Just back from VB and first stay at OKW.

SnowWitch

DIS Veteran
VB
We checked in to our two bedroom around 4:20pm, the room was ready and check-in was painless with a new CM Annette checking us in. This was our 6th stay at VB and have always had building 15 but on this trip we were assigned building 12. We had rooms 1228 and 1229 with a nice view of the ocean. We could not see the beach from our rooms but could easily see the ocean. The rooms were fine with the exception of a few little things like an annoying bulb about to blow that flickered in the boys studio, the washing machine would howl occassionally on the spin cycle, and the trash deposal sounded like the previous occupants might have fed it something they shouldn't have.

All in all the room was in good shape. Housekeeping was friendly and very helpful always offering extra items and inquiring if we needed anything.

We ate off-site the whole trip so I have no input on dining at the resort. Favorites this trip were Capt. Hiriams and the Lobster Shanty. I am afraid to say one of our favorites from the past five years was dissappointing, the "Patio". We went for the Sunday brunch it was well....not very good and thats being polite. We tried again for dinner and the steaks were tough and dry so its on our probably won't return list.

Activities
My boys are 15 and 12 they both love sports and on previous trips found the offerings at the resort pretty good. Not so much this trip, there were few activities geared towards their age group. I noticed from our balcony on the 2 nights the campfire didn't get rained out alot of teens going to the campfire and then leaving very quickly. Two seperate nights my boys ventured to it only to return and report it was little kids and parents. I wish they would gear one for the teen age group.

Ocean
Very rough with lots of nice waves which are great for the older kids who are strong swimmers. My boys did enjoy the ocean and great waves while boogie boarding.

All in all great trip at VB and look forward to next summers stay.

OKW
We stayed here over the weekend in a studio just to get a feel for the place. We checked in around 6:30pm and recieved our room assignment in building 25 which was very convient for the kids to run to the pool. Great pool and slide! The staff was very friendly here and we will probably stay here for a longer vacation in the future.

I'm glad you had a nice vacation.

Our trip to VB in just a bit will be the first that we'll have a child with us, 10 who likes to swim, so I hope the activities are a hit with her.

As adults, we were disappointed with the campfire, it does say families, but really, it's for the children, and that's fine. I do enjoy watching a campfire, or a fire in the fireplace, so no wonder WL is my special place!

Bobbi :flower:

Sounds like you had fun.

We just ate at Capt. Hiram's last night and it was yummy, as usual.

Where else did you eat?

Glad you had a good time. :sunny:

Thanks for the report, but sorry to hear about the Patio. That has always been one of our favorites, as well. We planned on eating there while we're down for Labor Day.

Glad you had a good time. I'm sure you will be very happy when you stay longer at OKW. We stayed there last year and I fell in love with the place. The CMs there, to me, were wonderful and always went above and beyond. Once I'm done with my goal of staying at all the resorts on WDW property, I'll definitly be staying at OKW again. (Or maybe sooner! :rotfl: )

Beth we were pretty sad to have had 2 poor experiences within 10 days at the Patio. We have always really thought the quality was way beyond the price but just not so this trip. We didn't let the brunch discourage us but after the poor dinner, I actually wanted to ask if they had new management or owners. We were happy to have discovered the Lobster Shanty and Capt Hiriams is always one that we hit multiple times during a trip.

A little hint. In the phone book in the rooms alot of places list a menu with prices. I noticed some that had prices in the phone book but had not had prices on the menus in the lobby.

Thanks, SnowWitch!

We're taking our parents, and Captain Hiram's is one of their favorites - so we'll probably hit that one!

But I have to have my banana pancakes at Shutters at least once while we're there, too. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter