Just back from our 1st SSR stay and DDP experience.

Alice Sr.

My little Mouseketeer
We were assigned room 6135 (2 bedroom) in the Paddock section. The room was in perfect condition (as we would expect given the age). Once we figured out how to disable the AC and fan we were very comfortable. I guess I'm a dope for not knowing there aren't balconies/patios for the bedrooms, I wouldn't have bought if I had known that:rolleyes:.

All the CMs we came in contact with were very pleasant, both at the parks and SSR. There have been times in previous visits when I have been a bit concerned that the Disney attitude was going to be a thing of the past. It seemed to me whatever training/employee issues they may have had, have been addressed:).

My DD's walked to DDT one afternoon and thought this was a great perk, so for them the location of SSR was a plus. I will be giving this add-on to my youngest DD when she graduates from high school in 2009, I gave BCV to my oldest DD last year. I was really worried my baby was going to feel jipped, but she really likes the fact you can walk to DTD (planning ahead I guess;).

My only complaint and it is easy to rectify - the bus service - Horrible! I would never stay here again without renting a car. We actually rented a car but my ex used it to go watch his horses train (north of Orlando), so that left us at the mercy of the bus schedule, I don't know maybe we just have bad bus karma:confused3

We tried the DDP since it was just a short trip and just the three of us (the
1st time we have ever gone without my DDs bringing friends). We didn't care for it, but I think it is wonderful to have the option. We did not notice being treated any differently by servers than when we paid cash.

I stopped by several DVC kiosks to ask about AKL but I did not get any additional info (that hasn't already been on the DIS). On our last day we ran over to AKL to see if we could see signs of construction and/or speak with the DVC rep there - we didn't see anything out of the ordinary and the rep was not at the desk.

We miss it already, we are such addicts:wave2:
Alice

Thanks for the report, but I'm having a hard time figuring out this statement...I
guess I'm a dope for not knowing there aren't balconies/patios for the bedrooms, I wouldn't have bought if I had known that.

Whe we stayed at SSR in a studio, there was a balcony. Of course, if you stayed in a 1 bedroom or 2 bedroom, the master doesn't have access to the balcony there, but OKW and BWV would have that access, so not all DVC resorts lack a balcony off the bedrooms. Of course, at OKW you will only get one off the second bedroom if you are in a lock off unit. Dedicated units there would only have balcony access from the living room and master bedroom.

Also, we thought bus service was terrific in December.

Sounds like a good trip. We're just back too. I agree that the CMs were all great this trip.

What generous gifts to your girlsprincess: princess:

Glad you enjoyed your trip! I don't know why they did not put balconies off the bedrooms at SSR. It is strange. Why didn't you like the DDP? Was it too much food?

I just got back from a stay at BW in a two bedroom, where you had access from the bedrooms, but not from the living room. Odd, to say the least.:rolleyes1

As with any resort bus service is really hit or miss. I have had great service at my stays at SSR. And have had horrible service at others.

As for the dining plan. I tried it for a quick 3 day trip with my mom. It was nice not having to worry about food and tips but it was soooo much food. I don't think we would be doing it again. I may have to try with my family and my growing boys, they can eat what hubby and I don't. It might work then.

We had great bus service at Thanksgiving, though our first morning(monday) after the 2nd Epcot bus, we were waiting for MK, a 3rd rolled up and we just hopped on that then worked our way to MK via monorail.

I thought it was really good at night, never the long lines I saw for other resorts and never a long wait either(except for DTD, I'll walk or take the boat next time).

Thanks for the report, but I'm having a hard time figuring out this statement...I

...but OKW and BWV would have that access, so not all DVC resorts lack a balcony off the bedrooms.

Also, we thought bus service was terrific in December.

Right, that's why I was surprised that SSR only had one sliding door off the living room area.

We had 3 instances when the bus we were waiting for was lapped by other park buses, in other words it appeared the park we were waiting for skipped a turn in the rotation. I'll chalk that up to our bad bus karma lol. I'm glad to hear everyone else had a good experience with the buses.

Glad you enjoyed your trip! I don't know why they did not put balconies off the bedrooms at SSR. It is strange. Why didn't you like the DDP? Was it too much food?

At the risk of sounding like a simpleton, it seemed to require too much calculation. We had more TS ressies than allowed for on the plan so sorting out how we wanted to divvy up the credits for that, and trying to utilize the SC to fullest and keeping track of all the actual credits (ie. Puck's double charged our DDP plan the 1st night) seemed like work to me. We are not big eaters so, I don't think it saved us any money or convenience in the long run. I still think it is a great plan just not for our dining/touring style.

Thank you,
Alice

The bus will get delayed when they have vacationers that require extra loading time, that is those with wheelchairs or electric carts. This could cause the bus to appear to 'skip' a loop. I try to just stay relaxed and be thankful I still have the ability to walk on my own. Usually when there is a long delay, a 2nd bus will be along very shortly as the crowds will build sometimes.

We go so often we don't normally care where we start our day, so we just hop on which ever bus shows up. We will get to all the parks before the trip is over, no since waiting unless you have reservations you need to get to.

Remember, your on vacation, relax a little, and you will enjoy your time in the world more.

We were assigned room 6135 (2 bedroom) in the Paddock section. The room was in perfect condition (as we would expect given the age). Once we figured out how to disable the AC and fan we were very comfortable. I guess I'm a dope for not knowing there aren't balconies/patios for the bedrooms, I wouldn't have bought if I had known that:rolleyes:.

All the CMs we came in contact with were very pleasant, both at the parks and SSR. There have been times in previous visits when I have been a bit concerned that the Disney attitude was going to be a thing of the past. It seemed to me whatever training/employee issues they may have had, have been addressed:).

My DD's walked to DDT one afternoon and thought this was a great perk, so for them the location of SSR was a plus. I will be giving this add-on to my youngest DD when she graduates from high school in 2009, I gave BCV to my oldest DD last year. I was really worried my baby was going to feel jipped, but she really likes the fact you can walk to DTD (planning ahead I guess;).

My only complaint and it is easy to rectify - the bus service - Horrible! I would never stay here again without renting a car. We actually rented a car but my ex used it to go watch his horses train (north of Orlando), so that left us at the mercy of the bus schedule, I don't know maybe we just have bad bus karma:confused3

We tried the DDP since it was just a short trip and just the three of us (the
1st time we have ever gone without my DDs bringing friends). We didn't care for it, but I think it is wonderful to have the option. We did not notice being treated any differently by servers than when we paid cash.

I stopped by several DVC kiosks to ask about AKL but I did not get any additional info (that hasn't already been on the DIS). On our last day we ran over to AKL to see if we could see signs of construction and/or speak with the DVC rep there - we didn't see anything out of the ordinary and the rep was not at the desk.

We miss it already, we are such addicts:wave2:
Alice

Glad you had a nice trip, other than the bus issue. But tell us more about your ex! Did you fly down together and he took off with the rental car? It sounds interesting..... Also, my dd is a huuuuge horse nut, competes in Eventing. Do you mind if I ask what kinds of horses your ex has and what kind of training they're doing? Are they TB race horses or more along the lines of hunter/jumpers? And sorry if this is too nosy. :rolleyes1

PS. Love that you are giving each of your girls their own contracts. Great gift!

Glad you had a nice trip, other than the bus issue. But tell us more about your ex! Did you fly down together and he took off with the rental car? It sounds interesting..... Also, my dd is a huuuuge horse nut, competes in Eventing. Do you mind if I ask what kinds of horses your ex has and what kind of training they're doing? Are they TB race horses or more along the lines of hunter/jumpers? And sorry if this is too nosy. :rolleyes1

PS. Love that you are giving each of your girls their own contracts. Great gift!

He rented the car so I guess it's only fair that we let him use it - even though he was completely outnumbered:) I PM'd you the horse info stuff so I don't get busted for being off topic.

Lol - we did have a great relaxing trip, sorry if I gave the impression otherwise.

Glad you had a great trip.

Billpa's comment you quoted cracks me up.:lmao: As if waiting a half hour or longer, watching your vacation blow by at a bus stop is relaxing.:rolleyes:

Your comment about the balconies that Diane quoted also had me confused. Thanks for clearing that up.

Sounds like you had a great trip to SSR.

Glad to hear you had a nice time. We went to SSR in October for the first time, and loved it!! I thought it was really peacfull and very clean feeling. I like the zero entry pool for the kids.

What a great gift to give your DD's. My sons scheduled to graduate in 2026 if you're feeling like you need to continue giving Disney gifts....;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter