Just Back from Royal Pacific!

antmaril

DIS Veteran
I just returned today from two nights at the Wyndham Palms and three nights at the Royal Pacific. We have stayed at the HRH and Portofino Bay in the past.

I loved the RPR! I thought it was beautiful. We had a standard room with two queen beds at the Entertainment Rate of $110 - what a bargain. We were in Room 1533 (Tower 1, 5th Floor). We had a dead center view of the Hulk and Dr. Doom's Fearfall. We watched the fireworks every night from our room. It was very nice. It was not a huge room, but it was fine for the two of us (myself and my 16 year old son).

I could not get any upgrades. I had a postcard for a free suite upgrade, but couldn't use it because I had booked at the Entertainment Rate. An upgrade to a waterview room would have been $35, but they didn't have any with two queen beds. (I wouldn't have done this anyway -- why would I pay $145 for a room I could have booked myself with an Entertainment Rate of $125). I asked about Club Level and was told I would have to pay rack rate for Club Level.

I am Loews Gold and received a very nice bottle of Chardonnay. My teenage son did receive the teen gift, which was a small beach bag, water bottle and some goodies.

I would definitely stay at the RPR again. The pool area was great. The resort was easy to navigate (unlike Portofino Bay - my husband was lost the whole time we were there last year.)

If you are looking for a luxurious room, I would stay at Portofino. However, I thought Royal Pacific was a great overall experience.

We had dinner last night at Tschoup Chop - Fabulous!!

We had a great time. Thank goodness for FOTL. It was HOT, HUMID AND VERY CROWDED!!!

For example, the regular line last night for Shrek in 4D was two hours - we were in in about 10 minutes!!!

If anyone has any questions, I will try to answer.

Thanks for a great report! :D I'm new to the boards and I really enjoy reading these! I have a few questions (which I posed to someone else on their report - they have not answered yet. They stayed at RPR as well). I have booked the E Rate ($110) for our 1st trip to US/IOA for Aug. 4 - 8. Sounds like you had an incredible view - I should probably request this Tower/Floor!! :D

- CHECK IN / LOEW'S GIFT: How was check in? Did you use the Loew's check in line? Did you receive the Loew's welcome gift easily or did you have to call repeatedly??

- HOUSEKEEPING: Did you have good housekeeping service?? I have read that the housekeeping is very spotty at these resorts and it really surprises me everytime I read a bad situation. There is no excuse for dirty towels/glasses, etc. left in a room cleared for check in.

- PRICES: Overall, what did you think of the prices for dining at the RPR and parks?? Did you eat anywhere (besides Tchoup Choup) that was memorable - even just counter service?

- POOL: Was the pool crowded after lunch - comfortable or miserable?? It is a large pool and I have two small children - my DS 6 just learned to swim this summer, so I have to keep a close eye on him. My DD 3 will be in a swimsuit with built in float pieces.

Thanks so much for your time and kindness in answering my questions!! Any other information you can pass along is appreciated - I need all the advice possible!

Loews First Check-in was fine. However, the people in front of me had some problem checking in (something to do with hotelkingdom.com and one night free) and it took a little while for me to be waited on. It was kind of funny because my cousin was also checking in. She is not a Loews First member and had to wait in the regular line - she was waited on before I was. We had a laugh about that.

My wine was waiting in the room when I got there. I did not have to ask twice.

The room was in good shape except for a couple of stains on the carpeting. My cousin had an air conditioning problem in her room the second day and they came right away to fix it.

I forgot to mention in my earlier post that all of the employees were extremely helpful and friendly. The bellmen always said hello when we walked by them. The concierge staff was very helpful and I found the checkin staff to be quite friendly, as well. I was very impressed with the staff.

My son and I also ate at Jake's All American Bar in the RPR one night for a quick bite. He had a burger and I had soup. Very good and about $20 with tax and tip.

We also ate at the Hard Rock Cafe. Food was excellent and this dinner was about $30 with tax and tip - no alcohol.

I don't recall seeing the pool overly crowded. We actually went to the pool later in the evening - it was open until 11:00 p.m. The pool is quite large and there is a zero entry, which was great for little ones.

The kids seemed to be enjoying the pool very much.

I can recommend the RPR very highly. I am picky about hotels and I really liked this one.

How many people can sleep in the room??? We are a family of 5 so was wondering if the room can sleep that many.

Thanks for the info, Antmaril!!

I noticed that you mentioned you had stayed at the HRH and the PBH previously. I was wondering how you thought the RPR compared to the other Universal resorts? We're staying there in November and I'm hoping its the right choice for our family (I think it is, but want to be sure).

Thanks!

BobO: The rooms have either a king or two queen sized beds and, therefore, will not accommodate 5 (unless you get a rollaway, which I'm sure they charge for). However, if you do get a rollaway, it will be quite tight with 5 people.

Nicolep91: The next time we go, I think we will stay at the RPR again. I really enjoyed it and loved the tropical feel of the place. Like I said in my earlier post, if you are looking for a luxurious room, go with Portofino Bay. Otherwise, I would try RPR. It's my new favorite.

I would rank them: RPR
PBH
HRH

Thanks for the info antmaril!!!! Being tight in the room isnt that big of a deal as im a park commando and spend little time in the room. How big are they as compared to Portifino if you know??? I found there rooms to be very large.

BobO:

I think a Deluxe Room at Portofino is approximately 500 square feet, while a standard room at Royal Pacific is about 335. It is quite a bit of difference. However, some of the difference is in the bathroom. If you've stayed in a deluxe room at Portofino, you know the bathroom is quite large.

I just want to mention that I don't think they will allow you stay in a standard room at RPR with 5 people unless you get the rollaway.

Thanks, antmaril!!

That's just what I wanted to hear! :D

Can't wait for November!

Thanks for the information! We stayed at HRH the last time down and we really enjoyed it. I would like to try RPH just to try something different.

How does the walk to the parks compare (between HRH & RPH)? How about the pool?

You do still get front of the line access with your hotel key (card), don't you? Do me this is the best thing ever dreamed up by anybody!!!

You could see the fireworks from your room!! I think that is great! What room number did you have? Did you request that, or just luck out? How do you think I could arrange to get that?

Thanks again,
Jackie

BobO........ actually they WILL let you stay at the RPR with 5 people in a room........ without getting a rollaway, which is $25.00 a night. It states on many websites that the rooms sleep 5. I have 5 in my fam. and we are staying, the little one is 3, so , I'm bringing a twin air mattress for him, or one of my other boys. I've read on here also that someone brought a queen air mattress and used it, and they had plenty of room........they were 5 also. I don't think you'll have any problems if you go this route and your party of 5 is not all adults. If you choose not to get a rollaway or bring your own......... yeah, you may have problems!!! Good Luck:smooth:

Bob O

I stayed at the RPR this past July 2 - 7. There were only four of us but we did get a rollaway because my son and daughter did not want to sleep in the same bed. It was $25 a night. The rollaway fit nicely up against the window so it wasn't in the way. We had to move a chair from that area though. Even though there was only four of us staying in the room I found it to be a bit cramped. But if you are not spending much time in the room then it shouldn't be a problem. I guess I got spoilded when I was upgraded to a suite a the HRH last time.

Jackie:

The walk from RPR to parks was about 10 minutes or so. It is, of course, a longer walk than from HRH (which is the closest hotel to the parks). It is a pleasant walk along a very nicely landscaped path. Not a big deal, even in the heat!

I lucked out on the room view (Room #1533). However, I told the clerk I didn't want to look at the parking lot and I also mentioned that I would prefer Tower 1. She was very nice and we were very happy with this room.

YES, we had FOTL with our room key. That is the best perk ever!! It was very hot and crowded - it would have been intolerable without that room key!!

Have fun!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter