Just arrived at SSR

We are home now. We did watch a movie at the Grandstand pool last night which was very nice. We had a great time and can't wait to go back in Oct. DH and I were not sure if we would like SSR but we love it. We think out of the DVC's we have stayed at that we like this one best. We have stayed at BCV and VWL, which we love also but this one is for us. Any questions, let me know.

By the way, while we were there we checked out the new AKL villas.
They are so beautiful. The layout and everything is so different.

Great Report JenR!!

We chose SSR for our family reunion next month. There is something for everyone and I think we will all gather and do a movie at the pool!

We love it there!

Great reports. I look forward to reading them everyday. Makes me feel like I am there. And in 14 days and a wake up ... I will be there!!!!:banana: :banana: :banana: Can't wait the suspense is killing me!!!!!!!!

Grandstand actually feels closer to things then our Springs building last December. We're closest to the first bus stop on the route, can see the traffic come into the resort up Broadway (but not hear it), and have our own lighted pathway along the backside to the Carriage House. My dad and I have taken several walks early morning, mid-day and evening so far (one each day). We take our refillable mugs along and get top-ups at AP as we begin and end our journeys.

I can see why folks staying at Congress Park feel the furthest from things. It is a trade off with that DTD view. But Springs, Paddocks and Grandstand all feel within easy reach of AP.

Ok kiddos, my dad's gone off to his conference today, I'm finally free of work problems (don't ya hate getting calls on vacation) and starting my experimental "4 Parks in a Day Marathon". I want to give Disney transport, my powerchair and stamina the fullest workout. (So far transportation has been fabulous. My longest wait for a bus has been 5 minutes. It literally takes longer to load my chair and tie it down than anything else.)

We are staying there in Dec. I can't wait!!

What was the walk to DTD like? Where do you come out at?

Thanks! Have a magical trip!

Are poolside movies scheduled every night? We will be there Sunday 5/27 and would like to try this.

Thanks.

We just booked SSR studio with the AP rate. Is there a map to see all these areas I am reading about? Not DVC owners so it'll be our first experience at SSR

We just booked SSR studio with the AP rate. Is there a map to see all these areas I am reading about? Not DVC owners so it'll be our first experience at SSR

Same thing I was going to post! :goodvibes
I found a map.... but it doesn't include Grandstand area. Where is that located?

Here's a link to the map on allears:
http://www.allearsnet.com/acc/sspringsmap1.jpg
If you look to the left of #1(the check in) that is where the Grandstand is located. When we took that pathway to DtD from that area we ended up in Pleasure Island and had to walk to the Marketplace where we wanted to be. IMHO it's better to just take the boat right there to DtD. It was much easier/quicker to get to the Marketplace from the Congress Park section. We love SSR and can't wait to be back there in Nov!!

JENR thanks so much for your daily reports and the info on the pool side movies!

I am so glad I found this thread!! We are going to SSR for the first time in November and I have been nervous and confused about staying there due to other threads and posts. We have currently requested to stay in the Springs section or Congress Park--would you recommend we change our request?????

I like the fact that the Grandstand is the first to pick up along the bus routes, but not sure if the distance from the main building is too much? (Traveling with DD who will be 4 by then)

We will be gone for over 10 days, so I will need the laundry facilities--do they have their own by the Grandstand pool?

Will they be doing the movie nights in November, or is that just a warmer weather treat?

Any help, comments, etc. about SSR is greatly appreciated at this point. I know we will have a great time, just trying to get as much info about it before we go.

Thanks JenR for your great report--looking forward to hearing more!! :thumbsup2

The Grandstand is very close to the main building IMO. I have stayed in Congress Park and the Paddocks and it was a bit of a walk from both to the main building, but not bad at all. The view from our room of DtD from Congress Park was worth it! Also we like the quiet pool there and the easy walk to DtD from that location. We have 2 kids 9 and 4 and they do the walk with no complaints. I'm not sure about where the laundry facilities are because we get the 1 bedroom with the washer/dryer in the unit. I do remember seeing a laundry room next to where you rent the life jackets and surrey bikes by the main pool. We hope to be in the Grandstand location just to try it out. Plus that pool looks really cool and I think the kids will love it.
I hope they will be doing the movies in Nov because we'll be there then too!
Sorry I wasn't more helpful but if you have any more questions I'll try and help!

Here's the distance map with latest sections.

One thing I've noted. No wonder folks get lost all the time here. They've posted the maps upside down in some parts depending on where you are in the resort. I've misplaced my Grandstand building several times so far.

SSRmap_enhanced.jpg

As far as distance to the main buildings go, it is very short. IMHO, it's even shorter than the Springs building I was in last December (the middle one). If you want to go anywhere in the resort, you end up taking the back way walking path up to Bell Services and AP. And yes, there's a laundry room by the Grandstand pool (you'll go past that too en route elsewhere). The only time you end going away from the resort center is when you head to the bus stop.

The Paddocks/Springs loop didn't seem that far to me though. Now AP to Congress Park is a bit of a haul. It is a trade off on view vs. location. Still I keep seeing the procession of refillable mug toters heading to AP throughout the day.

Thanks so much for the report. My family also loves SSR. I think being within walking distance (close proximity) to DTD is one of the most underrated perks. We eat and shop their tons during our stays. SSR is just a really beautiful laid-back resort. I'm glad you love it too.:cloud9:

ok so to sum it up you would suggest the Grandstand area over the Springs? We are interested in swimming, counter service meals and refillable mugs. 6 day stay will be 4 at the resort and only 2 at the parks.

This will be our first visit and we honestly do not care too much for DTD <gasp>

We are normally Beach Club people but I decided to mix it up and take advantage of the super low rate.

Please reassure me we will love it.

Okay everyone.....you made me do it. I changed my request to Grandstand after hearing all the rave reviews. I will still be happy if I end up in one of the other sections, but I am keeping my fingers crossed to end up there. I especially like how it is first on the bus pick up--I would hate to be waiting for a bus, to have it have to pass me by because it was already full. I will be traveling with my DH, DD (who will be 4 by then) and my MIL and FIL. I think DD will enjoy the pool at Grandstand, but if not, we can always go to the main pool as well. She loves riding the boats--so we will definitely be taking them over to DTD instead of walking. Last year we stayed at BWV, and one of the biggest thrills to her was riding the boats to Epcot and MGM. I really can't wait!

This will be the first time we visit in November--coming to see the Christmas festivities. We are hoping for low crowds the week after Turkey Day, since that is what DD is used to. (Last year we visited in September and walked onto everything.) Hopefully if there are many crowds, the Christmas decor will distract her from having to stand in lines!

This will be the first trip for my MIL and FIL in 20+ years. The last time they were there, Epcot wasn't even finished yet!!! They really don't have a clue of what to expect because the place has changed so much. They have just been going along with whatever plans we are making, because they don't know what else to do. I am hoping they enjoy it.

Keep all the good info coming! Thanks to everyone!

MegansMom,

If you have some extra time to fill, take the boat from DTD to POFQ/POR. It's a very relaxing ride - the scenery's great (especially passing beautiful SSR - that's how I fell in love with SSR!!) :)

Spend a little time visiting those resorts, then head back to DTD!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter