Just Back From VWL

gppnj

<a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/" targ
Hi, all.

I just got back from VWL. I was in a two-bedroom unit for seven nights. I've been a DVC member since July 2005 (I can't believe it's almost two years already), and all my points are at VWL. However, for various reasons, this trip was my first stay at VWL. (I did stay at the hotel part of Wilderness Lodge back in about 1995.)

I bought my points at VWL because I knew I loved Wilderness Lodge. At the time I became a DVC member, I hadn't seen the villas. However, I went there and looked around when I went to WDW in February 2006. I was very impressed with how nice and how intensely themed the villas building was.

So the only thing I had left to do was see the inside of a unit. I must say that based on the photos I had seen, I wasn't all that impressed. (But that wasn't enough of an issue to keep me from buying at VWL.) I expected to be underwhelmed, but when I entered my villa, I was blown away. The rooms had seemed very sparse and stark in the photos, but in person it was very warm and cozy - just like everythign else at VWL. I loved the decor. I loved the layout. This made me happier than ever that I bought at VWL.

I was in room 2535. It had two balconies. It faced the woods, but I could make out a little bit of the lake through the trees. I can't believe what a wonderful place VWL is. I don't need to stay there every time (I know, for example, that I'll want to try the new Animal Kingdom villas), but it's so comforting to know that if I'm not able to switch, VWL - my favorite - is where I'll wind up.

So glad you enjoyed it! VWL is a beautiful place. Your Sept. trip sounds great, VB and VWL, very relaxing!

So glad you had a great trip.....

I just bought DVC at WLV in Jan....
After staying at the lodge.....I fell in love:love:

I am also not staying at WL for my 1st 2 trips....
Just the way it worked out last minute...

We just came back from 1 week at SSR....I liked it...
Going to bcv in aug before free dining...

But I cant wait to go home to the lodge....
Kerri

It's kind of funny how owning makes you look at things differently. I love the fire they have going in the two-sided fireplace in the villas lobby and the Spike Room. However, I did look and it and ask myself, I wonder how much it's costing me to keep that thing burning all the time? :)

Quote"However, I did look and it and ask myself, I wonder how much it's costing me to keep that thing burning all the time? "

:lmao:
Kerri

Did you happen notice if the new smoking area near the quiet pool would affect swimmers and/or others using the rear villa exit?

My DW and I were lucky enough to get upgraded to a 1 bedroom in the VWL and I have to say that that I thought the room was real nice. The king size bed, great big bathroom, nice little kitchen and a great view. The lobby area was also very warm and living room feeling. Sitting by the fireplace reading a book was a great place to take break from the activities.

Did you happen notice if the new smoking area near the quiet pool would affect swimmers and/or others using the rear villa exit?

I didn't. There was a smoker in my party. However, I think he always went to the smoking area next to the arcade. I don't think he knew about the other one.

However, he said that he was talking with other guests in the smoking area, and they were saying that the new no-smoking-on-the-balconies policy is being enforced very strictly. A woman he spoke to had smoked on the balcony and was fined $500.

Glad to hear that you had a nice time. We are staying for the first time in January in a two bedroom. Any suggestions about things to bring, etc. would be appreciated. Was your room a lockout or a dedicated 2 bedroom?

So the only thing I had left to do was see the inside of a unit. I must say that based on the photos I had seen, I wasn't all that impressed. (But that wasn't enough of an issue to keep me from buying at VWL.) I expected to be underwhelmed, but when I entered my villa, I was blown away. The rooms had seemed very sparse and stark in the photos, but in person it was very warm and cozy - just like everythign else at VWL. I loved the decor.

I spent some of our time last week at VWL being perplexed about how none of the room decor is appealing to my eye or my taste but I felt like I was "home". Bizarre. Won't question because I always knew I would love it.

Also, for people who want the lake view. We were set up for the lake side but while we were waiting for our room took a look at the front side and realized how much light there was b/c the trees are far back. We, well I mean my partner b/c I was proclaiming, "you can't change your requests at this point...it's not right", inquired and they said there was a studio available right then.

So don't worry if you don't get the lake side. The front is very relaxing with a lot of light. And as with all WDW resorts they go out of their way to "cover" the outside world (buses, electrical). I didn't search out the infamous dumpsters though!;)

we find the decor soothing:cloud9:

i've heard rumours about 2 bedroom units;) ; still happy with a plain old studio to stretch our points...someday:wizard:

glad you enjoyed your trip.

Lovley :) So pleased you enjoyed your stay. Posts like this make me happy that we chose VWL for our home resort.

Glad you enjoyed your new home, sounds so nice that you've convinced me to try it. Hope you owners don't mind me borrowing one of your units sometime. Already have Aug and Oct. booked at SSR and Jan at AKV, we going to try for VB in April or May but I"ll find a time to squeeze VWL in there. Want to eventually try all the resorts. If only work did'nt get in the way!!!

However, he said that he was talking with other guests in the smoking area, and they were saying that the new no-smoking-on-the-balconies policy is being enforced very strictly. A woman he spoke to had smoked on the balcony and was fined $500.

Now this is good news! I'm so glad to see they are ENFORCING the rule. I don't quite understand having rules if they are not enforced.

I'm glad you had a great trip to VWL, it is one of our favorites as well.

Mike

I expected to be underwhelmed, but when I entered my villa, I was blown away. The rooms had seemed very sparse and stark in the photos, but in person it was very warm and cozy - just like everythign else at VWL. I loved the decor. I loved the layout. This made me happier than ever that I bought at VWL.

Very happy to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your first visit to your home resort. Actually, I'm happy to hear that about anybody at any resort but I think that VWL has a little more chance to be "not my cup of tea" than many of the other resorts because of the decor and theming.

You now can wear that Groupies tag proudly with full knowledge that your "worst case" vacation is at our beloved VWL! :)

Glad to hear that you had a nice time. We are staying for the first time in January in a two bedroom. Any suggestions about things to bring, etc. would be appreciated. Was your room a lockout or a dedicated 2 bedroom?

I had a dedicated two bedroom. This was very important to me. I traveled with two friends. Based just on numbers, we could have gotten by on a studio. However, we're three guys (two of us on the larger side), so I didn't want any of us to have to share a bed or sleep on a pullout. Therefore, a dedicated two-bedroom was the smallest unit that had three beds. Even though my reservation did say dedicated two bedroom, I was nervous that I'd get a lockout, which only has two beds, not three. That would have made me very unhappy, as I would have spent all those points and still not gotten what I wanted. But it all worked out perfectly.

The room was very well equipped. There's really nothing to bring other than any food or beverages you might want. We shipped down a box beforehand with alchohol, cereal, laundry detergent, and a few other miscellaneous items.

Enjoy your trip.

Stayed there last year and enjoyed it there.Still love BWV more.

We just got back yesterday from 5 nights in a 2BR dedicated. First time at VWL, and we LOVED it! It was myself and DH, DS, DIL and their 2 boys ages 5 & 7. We lucked out and got a corner room very close to the elevator (3528). The way a corner room is laid out makes it very quiet and private. The 2 boys loved sleeping on the pullout in the main room, and I think their parents enjoyed that too! ;) View was a wooded area, towards the bus stop. The room had new bedspreads, and as we were leaving housekeeping was bringing around new toasters.
Oh, and LOVE those new toiletries!

Welcome back! VWL was our first DVC resort to try (which was fitting as WL was our first Disney resort). We love the place! The first time I stayed there, I found it to be too quiet, but have learned that quiet is actually appreciated after long days at the parks. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter