• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Just a note about spraying feet with deoderant

shelle94

<font color=green>Got sucked back into Everquest<b
I saw that tip on here a while ago...if you spray your feet with spray deoderant they won't sweat and you won't get blisters. We don't normally use spray deoderant so I bought some just for the trip. By the second day my boyfriend's feet were huge! His toes looked like fat little sausages. :eek: It was very painful. It took us about a day to realize that it was probably the spray. So he stopped using it and his feet started going down.

So....my tip is....test any products you are going to use BEFORE you go! I wish we had.:)

Dr. Schools foot spray (about $6) works great!

It DOES NOT work with sandals (which is one of the main reasons I got it - because my feet get really sweaty), except for the fact that it does stop some of the odors.

I believe you are supposed to wear socks anyways, and it works great! They say to spray twice a day, and to change your socks twice a day.

It worked pretty good (what do you expect for six bucks) but I wouldn't say your feet are going to be completely dry and odor free, but it does a good job of reducing it.

There are also powders, which I haven't tried.

I got this no blister tip from an old Guide Book.

Wash your feet with soap every morning and evening to wash away the salts that cause the Blisters.

I did this and it really worked well. We also switched off between
two pairs of shoes,each day. And carried fresh sox to change into mid day!!

On our recent Paris/Disneyland Paris trip, I tried the deoderant and other recommendations made here (like special socks that don't ride up and absorb sweat, and changing shoes frequently, and moleskins) and the ONLY thing that ended up working for me were the moleskins which I didn't use till I already had the blisters. They helped the best.

I get my blisters right below my toes, usually right under my big toe and then I usually get one on the bottom of my baby toe. I start to feel burning and know I'm about to get a blister. It seems to be where I have the most pressure and it's definitely related to the socks. I don't know what to do except try the moleskins before I actually get the blisters!

Any other tips?

beattyfamily - you get your blisters exactly where I get mine! The only thing that worked for me was buying shoes 1/2 size smaller than I normally do. Generally I like extra room, but by purchasing the smaller size, my feet slid less and I ended up with no blisters at all.

Molefoam did the trick for me last time I did get blisters. Just remember to cut a bunch of it before you leave home.

The swelling feet!!!! Holy cow - I never made the connection before this - but I had that same problem. My feet were HUGE. I guess they were meant to sweat! I used to use actual foot spray, and tried deoderant this trip, and now I realize that is what gave me balloon feet. Huh. Go figure.

Ya - if you have any sensitivity, I'd stick to the product that is designed for a specific area, instead of cutting corners.

I also take a very thin pair of sport socks in my fanny pack, and at the end of the day, I'll wear them with my sandals. Not the most fashionable look, but it saves my feet.

I tried the deodorant thing on my feet on our 2000 trip but what I found is that your body HAS to sweat so I was miserable in other body places - adult prickly heat is no fun.

On the 2001 trip, I changed my shoes and socks at midday or before the evening so that my feet did not get too tired in the same shoes. I stll managed to get a blister on my baby toe - both trips! Moleskin cut like a corn plaster worked great to protect the blister.

I have problems on my little toes & soles also. I put moleskin on those areas every morning, BEFORE I get blisters. It works!I just use a lot of moleskin :) I also change shoes & socks during the day.

Just some odd thoughts reading though the thread:

1) Technically, you're talking about spray anti-perspirant, not deodorant. Its getting harder and harder to find plain deodorant these days though. In any event, feet are supposed to sweat, up to a pint a day!

2) Shoes should fit properly. If you really should resize everytime you buy new shoes, wearing the socks you intend to wear in the shoes, and do so at the end of your work day. This is when you feet tend to be the most swollen. Try sizes just above and just below your 'measured' foot, including widths.

3) Changing socks at least twice a day really helps, esp. if you wear cotton socks. Cotton is great for shirts, lousy for socks inside of shoes. It just absorbs sweat then stays wet all day. If you want to read about other types of non-cotton socks, do a search for 'Thorlos' on these boards. That should turn up a number of threads.

4) If your prone to blisters in the same spots all of the time, going to a quality shoe dealer may help. There are different 'molds' and designs for the different way people walk. Of course, you need to talk to someone who sells shoes for a living, not just somebody who needs a job. :)

5) Do a search on shoes and sandals on this board. You'll find a number of threads on what people seem to like.

Hope this helps,
Joe

I have found that wearing soft, comfrotable sandals during the day works best for me.

When my feet are hot & sweaty I get absolutely miserable, because my whole body is too hot. I wear the sandals & it keeps my body temperature down because I can get some air on my feet.

In the evening I will put on the socks & sneakers because it is usually a little bit cooler, so my body is a little warmer when it needs to be.

I know some people don't like to walk in sandals all day, but for me it is the best thing - just ask my family!!!!!!

Can someone tell me what this moleskin is please???? I think I am the only person in the country who does not know lol...

Thanks

Leigh123 - Don't feel bad. I didn't know either & had to ask the same thing! LOL!

I guess you cut small pieces of it & put it where you normally get blisters. From the posts I've read on these boards, that seems to work the best for preventing blisters or helping them feel better if you do get them.

We sprinkled baby powder inside our socks before we put them on. This worked well.

Originally posted by Leigh123
Can someone tell me what this moleskin is please???? I think I am the only person in the country who does not know lol...

Thanks

Don't worry, there's lots of people who don' t know....maybe you're the only Disney fan that doesn't though... :)

Adding to mel's comments, moleskin is a thin, cushiony material which has sticky stuff on one side to keep it stuck to your sweaty skin. Some people use it as a prophylactic in spots where they know they get blisters. In this case, it acts as a second skin and it takes the shear forces which would normally cause blisters.

As a first aid item, moleskin is placed _around_ a blister (or anything else you want 'padded'), providing a pillow around the blister so that the blister doesn't continue to get rubbed. You generally don't want the moleskin on the blister.

Baby powder helps to an extent, but once it's saturated, it looses its effectiveness (much like anything else). But it is kinda funny watching it puff out as you walk. :)

-Joe, who should be writing status reports, not dis posts.

A trick that I've seen from playing soccer is to use nylons under your socks. Girls would wear the knee high kind under their shinguards to prevent blisters instead of wearing two pairs of socks. I personally never tried this; I was a two-socker soccer player :D Might be worth a try though.

Being blessed with a y chromosone :-) , I've can't speak from first hand experience but, aren't nylons uncomfortably hot in warmer weather?

Being blessed with a y chromosone :) , I've can't speak from first hand experience but, aren't nylons uncomfortably hot in warmer weather?

You can also buy a lotion that turns into a powder when applied, it is easier to put on than regular powder and you dont get those little "clouds" every time you take a step. I know that you can buy smelly fancy kinds at Bath and Body Works, but there is a less expensive kind (Freeman's) available at Target or Walmart. The Freeman's one is not "girly" so even the guys can use it. :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter