July 2023 W.I.S.H. Thread, Hello Sunshine!☀️

The boat trip today is all about self-care. I’m really looking forward to it. Easy, relaxing and something totally different... exactly what I need right now. Weather forecast is pretty much perfect, so that will add to the enjoyment.

There's a self-pick flower farm fairly close to my house, yesterday I stopped by and got myself a bouquet. I love it and am so happy they have things blooming now so I can have locally grown super fresh flowers... more self care.

1690725371081.png

Keeping with the theme @Oneanne a neighborhood kid prunes his yard and sells flowers (in vases!) on Friday nights. This may become a weekly purchase. He also collects toiletries for various organizations at the same time. Love to see a kid giving back and entering the business world!
20230730_110622.jpg

Today is family pool day at my in-laws. Weekly summer get together for everyone who happens to be around. When it's a full crowd it's 15 adults/kids...today will be less because of vacations but it's a nice way for everyone to hang out and catch up. Not self care in the tradional sense but hours in the fresh air with the sound of happy children is good for the soul. And the crazy heat/humidity broke last night so a plus!

I think they tried one for a bit, but it wasn't compatible with a later upgrade or something??

I have the regular site bookmarked in Safari on my phone, and it's usually fine. (Some things are a lot easier to do on the computer, but a couple things are actually more convenient, plus it's nice to be able to pop on whenever.) I end up using both the phone and PC.

Thanks - I need to try it on my phone sometime because I would like being able to just pop on whenever I want instead of always being tied to my laptop.

Today is kind of a lazy day for me and it feels nice after being gone since Wednesday.

We went to church this morning and then ate at our local mexican restaurant today with my mom and sisters families. We then came home and watched the baseball game, which out team won. That's odd this year because they've had a very bad year. I still like watching, but it's definitely more fun when they win!

Now, I'm trying to get caught up on a few computer things and get the laundry done. Not typical self-care, but it feels good to get it done and not have to worry about it during the week.

I'm limping into the week with a nasty UTI, and I'm rather upset by it... with all the good things I've been doing health wise how the heck did this happen? It hit full force during our lunch break on shore yesterday (I didn't let it spoil the day), but in hindsight it has been brewing for probably a week. Ugh.

Other than that the cruise yesterday was perfection. We went quite far north where Orcas had been spotted and spent maybe an hour watching them hunt seals, sad for the seals but fascinating. The weather was perfect, had a nice lunch in Friday Harbor and my table mates on the boat turned out to be really nice... a Father and Daughter from Chicago who had been camping along the Washington coast and had added the boat trip last minute. He was an avid photographer and got some spectacular pictures of a group of Puffins playing a beak tapping game... which was actually just as awesome to see as the whales hunting.

At work we're going to be hearing tomorrow who has been moved in to the new Org, so it is going to be an even tougher week, but at least things are moving forward. I'm still leaning more towards wanting to move, but we'll see. I can't remember if I mentioned it but my Engineering Manager has given her notice and this is her last week, so the things I've been struggling with with her are moot now and whatever happens it is a clear and open field to start anew.

Last edited:
I'm officially in remission!! My end of treatment scan was this morning and the results are already posted. Complete metabolic response, no evidence of disease! So freaking glad to have that confirmed and ready to start August fresh.

I also got myself up to 10k as of my long run yesterday, so I've hit my goal of three 5ks, a 10k, and two cross-trains per week. I have about 7 weeks to work on pacing before the 10k I registered for in late September.

Weight has been moving a lot slower than I would like, but it's moving. We've got a big old San Diego / Disneyland trip in August, so I'm sure that month will be a wash, but I'm sure the number will come as I continue to rebuild my strength and endurance.

My motivation heading into August is to get my butt in gear with vacation and new school year planning, now that the weight of the cancer-what-if has been lifted. We fly in 17 days and I haven't finished my packing list!! (Which, yes, I know that's totally normal for some folks. For me, that's like saying we fly in 17 minutes and I haven't packed, lol!)

View attachment 781716
Just a little reminder to not compare ourselves to media images...
What is motivating you as we finish the month?

I love that quote!

I'm motivated by the fact that DH is having surgery on his deviated septum on Wednesday, so it's going to be a crazy week. I'm trying to get everything at work and at home done as much as possible in case I end up having to take off any extra time to be able to stay and help him in the days following the surgery. I imagine I'll only be off on Wednesday, but just want to be prepared in case.

I'm also motivated because I was up a few pounds from our Wed - Sat trip to Nashville for work. I'm kind of disappointed in myself. This summer when we went on vacation for 11 days, I actually lost a pound, but I did terrible these 4 days. But, I'm back on track today and plan to have a good week! I'd imagine some of it is just a little bloating because yesterday morning, I could notice a difference in the way my sandals felt, so hopefully some of it will go away once that's back to normal.

I'm officially in remission!! My end of treatment scan was this morning and the results are already posted. Complete metabolic response, no evidence of disease! So freaking glad to have that confirmed and ready to start August fresh.

I also got myself up to 10k as of my long run yesterday, so I've hit my goal of three 5ks, a 10k, and two cross-trains per week. I have about 7 weeks to work on pacing before the 10k I registered for in late September.

Weight has been moving a lot slower than I would like, but it's moving. We've got a big old San Diego / Disneyland trip in August, so I'm sure that month will be a wash, but I'm sure the number will come as I continue to rebuild my strength and endurance.

My motivation heading into August is to get my butt in gear with vacation and new school year planning, now that the weight of the cancer-what-if has been lifted. We fly in 17 days and I haven't finished my packing list!! (Which, yes, I know that's totally normal for some folks. For me, that's like saying we fly in 17 minutes and I haven't packed, lol!)

Wonderful news!!!

Woohoo... congratulations!

Topic Tuesday
Screenshot_20230730_214057_Chrome.jpg

It's been HOT and I don't know about you but that means more take out at my house? What's your approach for making healthy choices while not cooking for yourself?

Personally I go for the kids meal route! I also order pizzas double cut (16 slices instead of 8) to trick my brain into feeling like I ate 3 pieces when it was really a slice and a half.

Also the August thread is up. Please post the week you want to host and I'll update the first post. Thread 'August 2023 W.I.S.H blissful, bold blue moon' https://www.disboards.com/threads/august-2023-w-i-s-h-blissful-bold-blue-moon.3926424/

While I'm not a great cook I am very good at assembling, which lends itself well to the long hot days of summer. Last week my go-to for lunch was avocado, romaine, crab meat, a pickled egg and grapefruit segments which was delish. Another favorite is cantaloupe and prosciutto, with some berries tossed in if I have them. And I put balsamic on just about everything.

Recap for July: I lost 10 pounds, so I am actually at my pre-vacation goal weight, but I don't look or feel good because of the stuff going on with my body right now. I've done some fun summer stuff, but in August I need to take better advantage of the long evenings, while we've still got them.

Today we hear about our new job assignments and it is going to be a very bad day. I got a preview yesterday and while I'm staying in my current job class and area, others are either moving to the new job class or moving to new areas, which is going to be very upsetting. It is just going to be a long hard day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter