June park days…do I need to swap due to AP at MK?

Redsred3

Mouseketeer
With the new AP days being announced (and now sold out) for TBA in June, I am starting to think we need to change our park days. We are a group of 9, most of their first trips and probably only trips to Disney. We planned on going June 14th to MK. And June 15th to HS. With 6/14 being an AP day for TBA is it going to be absolutely slammed? We already were worried about getting enough done with such a large group of varying ages and stamina. Adding in a sold out situation makes it sound like a bad idea. I have a fireworks cruise booked at MK to celebrate my bday, so I have to see if it’s even possible to move that. But do you think I should swap MK and HS since the 15th isn’t listed as an AP day? Or will it not matter much since the 15th is a Saturday and probably pretty bad anyways? We have gone this same week in prior years and it was moderate as far as crowds, so I'm fully prepared for busy. But hoping to avoid mayhem. Any advice would be helpful!

With the new AP days being announced (and now sold out) for TBA in June, I am starting to think we need to change our park days. We are a group of 9, most of their first trips and probably only trips to Disney. We planned on going June 14th to MK. And June 15th to HS. With 6/14 being an AP day for TBA is it going to be absolutely slammed? We already were worried about getting enough done with such a large group of varying ages and stamina. Adding in a sold out situation makes it sound like a bad idea. I have a fireworks cruise booked at MK to celebrate my bday, so I have to see if it’s even possible to move that. But do you think I should swap MK and HS since the 15th isn’t listed as an AP day? Or will it not matter much since the 15th is a Saturday and probably pretty bad anyways? We have gone this same week in prior years and it was moderate as far as crowds, so I'm fully prepared for busy. But hoping to avoid mayhem. Any advice would be helpful!
I wouldn't bother changing. Many of the AP's are locals, and since it is a VQ situation, will be coming for a couple of hours to do the ride and maybe a couple other things. It is not "sold out" - rather the bucket for AP-only reservations is full. There was not an appreciable change in crowds for either time I did the GotG or Remy AP previews. Besides, MK is usually busiest on weekends. Disney does not release the numbers on how many AP reservations are given out, nor the number of allotted slots in the preview, but typically limits them to ensure that overcrowding at a new ride doesn't back things up operationally.

I wouldn't bother changing. Many of the AP's are locals, and since it is a VQ situation, will be coming for a couple of hours to do the ride and maybe a couple other things. It is not "sold out" - rather the bucket for AP-only reservations is full. There was not an appreciable change in crowds for either time I did the GotG or Remy AP previews. Besides, MK is usually busiest on weekends. Disney does not release the numbers on how many AP reservations are given out, nor the number of allotted slots in the preview, but typically limits them to ensure that overcrowding at a new ride doesn't back things up operationally.
Thank you. This makes me feel better. I wish they would give additional data as to how many slots per day for AP. But I’m glad maybe they limit it to help operationally. We intentionally scheduled MK for a Friday bc I know Sat/Sun/Mon are the busiest, and those were our other options.

I agree.

We are also going the week of previews and are not AP or DVC so it’s a bummer for us. We planned to do MK Thursday the 13th or Friday the 14th due to those being the traditional lower crowd days and of course those are now the two AP previews. We have the flexibility to do MK any other day of the week so we may swap for earlier in the week.

We are also arriving in late June and I've been looking at Thrill Data and based on wait times it's interesting that Thursday and Saturday in the same week were very close in terms of average wait time last year, with Saturday actually having a slightly lower average wait time than Thursday overall. Keep in mind that Pixie Pass holders are blocked out on Saturday and Park Hoppers cannot enter MK without a previous park reservation on that day as well.

Yeah so everyone and their brother is now switching to Saturday to avoid AP?

You cannot really win here.

The reality is , this will bump park numbers, perhaps quite a bit. It's Summer break, so entire families can us there AP together to hit up this ride. And if you know AP folks, they will not pass up the opportunity, as it shows already since the sold out all the reservations already....

It's gonna be a zoo, and that side of the park is going to be over run.

The only advantage is the other parks will SEEM less crowded compared to the mobs at MK.

As far as previous AP previews , they were during Covid times, and not really a factor here....

We are literally going the exact DAYS of the AP previews.....it's literally every day we are there.....

Gonna have to grin and bear it....

We will be at Disney the full week of media preview and annual pass preview. How do we handle Magic Kingdom? Are the previews all day? Or limited to set hours? So disappointed bc now Genie + is going to cost even more!! Ahhhhhhhhhhh. Didn’t need this added stress or cost just a few weeks before our trip!

Yeah so everyone and their brother is now switching to Saturday to avoid AP?

You cannot really win here.

The reality is , this will bump park numbers, perhaps quite a bit. It's Summer break, so entire families can us there AP together to hit up this ride. And if you know AP folks, they will not pass up the opportunity, as it shows already since the sold out all the reservations already....

It's gonna be a zoo, and that side of the park is going to be over run.

The only advantage is the other parks will SEEM less crowded compared to the mobs at MK.

As far as previous AP previews , they were during Covid times, and not really a factor here....

We are literally going the exact DAYS of the AP previews.....it's literally every day we are there.....

Gonna have to grin and bear it....
huh?

WDW has been doing AP previews since long before Covid.

AP holders will very likely be limited in how many times they can go on the attraction via a VQ. Non-AP parkgoers will not be allowed to ride. Other folks might go over that way to see the ride, but there won't be a huge reason to stick around.

I was told on this forum that HS would be mobbed the day that Galaxy's Edge had AP previews, and the day it opened to the public. It wasn't.

If anything, fear of crowds kept park-goers away.

On the GE preview day, HS had slightly elevated levels- and this was back in 2019 when AP didn't need park reservations. The park was VERY strict. ONLY people who had a VQ could enter GE.

huh?

WDW has been doing AP previews since long before Covid.

AP holders will very likely be limited in how many times they can go on the attraction via a VQ. Non-AP parkgoers will not be allowed to ride. Other folks might go over that way to see the ride, but there won't be a huge reason to stick around.

I was told on this forum that HS would be mobbed the day that Galaxy's Edge had AP previews, and the day it opened to the public. It wasn't.

If anything, fear of crowds kept park-goers away.

On the GE preview day, HS had slightly elevated levels- and this was back in 2019 when AP didn't need park reservations. The park was VERY strict. ONLY people who had a VQ could enter GE.
What you are saying literally makes no sense.....

By the very definition of opening a VQ for a new ride and we KNOW reservations are sold out, that guarantees there will MORE people in the parks than pervious.....it's just simple math.

Reddit is full of posts of people traveling from all over to get on this ride....you really think they are just gonna "pop in" ride one ride and leave?

nonsense.

Even the locals who come, they are in lines to get into the parks, use the bathroom, eat food.....it's very unlikely they are just gonna stop by ride on ride and leave. Going through all that is just not worth it to ride and leave.

Not to mention all the wanna be influencers who will want that first video on YouTube, who will be causing disruptions all over with thier filming.

It's gonna be nutz. Just bad luck for some people....

Numbers do not lie. The only advantage here is Disney will likely increase capacity to handle the surge those days, which may actually cut down on wait time for scalable rides.

Genie plus is gonna cost more that day also, transportation in and out of the parks is going to be way busier than it would have been also.

Follow up questions. If we keep as is and go on the 14th, what is the earliest time slot for virtual queue do we think? Park open? Although we qualify for early entry, our plan had been to rope drop Adventureland, as the rope drop for EE seems way too crowded for some in our party with thick crowd issues. Plus, there’s not much in the EE areas that we would want to start with. But now I’m worried the Adventureland side of the park at rope drop is going to be absolutely bananas and worse than the EE crowd. Any suggestions or how to proceed? It’s 9 of us, so it’s like herding cats as it is 😞 But I also was really looking forward to a Nutella waffle from Sleepy Hollow for breakfast for my 40th bday. First world problems, I know, but these previews really threw a big wrench in our vacation.

Follow up questions. If we keep as is and go on the 14th, what is the earliest time slot for virtual queue do we think? Park open? Although we qualify for early entry, our plan had been to rope drop Adventureland, as the rope drop for EE seems way too crowded for some in our party with thick crowd issues. Plus, there’s not much in the EE areas that we would want to start with. But now I’m worried the Adventureland side of the park at rope drop is going to be absolutely bananas and worse than the EE crowd. Any suggestions or how to proceed? It’s 9 of us, so it’s like herding cats as it is 😞 But I also was really looking forward to a Nutella waffle from Sleepy Hollow for breakfast for my 40th bday. First world problems, I know, but these previews really threw a big wrench in our vacation.
Adventureland is not open for ETPE and they hold all guests not eligible for ETPE towards the Adventureland side of the hub. (There is also a holding area inside, just past iasw and Peter Pan for guests who were eligible for ETPE.) When official park hours begin all guests will be eligible to enter all lands.

A VQ is not for a specific time but rather for a group number that will be called. Since TBA is located in a portion of the park that is not open for ETPE, (a first I believe), I would anticipate they will start calling first groups as soon as the park officially opens to all guests for the day.

Adventureland is not open for ETPE and they hold all guests not eligible for ETPE towards the Adventureland side of the hub. (There is also a holding area inside, just past iasw and Peter Pan for guests who were eligible for ETPE.) When official park hours begin all guests will be eligible to enter all lands.

A VQ is not for a specific time but rather for a group number that will be called. Since TBA is located in a portion of the park that is not open for ETPE, (a first I believe), I would anticipate they will start calling first groups as soon as the park officially opens to all guests for the day.
Yes I know Adventureland isn’t open with early entry. We were going to do regular rope drop at park open, at Adventureland. Instead of starting a little earlier for early entry at Fantasyland or Tomorrowland. But I’m just worried with TBA doing VQ, that Adventureland rope drop is going to be insane.

… we KNOW reservations are sold out, that guarantees there will MORE people in the parks than pervious.....it's just simple math..
No it doesn’t. Many APs who don’t get VQs, or don’t get VQs that will time out right, won’t even bother to show. AP reservations are not a way to determine how busy the park will be in this case.

Now, if every park was full for everyday of AP previews it would be a more interesting question about crowds because all you need is a res at any park to try for the afternoon drop. But they aren’t full, in fact nothing but mk is booked out to APs those days so apparently there aren’t APs traveling in droves for a shot at a TBA VQ or all AP reservations those days everywhere would be gone.

Yes I know Adventureland isn’t open with early entry. We were going to do regular rope drop at park open, at Adventureland. Instead of starting a little earlier for early entry at Fantasyland or Tomorrowland. But I’m just worried with TBA doing VQ, that Adventureland rope drop is going to be insane.
You want an answer nobody can give you. Since you seem rather worried about this, change your plans. That way it doesn’t matter what happens, you can have some peace of mind you won’t be battling big AP TBA crowds.

You mentioned above that some of your party do not do well in crowds. Park opening = crowds at all parks. If this is a big concern you may wish to arrive a while after parks open to avoid standing in crowds.

You mentioned above that some of your party do not do well in crowds. Park opening = crowds at all parks. If this is a big concern you may wish to arrive a while after parks open to avoid standing in crowds.
Asfar as crowds, they can handle some, it just depends. We’ve rope dropped Animal Kingdom and Epcot before. But exiting Fantasmic was not good for a few in my family. The big crowd I’ve seen at MK for early entry for Seven Dwarfs looked intense so I was worried it would be more like the dense crowd of Fantasmic. But Adventureland for rope drop looked pretty similiar to the other rope drop crowds we’ve done and could handle just fine. But with TBA and AP VQ days, I was just more concerned that side of the park at rope drop was going to be extremely dense with crowds. Sounds like there might not be a way to avoid it. I’d rather rope drop and get more done early on, that have the full park day crowds to contend with by coming later in the day. I think, atleast. Still trying to figure out what would be best.

I have already switched my MK day that was on the 13th to the 12th, and then go to Epcot on the 13th. I don’t have AP nor DVC so I’m not going to risk insane local / AP crowds for the preview day I’m there. It’s a shame that I missed general opening by 2 weeks. Gonna have to wait another year for this.

I have already switched my MK day that was on the 13th to the 12th, and then go to Epcot on the 13th. I don’t have AP nor DVC so I’m not going to risk insane local / AP crowds for the preview day I’m there. It’s a shame that I missed general opening by 2 weeks. Gonna have to wait another year for this.
I wish I could do this 😞. Our dates start the first day of AP previews and end before the are over. Smart move on your part though. Sounds much less stressful!

I wish I could do this 😞. Our dates start the first day of AP previews and end before the are over. Smart move on your part though. Sounds much less stressful!
I’m not convinced that AP previews will affect park attendance to a great degree.

I compare it to other VQ attractions which all fill in seconds at 7AM then not much longer at 1PM. Do those VQs affect the crowds in the rest of the park? Guests with APs and a park reservation can attempt for a VQ at 7AM. If they don’t get it, how many will decide not to go?

Or, in the grand scheme of how many thousands of people are already in the park, will one attraction make that much difference when they need to secure a park reservation plus VQ to ride?

Personally, I see the way these previews are being done as a way to reduce the ‘extra’ people in the park as opposed to the days when it meant all APs who secured a preview guaranteed access and thus most showed up.

The only time we had APs was when there was the opportunity to visit the new attractions in Fantasyland (minus SDMT) and honestly, in the grand scheme of things, the people attending that would barely make a dent in MK attendance.

I would go and have a great time and not give a second thought to the AP Previews. I truly don’t think you’ll see a big jump and if anything, the AP previews may keep some people away similar to how parties do!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter