Just back (Oct 12 - 17) - reviews of F & W festival, afternoon tea ...

bajanswife

DIS Veteran
Background: 4 women in our mid-30s (all friends from school days), not into fast food, reasonably but not overly adventurous with food.

Oct 12: we stayed at AKL for 1 night (great savanna view - we woke up to giraffes, zebras and some sort of horned animal whose name I cannot remember), and had the buffet at Boma for dinner. It was pretty good! I'm not the most adventurous of eaters, but there was plenty I liked. The chicken and corn soup was amazing, and they had fried plantain which I love! The prime rib was also very yummy - I had some of the medium to well done outer edge, and it was tender and great! We had a nice Chardonnay - unoaked, which made it light and very yummy to drink! The desserts were divine! I think the buffet was worth the $$. The service was very good too.

Oct 13: breakfast was nothing special - just a quick bite at Mara. Seemed we paid a lot for our ordinary breakfast though.

Oct 13: AK - lunch at Flame Tree - nothing special, just the BBQ chicken salad. It was pretty good though - I enjoyed it.

Oct 13: dinner at TGI Fridays at Crossroads on our way to Altamonte Springs (north of Orlando) where we stayed with a friend. It was the usual Fridays fare - good but not special.

We did breakfast at our friend's home from this point onwards.

Oct 14: tea at Garden View Lounge, Grand Floridian Hotel - very nice! The sandwiches were yummy, the tarts were great and the pastries heavenly! A friend had strawberries and cream, and they were very sweet, juicy and delicious! All of us loved our tea selections, and it was nice to have it brewed from leaves instead of tea bags (I'm usually too lazy to do leaves, although I have them in my house!). The atmosphere was very refined and relaxing - but that didn't stop us from being silly when we felt like it! Our server was a little strange, but we just found her funny, not annoying. I think we loved everything about this tea!

Oct 14: dinner at Cosmic Ray's at MNSSHP - I had a salad with chicken - I honestly cannot remember what the salad was though! I know it was fine - not outstanding, but just fine - hit the spot.

Oct 15: F & W booths for lunch and dinner. We had mixed reviews here. My friends found that when they looked at some of the food samples, they were really tiny, and not worth the $ in their view. I wasn't really looking at the prices - I was eating what sounded good. The lamb chop in New Zealand was supposed to be great, but I found it tough and hard to eat. Many of the foods were too cool (they were supposed to be served hot). The choclate creme brulee and the apple strudel were great! My friend got the lemon chicken at Morocco and loved it - and it was a really good sized portion of chicken on yellow rice for $2.75 - good value we thought. The Australian beef was good. The gyro in Greece was OK- not the best I've ever had. The chicken quesadilla in Mexico was OK - nothing special, but nice enough. The cheddar cheese soup in Canada was great as promised! The ham and cheese crepe in France was OK - my friends liked it, but I thought it wasn't served hot enough. Still, the taste was nice - a hint of something like nutmeg in the creamy sauce. I sampled about 4 wines - didn't keep track of what they were, but I liked them. The ice wine (Inniskillen) was too sweet for my taste though. I tried a strawberry margarita in Mexico at the outdoor stand and it wasn't as good as some I've had before - I was a little disappointed. I wanted to sample more, but my friends didn't, and they spent all their time in the shops! I ended up getting dragged around more than I wanted, although I did keep running off to booths and meeting up with them further along. I enjoyed the concept of sampling, but I'm sure it worked out more expensive than if I'd had lunch and dinner at moderate places. Still, it was fun to do once.

Oct 16: we were done with Disney, and ate at food courts etc. while shopping. Belz Factory Outlet mall #1: we all had chicken caesar wraps at a Cuban place, and while they were disorganized and it took a while, and they had to substitute iceberg for romaine, the wraps were actually great (although a bit messy to eat)!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter