considerable amounts of time on the internet which has led you here enough times to become a DIS Veteran and accounts for your long post (the internet being the life source of intillectual stimulation). Sounds like you went to see JP3 like the rest of us, too. Don't forget that our kids are crazy about dino's. Hopefully some others will recognize your veiled insults to their intelligence, but be assured that I did.

Hmmm...someone did not get the memo. It's summer time and that is the big popcorn movie rush. Why does a movie have to be though provoking to be good? As long as I enjoy myself I consider the $7.00 well spent.

I apologize for being harsh but I must say you missed the point. Thx. you for being another example why they make crap movies now with no plots. All I will say is remember past summer block busters. For the rest I will save my breath. Point lost on you. I try to make a point and you bring up me being a disney vet. What does that mean. i think disney is one of the biggest offenders when it comes to this as of recent. But now you feel witty, and smart because you had a very unintelligible response that didn't address one word I said in my past post. I didn't rank on JP 3 because it's a universal picture. I just used it as another example of the oversaturation of unoriginality that has been fed to us as of late. thx. you darla

P.S Didn't see JP 3 nor do I plan to.
PLOT= run from dinosaurs( extent of plot) no thank you.

darla,
I would find it interesting to see what movies you actually like. You mentioned some of my favorites on your list so I think it would be interesting to see what you like. And if you say "O Brother Where Art Thou?" I think I might jump off a cliff ;-) THAT is the worst movie ever made and it makes Scary Movie 2 look like it deserves "The Best Plot Of The Year Award" :-)

darla, why don't you just come right out and say you are better than us? Why use so many words to get to such a concise point?

I agree with the post that not all movies have to be deep and thought provoking to be worth my money. And it is my money so if I choose to spend it on what someone see as mindless drivel so be it. I enjoyed JP3 far more than some "serious" movies I've seen lately because I expected a certain something from JP3 and I feel like it delivered. The plot did involve running from dinosaurs but also a missing boy and a divorced couple becoming close again. These items were weak but they were there.

But never mind all of this. I question the need to name call to make one's point. No one is right or wrong here, it's just a matter of individual taste.

OH MY GOD did you actually mean to say this: O Brother Where Art Thou is the worst movie ever made.
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
I would like to hear your reasoning on that. You are definitly the first person I've seen who didn't at least give the Coen brothers credit for making a movie that is not only stunning to watch, but has a well-writtenng plot with interesting characters, whether they liked the movie or not. And While Darla may have been a little harsh it is nothing to become offended over. I did not dislike JP3 but it could have been alot better. It gave me what I was looking for, cool dinosaur action. Sure the plot was bad, the character development was non-existant, but who cares. I do believe thouh that this has been one AWFUL summer when it comes to movies. I mean some real bad movies like I have never seen before. How did they even have the nerve to release a film like TOMB RAIDER. Oh my god I almost fell asleep during that one. I'm not saying I exclusivly enjoy arthouse flicks, I saw "The Princess and the Warrior" the other day and it was pretty bad. Shrek, the Score, MADE, possibly some parts of AI, these are all good movies this summer. So far the best of the summer is yet to come. I'm looking forward to Planet of the Apes, Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back, rerelease of Apocolypse Now, American Pie 2, Ghost World, and others. But I can't get over the atrocities that were Tomb Raider, Crazy/Beutiful, Final Fantasy, Scary Movie 2, The Animal, Mummy Returns, The Fast and the Furious, too many to name. Some had redeeming qualities but they were mundane, trite, sure they weren't thought-provoking peices of art, but they wern't entertaining and fun to watch either. And if you enjoyed any of them then I envy you, because my expectations are probably too high. I guess that's the price you pay being a movie buff.

Darla: I enjoyed JP#..it wasn't as good as #1 but it was heckuva lot better than #2.

I'm a film major, and I watched the artsy films, and I love and appreciate them, but frankly give me a big budgeted film with lots of special effects and my jumbo sized popcorn and I'm a happy camper. I don't spend $8.50 on a movie so some director can cram his preachy vision down my throat and make me leave the theatre shaking my head in disbelief at society, or to spend those two hours feeling like I'm being lectured to.

I go to movies to escape reality for a few fleeting moments. I know the movies are fluff but that's part of the fun. Obviously nobody ever taught you how to just have fun...how sad...

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the intellectual films..I loved "Life is Beautiful" (in Italian, no subtitles), "Oh Brother Whereart Thou" (for it's whitty comparison to the Odyssey), and I spend most evening curled up infront of the Independant Film Channel.

Lighten up and get off the high horse, and have some fun. I'll even spring for the jumbo sized bucket o' popcorn!

(BTW, I also saw The Mummy Returns, Tomb Raider, and Final Fantasy...and had fun each time. I can't wait until Planet of the Apes, Spiderman, and The Time Machine come out)

To eetsoop

The reason I didn't like O Brother... is not only does it have stupid characters, a bore to watch, and has no sense of direction but IT HAS NO PLOT. They go around doing nothing and the ending is really nothing. A waste of 2 hrs if you ask me.

And back to the subject. I saw JP3 yesterday and was impressed. I have the same feeling as almost everyone else. Not nearly as good as the original but better than the Lost World. The only thing keeping it back was that the showdown with the spinosaurous wasnt that exciting and it wasn't at the end. Also I miss the T-Rex. I know it was time to move on but it just dosen't seem like JP without the T-Rex. A good movie anyways.

Degen
relax.... The Rex will be back. This is Site B the nurturing site. The one that had the battle with Spiney was only one of many Rexes.This is Hollywood ...If there are $$$$$ in it The rex will return.

They shouldve added a final battle seen with a major TRex and Spinosaurus battle towards the end. It couldn't have hurt the running time b/c the movie is pretty short. The main problem was not enough deaths. They should have killed off one of the stars ala Deep Blue Sea. Instead they kill off all the expendable characters at the beginning and we are left with all of the stars and we KNOW they are going to live.

<SPOILER ALERT>
This includes Alessandro Nivola's character, it was obvious he was going to make it, and even if he didn't we wouldn't have got to watch him get eaten.
<END SPOILER>

and thats what I want to see mainly, dinosaurs eating people, or eating eachother, or doing both at the same time. So thats why I'm happy they didn't waste my time with too much non-dino stuff. But more would have made it that much better.

Just my two cents:

I also thought JP3 sucked as well. I kept rooting for the dinos to finish off all the idiots so it would be over and I could go home.

I appreciate everyones comments and everyone has had terrific insight on this topic. But I'm not even talking just about artsy films. Remember when action flicks entranced you. Made you thirst for sequels. ex: star wars trilogy, indy(not the mummy or tomb raider= unoriginal rehashed garbage when compared to an original idea like INDY), blade runner, early leathal weapons, dark crystal, alien, die hard, ghost busters, J P 1, rocky, terminator 1 and 2(now that was a sequel) superman, batman 1 and 2. the list is endlist. These were big summertime no brainer movies that are now considered classics. Now don't get me wrong there are a few newer movies I love, but every year they get fewer and further between. 2 Examples of new non artsy fartsy movies I like are the matrix(doesn't need a sequal. Sequels are just made to make hollywood money 90 % of the time), fight club, etc, etc, etc. List goes on and on.

P.S Too prove my point can anyone name any movies from this summer or last summer that will be considered classics in the next few years (shrek was good but a classic/ perhaps). When I hear JP 3 making 50 million over opening weak makes me laugh my *** off. This just goes to show that we are all suckers for brand names and hype. All you really had to do was watch the chase scenes from the first and second movies and that would have been your sequel.
P.S.S I swear godzilla was JP 2 1/2
thx. you once again Darla

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter