Just booked our second Disney cruise...

We just did the same thing! Cruised in April on the Fantasy, Western CB, loved it, bought the placeholder, and came home... it was like... mere days before we booked the next cruise. Again on the Fantasy, but EC this time. I haven't done the EC itinerary before, but we loved the Fantasy. It just felt like a second home to us.

We just got off the Dream on May 4th and reserved a placeholder! Well today we booked our second Disney cruise! We will be on the Fantasy in September 2024! We had such a good time on the Dream that we just knew we had to do another one!!!

Any thoughts on the Fantasy? Tortola? St. Thomas?
Fantasy is my favourite and St Thomas and Tortola are BEAUTIFUL!

We just got off the Dream on May 4th and reserved a placeholder! Well today we booked our second Disney cruise! We will be on the Fantasy in September 2024! We had such a good time on the Dream that we just knew we had to do another one!!!

The Fantasy is my favorite ship! I've done this itinerary before and doing it again this November. Tortola is my favorite Eastern Caribbean port (of St. Thomas, Tortola, St. Maarten, and San Juan).

The Fantasy will be fairly similar to the Dream in many ways, so it should feel 'familiar' to you.

One word of caution about cruising in September: that is hurricane season (which is part of why prices are so good, lol). More than likely it won't affect you at all, but as a newer cruiser just wanted to set expectations. Chances are very low that your cruise would be canceled, chances are a bit higher that you might not make a port or the itinerary could be switched. And seas could be a little rougher than May if a storm recently passed through.

Again, not trying to scare you, just setting expectations. Plenty of September cruises go off without a hitch, and if something does need to be adjusted DCL will do their best.

Going on the Fantasy on Sep 2 - your itinerary. The Virgin Islands are beautiful.

We will do the Baths and take the Disney excursion over to St John (basically they get us to Trunk Bay and back, so we don’t have to worry about taxis and ferry schedules. The Baths excursion often sells out, but can be a DIY trip. St Thomas has several beaches that can be done on your own using safari taxis.

The catamaran sail to St John (Honeymoon Beach) is a nice option if you can do the ladder back onto the boat.

Jost Van Dyke trip from Tortola is very popular. You can also stay nearby and go to Cane Garden Beach.

There are some other options; these are ones I think if for this cruise. And, of course, a peaceful day at Castaway Cay.

I have only done the Fantasy on its Maiden Voyage (2012), most recent Dream cruise for me was Sep 2021. Since they are sister ships, I think of them similarly. Mainly decor differences - and always heard there were vibration issues in the back. Supposedly corrected. I love the carpet in the Fantasy Atrium.

I have only done the Fantasy on its Maiden Voyage (2012)
Curious to know what you think.

Fantasy is our favorite and getting back on it in October, where we will visit Tortola for the first time (so I'll let you know).

Love St. Thomas, we went there on our Honeymoon in 2011 and then twice on the Fantasy. Lots to do on your own or in a group depending on what you are interested in doing. I think this time we're going to do an "off-road" half day Jeep tour focused on hitting some good photo sites. My Dad's SO is a fantastic photographer (and not much of a swimmer) so I want to try to do something she'll enjoy one of the days.

On Tortola, we've booked with Aristocat Day Sails to do one of their tours.

Curious to know what you think.

Fantasy is our favorite and getting back on it in October, where we will visit Tortola for the first time (so I'll let you know).

Love St. Thomas, we went there on our Honeymoon in 2011 and then twice on the Fantasy. Lots to do on your own or in a group depending on what you are interested in doing. I think this time we're going to do an "off-road" half day Jeep tour focused on hitting some good photo sites. My Dad's SO is a fantastic photographer (and not much of a swimmer) so I want to try to do something she'll enjoy one of the days.

On Tortola, we've booked with Aristocat Day Sails to do one of their tours.
The blur that was lots of trips in 2012 just leaves vague impressions and a few photos. The positive stand-outs are the Atrium - large, open; its sweeping staircase (at the time, I think Magic and Wonder still had the two small staircases). The beautiful peacock carpet. I love the tile work mural in Cabanas (I think that is on both Dream and Fantasy). The tile murals in the bathrooms of the adult entertainment area are fantastic. Actually, anywhere there was tile murals is a plus on these ships.

The rooms start off wrong with a narrow space between the closet and bathroom. Could I have been fatter? Or is it actually smaller? I am fairly sure the cabins got smaller. I have never stayed in an inside cabin with the Magic Porthole; which is rather usual for my choice of category. Thirteen years on, I wonder if they have pixel issues.

I wasn’t a fan of Enchanted Garden (felt like a school cafeteria. But other cruises - these on the Dream - with different tables were fine. The changing of the lighting and the idea of representing Versailles were lost on me.

I really like Animator’s Palate - the layout, some more color on the walls, Nemo and Friends moving from screen to screen - all appeal to me.

Buena Vista Theater seemed roomier, the seat layout a little more curved and better.

Walt Disney Tgeater was not an improvement. The rows seem closer or chairs too narrow. There us less foot room, so I am scrunched up. Just not comfortable. I don’t remember the shows. But those are personal opinion; the quality of any of them is fairly constant - and good.

I am not a fan of the adult entertainment district; I am sure others love it. But it is not an essential part of my cruise, so maybe it’s the events less than the setting.

My only dining at Remy was on the MVoyage. I am still curious how we got reservations on that packed Cruise. We also had dinner at Palo - watched Bob Iger and other bigwigs walk past us to the private dining room (I also use the private dining room, on occasion - with Disboard groups 🙂).

The biggest drawback that sticks in my mind is that weird layout with the Aft elevators. It feels a little wrong and creepy to get step off for the pool deck and have to walk - usually no one else around - through an empty Cabanas. Like a scene from a horror movie.

Last edited:
If you booked far aft, move your cabin. The vibration issues are notorious. St. Thomas is not my favorite port. I'd get the ferry and go to Trunk Bay on St. John. Do the underwater snorkel trail. On Tortola, do to the Baths.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter