June 2018 trip report

connor2002

Mouseketeer
Well it’s the every other year time again to make the trip to the fort. We leave from Phoenix Wednesday May 30th and will spend a week in Destin then arrive on June 9th. We plan on at least 16 days, then head back west to San Diego. I believe this is our 5th trip but might be our sixth, have to figure that out now because it will bug me. Our last trip was in June 2016 and 3 negative things happens in Orlando as well as I had to leave for a couple of days during the trip which coupled with the negative events spoiled the magic. My kids are older now so I get to spend more time at the fort and less time in the parks. I want to take more pictures and try to document my days more this trip than trips in the past. I like to cook and spend time at the meadows pool and do a little work on the laptop....eat wings at Davy Crockett.....need to rehab my pellet smoker..... bought a small fridge that fits in my basement storage to save on the Disney ice expense.....I am assuming the WiFi is good now..... Bama Ed still participating.....garden grocery still deliver......

Well it’s the every other year time again to make the trip to the fort. We leave from Phoenix Wednesday May 30th and will spend a week in Destin then arrive on June 9th. We plan on at least 16 days, then head back west to San Diego. I believe this is our 5th trip but might be our sixth, have to figure that out now because it will bug me. Our last trip was in June 2016 and 3 negative things happens in Orlando as well as I had to leave for a couple of days during the trip which coupled with the negative events spoiled the magic. My kids are older now so I get to spend more time at the fort and less time in the parks. I want to take more pictures and try to document my days more this trip than trips in the past. I like to cook and spend time at the meadows pool and do a little work on the laptop....eat wings at Davy Crockett.....need to rehab my pellet smoker..... bought a small fridge that fits in my basement storage to save on the Disney ice expense.....I am assuming the WiFi is good now..... Bama Ed still participating.....garden grocery still deliver......
The garden grocery still delivers but their prices have increased ridiculously. There are other grocery delivery services available but we've yet to use any. Instacart is what I am looking at for our next trip. Amazon prime also has a grocery service.

Hey ya, Steve! Good to hear from you again. :wave:

Yes, I am still participating. And yes, I am hungry for more pictures of you cooking large hunks of meat in your smoker at the Fort. (Sorry for being a broken record in that regard).

I got back from a spring break trip to the Fort about a week ago. The WIFI is decent but can crawl in the evening hours when more people are on it.

The turkeys were out and about last week in loop 1500 where I was. Just askin' for a friend, how is your smoked turkey breast? :rolleyes1

Looking forward to reading up on your prep and trip.

Bama Ed

PS - I posted some pix and trip report posts in our pinned group TR thread for March. I start about on page 8 and finish on about page 12 if you want to see how our trip went.

I AM SLACKING! toll pass purchased, RV annual service completed, RV detail completed. We Left PHX Wednesday and arrived in Destin Thursday. We made good time until LA. Long day Thursday but sitting here this morning all alone on the beach makes the long drive worth it. IS there any free photo hosting sites left? I need to figure out how to post pictures....We plan on Arriving at the Fort this Saturday.....

You can post directly from your computer by using the image icon. You can also post from your smartphone, others will have to help you out. What will you be using to post?

Connor,

I'm an Android guy too. There are 2 easy ways I have found to post pics from my phone. The first is set the photo resolution to something terrible. This makes the pics small enough to post directly by using the Upload file button at the bottom right of the message window on DIS. That leaves you with poor photos to enjoy later.

Here's the slightly more complex way, but gives you better pics AND you can post them here.

Go to the Play Store and search for "Photo & Picture Resizer" The icon looks like this.
ygdCQR54MsM49s68tGDXq22xLhM9OExK_YoJyv0KPAWdqfoyPUmR4IFU-lJckDxxRg=s180

Install it.

After you have taken a pic, go into Gallery, select the pic. Across the bottom you should see the Share icon.
042-128.png

Click on the 3 dots "Share" icon and a bunch of options will popup. You use this same share icon to attach the pic to a text or email or can send it to another device.

From all the options, find the one that looks like the blue square icon with the arrows (above). It will say "Resizer". Select it and the Resizer screen will open.

You will see your pic and at the top right, there will be a symbol with 4 arrows pointing to the center.
images

Click that and you get the option to save the pic to 25%, 40%, 50%, 75% or custom. I generally pic 25%, but I shoot pics at the highest phone resolution. When you select the percent size, it automatically makes a new, smaller image and puts it in a "PhotoResizer" album with the rest of your pics in the Gallery.

From here, it is just like adding any pic to DISBoards. Use the "Upload a File" button at the bottom of the text window on DISBoard. Find the "PhotoResizer" gallery on your phone and click on the pic you want to add.

Once you get the hang of it, it takes 30 seconds to resize and add in a photo from your phone.

j

After you upload the file, Steve, choose the "Full Image" button next to it because otherwise it defaults to the Thumbnail size which is what is above.

Bama Ed

Connor,

I'm an Android guy too. There are 2 easy ways I have found to post pics from my phone. The first is set the photo resolution to something terrible. This makes the pics small enough to post directly by using the Upload file button at the bottom right of the message window on DIS. That leaves you with poor photos to enjoy later.

Here's the slightly more complex way, but gives you better pics AND you can post them here.

Go to the Play Store and search for "Photo & Picture Resizer" The icon looks like this.

Install it.

After you have taken a pic, go into Gallery, select the pic. Across the bottom you should see the Share icon.
042-128.png

Click on the 3 dots "Share" icon and a bunch of options will popup. You use this same share icon to attach the pic to a text or email or can send it to another device.

From all the options, find the one that looks like the blue square icon with the arrows (above). It will say "Resizer". Select it and the Resizer screen will open.

You will see your pic and at the top right, there will be a symbol with 4 arrows pointing to the center.
images

Click that and you get the option to save the pic to 25%, 40%, 50%, 75% or custom. I generally pic 25%, but I shoot pics at the highest phone resolution. When you select the percent size, it automatically makes a new, smaller image and puts it in a "PhotoResizer" album with the rest of your pics in the Gallery.

From here, it is just like adding any pic to DISBoards. Use the "Upload a File" button at the bottom of the text window on DISBoard. Find the "PhotoResizer" gallery on your phone and click on the pic you want to add.

Once you get the hang of it, it takes 30 seconds to resize and add in a photo from your phone.

j
THANKS
Connor,

Install it.

042-128.png

images

j
THANKS

I've always bought the hopper option. I generally hit 1 park a day for the first few days and then bounce around the rest of the week. I'll start the morning in one park. Head back to the Fort for a while in the afternoon and then catch the night time show at a different park. The flexibility is great, but pricey for a family of 6.

j

Rainy afternoon here today. I did online check-in, asked for a place near the pool and transportation? Maybe bathroom) and got a 2000 site that was as far from bathroom, pool, and bus as possible. Back to the front and now we are close to the bathroom and bus. May seek out the food truck for dinner, not sure as one of my sons is with my sister at Universal and I have to go get him late. Debating City Walk - are there a good amount of places where we can eat without a reservation?

The recent rain has turned the Fort green and fresh. Tomorrow is a MK marathon day.

40AEDE83-6E8D-4F3C-81EB-33A0DACAF452.jpeg 36B59840-108A-49CD-9C88-CD4A29FD92B2.jpeg A couple of interesting things I spotted around the Fort today:

Those of you here on Thursdays in June - free food and a cooking lesson.

I hadn’t seen these letters before but they were on all the bulletin boards. I wonder (hope) he lurks here.

We got back last Monday from an 10 night stay at All Stars (2 nights), SSR (7 nights), & POP (1 nights). We used all our internet gift card earnings on the trip & annual passes for my wife and me, which is the first time we have purchased APs. Now I have gotten permission to catch a local (Orlando) wrestling show on the 30th that I have been wanting to see and I might take my nephew as my wife cannot go. So I have gotten 3 nights at the Fort for some light tent camping (which she hates but will be ok with staying at the Fort once I get enough for that RV I am saving for) & I am looking forward to my return to the Fort. I may brave the crowds for Toy Story land but the event I am going to is that night so maybe not. But I can't wait to be at the Fort again to proudly display my DISBoard Member sign. I am ready to go now. :tongue:

We got back last Monday from an 10 night stay at All Stars (2 nights), SSR (7 nights), & POP (1 nights). So I have gotten 3 nights at the Fort for some light tent camping (which she hates but will be ok with staying at the Fort once I get enough for that RV I am saving for) & I am looking forward to my return to the Fort. I may brave the crowds for Toy Story land but the event I am going to is that night so maybe not. But I can't wait to be at the Fort again to proudly display my DISBoard Member sign. I am ready to go now. :tongue:

I was reading your post, KB, and thinking at first you were just braggin' about your hotel stays. But it sounds more like you were missing the Fort.

When EXACTLY is your tent camping trip? This month?

Good luck, man! I hope it's not too hot and rainy. A portable AC on rollers is about $300 at Home Depot in case you need to cool the tent down at night. I'm sure your nephew will appreciate your effort.

You are braver than I am. I have never been to the Fort in summer (Memorial Day weekend was the latest in the spring I've been) so I hope things work out for you.

Bama Ed

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!