Just got back from first Fort trip - it was soooooo awesome!

The lunch prices at TE look reasonable - if the food is similar to dinner then that would be a good deal. Especially since it's right there at FW - get off the boat, have lunch, go take a nap! :thumbsup2
It is extra special with the little one - I'll never forget it! :cloud9:

Maybe we'll take another look at lunch. We don't do a lot of TS b/c we don't know how DS5 is going to handle the situation. Every now and then we do a Character dining which he really does enjoy! Those are definitely worth it.

Let's pick up where I left off yesterday...

All of a sudden DH says "Oh my gosh - look at that!"

I look up, and we can see the fireworks just over the trees!!! WHAT?? I've never heard of this before!!!

Now, obviously we can't hear the music and can't see the lower level fireworks, but we had a lovely fireworks show RIGHT THERE from our picnic table AT OUR CABIN. Are you kidding???

We saw stars and Mickey heads and all the big ones - it was awesome! :cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

It's like they knew it was my last night and wanted to make sure I got some fireworks for my birthday... pixiedust:pixiedust:

I only wish that I had gotten some pictures. But, the camera was in the cabin and I wasn't going to waste time going to get it. All these pictures will just have to be in my head... :cloud9:

So, that's my grand finale, folks. Hope you liked it! I sure did! :woohoo:

We got up the next morning and packed up and headed home. :mad:

I will have a follow up post coming with some *bonus* pictures and our post-Disney breakdown.

Awesome surprise! I've been able to see them from various loops, but had no idea you could see them in the cabin loops!

Mickey may not have child proofed his house, but he still managed to sprinkle a little pixie dust! Glad your last night was soooooo magical. BTW, Happy Birthday!

Looking forward to those bonus pics!

I panicked because I thought I'd have to wait to hear about the fun on the last night - the girls and I are off to the beach with my folks for a week and I don't know if I'll have internet access!

I am so excited for you! Fireworks with hubby on the porch (with a beer) on your birthday! That is sooo wonderful!

Congrats to you - mom award- to leave the restaurant because it upset DD! IT stinks that you didn't enjoy your bday dinner so much, but it sounds like fireworks made up for it!

It sounds like you had a terrific time wandering around WS!

Looking forward to the recap!
Deb

Great new posts to your TR!

That is neat that you could see the fireworks from the 2100 cabin loop.

I have seen them from the 2000 loop and the 800 loop (and others), but I wasn't sure you could see them from 2100.

In your first post, you said that you think you have convinced your DH to buy a pop-up. I hope you do. We started out as cabin people, and then we bought our pop-up camper almost 11 years ago, when my DD's were 8, 4 and 4. They have grown up camping at FW. I hope your DD gets to do the same.

TCD

Mickey may not have child proofed his house, but he still managed to sprinkle a little pixie dust! Glad your last night was soooooo magical. BTW, Happy Birthday!

Looking forward to those bonus pics!

Thanks! Hopefully I get the pics up today - plus we gotta have a "debriefing" of the trip!

I panicked because I thought I'd have to wait to hear about the fun on the last night - the girls and I are off to the beach with my folks for a week and I don't know if I'll have internet access!

I am so excited for you! Fireworks with hubby on the porch (with a beer) on your birthday! That is sooo wonderful!

Congrats to you - mom award- to leave the restaurant because it upset DD! IT stinks that you didn't enjoy your bday dinner so much, but it sounds like fireworks made up for it!

It sounds like you had a terrific time wandering around WS!

Looking forward to the recap!
Deb

Glad you got to read it before you left! I hope you have fun with your fam at the beach - school will be starting again before you know it (I start back today :scared1:) I'll get the recap going this afternoon, I hope!

Great new posts to your TR!

That is neat that you could see the fireworks from the 2100 cabin loop.

I have seen them from the 2000 loop and the 800 loop (and others), but I wasn't sure you could see them from 2100.

In your first post, you said that you think you have convinced your DH to buy a pop-up. I hope you do. We started out as cabin people, and then we bought our pop-up camper almost 11 years ago, when my DD's were 8, 4 and 4. They have grown up camping at FW. I hope your DD gets to do the same.

TCD

What was really weird about it was that we didn't see them every night - but could hear them. We only saw them that one night.

Yes - I had DH convinced - now he's on the fence again - I'm pulling him back in, though. City boy. :laughing: More on that during the "debriefing" to come soon...

Hey everyone - I had to go back to work today, so didn't get much time on the boards!

Here are some random pics that you can browse through...

Checking out the playground

Picture033-1.jpg

Walking around the Meadows...

Picture034.jpg

DD checkin' out one of my info cards - I think this was DHS

Picture225-1.jpg

More random pics... I'll be quiet now.

Picture239-1.jpg

Picture241-1.jpg

Picture240-1.jpg

Picture247-1.jpg

Picture257-1.jpg

Picture400.jpg

Picture421-1.jpg

Picture422-1.jpg

Picture423-1.jpg

Picture425-1.jpg

Picture426-1.jpg

Picture434-1.jpg

I promise, I rotated those pics of the signs! Let's see how long it takes Photobucket to catch up! ;)

Hopefully, tomorrow we can start the "review" of the trip - what we would do again, what we would do differently, dining plan thoughts, and more fun conversation. Hijackers welcome. :) But please, no hippies. :hippie:

On our way home that Sunday, we did what everyone does - we rehashed the whole trip!

Here's a short summary of what we came up with:

What we are SO glad we did:

1. Brought drinks/fruit to the parks every day. This was vital in the heat, and saved us a lot of $$ on juice and water.
2. Rented a golf cart for our Fort only day. Definitely made the day more special!
3. Took a break midday to relax and "try" to take a nap.
4. Skipping the DDP - we probably spent about the same amount on food, but we weren't obligated to anything.

What pleasantly surprised us:

1. Transportation - the Disney busses and the boat to MK were GREAT!!! Never waited long, and when you're waiting/riding there are always nice folks to talk to.
2. Crystal Palace character lunch - I mean, it got a whole post all to itself! A
3. TE pizza take out - great price, great pizza
4. Seeing fireworks from our cabin!

What disappointed us:

1. There was a LOT of construction going on around Fantasyland. Felt like it made the crowds worse because of traffic flow - also, they didn't disguise it well. We would have totally missed the Winnie the Pooh ride if we hadn't been looking for it.
2. Trails End - like I said, it was good, but not great

What we will do differently next time:

1. Spend more time at the Fort! Top priority!
2. Rent a golf cart for our entire stay - this mainly hinges on the fact that we will be spending more time at the Fort - plus we could have our own drinks when we get off the boat. We also want to go looping.
3. Plan DHS trip MUCH differently. When we get there, I would get an entertainment guide and then on a piece of paper kind of sketch out the time there to make sure nothing overlaps and you don't have too much lag time. Tough park to plan.
4. Would NEVER have driven to MK - boat is SO much better/easier/faster!

That's about our feelings about the trip.

On the way home, DH said he thought next time we should plan a week. Three days in the parks and two days at the Fort. Alternating: park, FW, park, FW, park. I think that sounds STELLAR! We were pretty tired that last morning getting up.

I've been trying to sell DH on getting an RV for quite some time. I want to camp. I seriously doubt he would tent camp. :sad2: He did agree that when DD gets out of college and we retire, that we should get an MH. That's a jump, huh?

In the meantime, I think we should get something we can take DD all over the place in! Here are DH's reservations:

1. Cost vs. usage - as long as we are working (particularly him - I'm off a lot, being a teacher) he doesn't think we'll use it enough to make the cost "worth it".
2. Storage - our neighborhood has a strict HOA - we would have to pay to store anything
3. Towing - we really don't have a desire to own a truck or BIG SUV, and he doesn't think we should buy one just for towing

You have to understand - he grew up in a really rough neighborhood in a really rough part of town outside of a major city. I won't go into details, but his childhood was built on locking the doors and knowing how to fight. :eek:

Fortunately, he has turned out to be an upstanding person, but you can see how this "camping thing" can be foreign to him. The idea is "unsafe" to him.

BUT, DH really loves outdoors - he likes fishing and being outdoors and getting dirty and helping DD pick up sticks. I think if I got him out camping that he would LOVE it!

So - I told him we needed a popup because:

1. Cost: we can save up and pay cash for one OR pay one off really quickly. Then we can use it as long as we want and never worry that we "should be" using it more.
2. Storage: Umm hello??! Garage...
3. Towing - we could easily find a popup that we can tow with an SUV that we are interested in already - like a Pilot or an Acadia

And DH says "You know, that's a good thought. We can do that!":banana:
He was really impressed with the Fort and all the different types of camping setups we saw. He even said that when we get the cart next year that we should go looping to get ideas!!:cloud9:

It's a start! Wish me luck! :woohoo:

On our way home that Sunday, we did what everyone does - we rehashed the whole trip!

What we are SO glad we did:

1. Brought drinks/fruit to the parks every day. This was vital in the heat, and saved us a lot of $$ on juice and water.
2. Rented a golf cart for our Fort only day. Definitely made the day more special!
3. Took a break midday to relax and "try" to take a nap.
4. Skipping the DDP - we probably spent about the same amount on food, but we weren't obligated to anything.

What pleasantly surprised us:

1. Transportation - the Disney busses and the boat to MK were GREAT!!! Never waited long, and when you're waiting/riding there are always nice folks to talk to.
2. Crystal Palace character lunch - I mean, it got a whole post all to itself! A
3. TE pizza take out - great price, great pizza
4. Seeing fireworks from our cabin!

What disappointed us:

1. There was a LOT of construction going on around Fantasyland. Felt like it made the crowds worse because of traffic flow - also, they didn't disguise it well. We would have totally missed the Winnie the Pooh ride if we hadn't been looking for it.
2. Trails End - like I said, it was good, but not great

1. Spend more time at the Fort! Top priority!
2. Rent a golf cart for our entire stay - this mainly hinges on the fact that we will be spending more time at the Fort - plus we could have our own drinks when we get off the boat. We also want to go looping.
3. Plan DHS trip MUCH differently. When we get there, I would get an entertainment guide and then on a piece of paper kind of sketch out the time there to make sure nothing overlaps and you don't have too much lag time. Tough park to plan.
4. Would NEVER have driven to MK - boat is SO much better/easier/faster!

That's about our feelings about the trip.

On the way home, DH said he thought next time we should plan a week. Three days in the parks and two days at the Fort. Alternating: park, FW, park, FW, park. I think that sounds STELLAR! We were pretty tired that last morning getting up.

That sounds pretty much how we feel about things.

Well, except for the Pizza at TE. We thought it was Ok, but not great. It did get us full without me having to do the cooking, so in that respect I was a bigger fan than DH. Besides, the price was right.

I would love to spend less days in the parks next time and spend at least half of our trip at the Fort just taking in the atmosphere and enjoying the CG activities. I'd really like to try the archery! DS7 would probably enjoy some of the activities for kids too. More Fort time for sure!

And that's coming from someone who did spend a lot of time in the Fort. ;)

Great news about DH coming around to a pop up. You'll enjoy it so much! Another benefit is being able to stay even longer w/the money saved by renting a site instead of a cabin. (Although the cabins are very nice.)

Good luck on finding the very one that will suit your needs. Enjoyed the TR!

I also found Studios hard to manage. It takes a "minimum" of two visits.

One morning concentrate 100% on continuous loading rides, the next morning concentrate on scheduled shows.

If you ever want to know how the "real" campers do it I suggest spending time in the 1500 and 2000 loops. The tenters and pop up'ers really know how to set up a working camp. Heck, I've even seen some great clotheslines over there.

If you go forward with this plan I suggest the Acadia as it has some weight to it and the pop up won't be driving you. Craigslist is a great place to find a used pop up unless you want new.

Great report and I agree with DHS touring plan. Since we're regulars I tend to do only certain attractions but they designed it poorly IMO because you have to criss cross so much. That said though, there's some cool rides there and some of the easiest counter services in all of Disney.

Just wanted to say I REALLY enjoyed your TR. I started it last week, and then was off the boards for 5 days and just went back and caught up.

First off, I totally agree on TE. It's convenient, the food is "ok", and I like the ambience of sitting on the porch waiting for a table. BUT, it is way too expensive for dinner, especially for our family of 6. So we stopped going there several trips ago and just get the Giddyap N Go and sit on the porch to eat it. 1/4 the cost, and leftovers to boot!

Second, if you have an interest in a popup you should go for it, IMO. Especially if you buy used, it is not a terribly expensive way to investigate the lifestyle, as you would likely be able to re-sell it if it didn't work out for you. Popups seem to hold their value well (relative to other types of RVs) if they are in good condition. We have been a camping family since my girls were toddlers, and I hope we will be camping for a long time to come. We just got back from a non-camping road trip where we did the hotel thing....and UGH! It's just not for me. I like my own bed!

Anyway, thanks for sharing your trip with us.

One morning concentrate 100% on continuous loading rides, the next morning concentrate on scheduled shows.

Oh, speak of the devil. One of the real campers has shown up.:rotfl:

If you ever want ideas on setup's this is the go to person.

I'm glad someone else agrees about DHS. They have the shows overlapping and far apart so it does make for a lot of walking.

I've been trying to sell DH on getting an RV for quite some time. I want to camp. I seriously doubt he would tent camp. :sad2: He did agree that when DD gets out of college and we retire, that we should get an MH. That's a jump, huh?

In the meantime, I think we should get something we can take DD all over the place in! Here are DH's reservations:

1. Cost vs. usage - as long as we are working (particularly him - I'm off a lot, being a teacher) he doesn't think we'll use it enough to make the cost "worth it".
2. Storage - our neighborhood has a strict HOA - we would have to pay to store anything
3. Towing - we really don't have a desire to own a truck or BIG SUV, and he doesn't think we should buy one just for towing

You have to understand - he grew up in a really rough neighborhood in a really rough part of town outside of a major city. I won't go into details, but his childhood was built on locking the doors and knowing how to fight. :eek:

Fortunately, he has turned out to be an upstanding person, but you can see how this "camping thing" can be foreign to him. The idea is "unsafe" to him.

BUT, DH really loves outdoors - he likes fishing and being outdoors and getting dirty and helping DD pick up sticks. I think if I got him out camping that he would LOVE it!

So - I told him we needed a popup because:

1. Cost: we can save up and pay cash for one OR pay one off really quickly. Then we can use it as long as we want and never worry that we "should be" using it more.
2. Storage: Umm hello??! Garage...
3. Towing - we could easily find a popup that we can tow with an SUV that we are interested in already - like a Pilot or an Acadia

And DH says "You know, that's a good thought. We can do that!":banana:
He was really impressed with the Fort and all the different types of camping setups we saw. He even said that when we get the cart next year that we should go looping to get ideas!!:cloud9:

It's a start! Wish me luck! :woohoo:

First....Loved your report. I found myself looking forward to it each day.
As for the Popup, I think your family would really enjoy it- especially starting at the age your DD is. We got our first popup about that time and it was great. We found there were so many places we could go and still take the popup- saved us a fortune on hotel cost. The space inside is perfect for a family of your size. Your DD would have her own bed (that was a plus for our DS- before we had DD, then they had to share). Just my two cents, but I know how much we enjoyed ours. When our kids got older, we moved up to TT and now looking at a fifthwheel (maybe someday). Again...enjoyed your report.

Thanks for the great TR. I really enjoyed reading it. It is always so sad when they are done. :( Good luck on the popup!

Next time, check this website before you leave:

http://pages.prodigy.net/stevesoares/index.htm

He posts entertainment/show schedules about a week in advance so you can have that info BEFORE you get there. Also, when you check in, there should be some times guides for all the parks at the concierge desk. I always try to remember to pick up all the times guides for each park on my first day, then I can outline plans if necessary to make sure we see all the shows we need to see.

Great trip report. Sounds like you have a lot of wonderful years ahead of you with that little girl. Even if you don't get a popup, a cabin at the Fort will be good for you every year, right?? :thumbsup2

Great news about DH coming around to a pop up. You'll enjoy it so much! Another benefit is being able to stay even longer w/the money saved by renting a site instead of a cabin. (Although the cabins are very nice.)

Good luck on finding the very one that will suit your needs. Enjoyed the TR!

I've been thinking about the cabin vs. popup cost and we will definitely save a bunch! Don't get me wrong, I looooove the cabins! But, when it's $270 a night during value season... ouch! Thankfully, we got the 40% off savings for this trip! If we don't get it next trip, I'm not sure how we'll manage to stay at the Fort. But, I'll be honest, I really don't have any desire to stay anywhere else now! :) I'm glad you enjoyed the TR!

I'm glad I'm not the only one! :) And I think it doesn't help that it's the only park that is set up that way.

If you ever want to know how the "real" campers do it I suggest spending time in the 1500 and 2000 loops. The tenters and pop up'ers really know how to set up a working camp. Heck, I've even seen some great clotheslines over there.

If you go forward with this plan I suggest the Acadia as it has some weight to it and the pop up won't be driving you. Craigslist is a great place to find a used pop up unless you want new.

Great report and I agree with DHS touring plan. Since we're regulars I tend to do only certain attractions but they designed it poorly IMO because you have to criss cross so much. That said though, there's some cool rides there and some of the easiest counter services in all of Disney.

I'm glad you liked my report! First one - I was worried no one would show up... I was thinking the Acadia, too. I haven't done a lot of towing research on specific vehicles yet, but I'm guessing it will have a greater towing capacity too. I love driving a Honda, but they are not known for their power. :sad2: There are several big RV dealerships not far from here - one big CampingWorld one too. I don't know if we'll buy used or new. :confused3 I guess we'll cross that bridge when we get closer to buying.

Just wanted to say I REALLY enjoyed your TR. I started it last week, and then was off the boards for 5 days and just went back and caught up.

First off, I totally agree on TE. So we stopped going there several trips ago and just get the Giddyap N Go and sit on the porch to eat it. 1/4 the cost, and leftovers to boot!

Second, if you have an interest in a popup you should go for it, IMO. Especially if you buy used, it is not a terribly expensive way to investigate the lifestyle, as you would likely be able to re-sell it if it didn't work out for you. Popups seem to hold their value well (relative to other types of RVs) if they are in good condition. We have been a camping family since my girls were toddlers, and I hope we will be camping for a long time to come./QUOTE]

Glad to see you! I really debated between eating at TE and getting the Giddyap. I think we'll have to do that first night next time so we'll have time to enjoy the leftovers! And, since we'll be there longer, hopefully use some of it to help catch some fish! :thumbsup2

I'm glad you said that about the popup - I was thinking the same thing - not too much invested, but enough that we could get something fun! I can't wait to get out there. In the meantime, I am checking out State Parks and Nat'l Parks around here that have the "rustic" cabins you can rent out. :yay:

First....Loved your report. I found myself looking forward to it each day.
As for the Popup, I think your family would really enjoy it- especially starting at the age your DD is. We got our first popup about that time and it was great. We found there were so many places we could go and still take the popup- saved us a fortune on hotel cost. The space inside is perfect for a family of your size. Your DD would have her own bed (that was a plus for our DS- before we had DD, then they had to share). Just my two cents, but I know how much we enjoyed ours. When our kids got older, we moved up to TT and now looking at a fifthwheel (maybe someday). Again...enjoyed your report.

Glad you liked the report! I get addicted to TR's too!
I like the idea of saving on hotels - and also being able to go wherever and take our own bed!

Thanks for the great TR. I really enjoyed reading it. It is always so sad when they are done. :( Good luck on the popup!

Thanks for joining in! I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Next time, check this website before you leave:

http://pages.prodigy.net/stevesoares/index.htm

He posts entertainment/show schedules about a week in advance so you can have that info BEFORE you get there. Also, when you check in, there should be some times guides for all the parks at the concierge desk. I always try to remember to pick up all the times guides for each park on my first day, then I can outline plans if necessary to make sure we see all the shows we need to see.

Great trip report. Sounds like you have a lot of wonderful years ahead of you with that little girl. Even if you don't get a popup, a cabin at the Fort will be good for you every year, right?? :thumbsup2

Thanks for the info! That will be very helpful! I'm glad you liked the report.
YES - a cabin will be awesome for us until we get something to camp in! I really did love it there! :woohoo:

I know...I am month behind...hehe.

Loved your report! You accomplished a lot in a short time without rushing! Kuddos! I am helping my friend plan their first trip. Her daughter is 3-1/2. I have to remember to take it slowly in my planning for them.

Yes - with a little one, rushing is not an option! :thumbsup2
Tell her to definitely take a mid-day break. I think that was key to our no-meltdown trip! Also, we kept lots of CapriSun and fruit cups in the little cooler under the stroller.

I can't wait to do it again! :cheer2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter