Just got off amazing first cruise back for the Wonder happy to answer questions

Did you get off the boat in Cabo? Do an excursion?

How smooth was the testing before boarding?

Did you drive and park nearby?

We had kids under 12 which required an excursion for them to leave the boat. We did the Chileno Bay Snorkeling and loved it. They require everyone to stay in the bubble if you do a Disney excursion all the way back to the ship. I had to tender back to the ship with the excursion group and check in then I did tender back so I could do some shopping on my own. That is a new rule and strictly enforced. If you were vaccinated you could just leave on your own but if you were on a Disney excursion no leaving the group from the time you left the ship until you returned or you’d be denied boarding because of the bubble they were creating to allow kids to be on the excursion. It wasn’t a huge deal but a minor annoyance. I only wanted to shop for Mexican Vanilla right by the port which I found some good quality stuff for a decent price easily enough.

Testing before boarding was easy enough. We had two cabins and they took each cabin to their own booth. We had to admin the test to our kids while they watched. They are doing NAAT tests in San Diego at least now and they take like 15 min to process. They were regularly collecting samples but they didn’t necessarily keep groups together. We had one person we knew who had most of their family clear but their sample didn’t get processed until the next batch. They seemed to post new lists of cleared reservations on their big screen every 15 minutes and you could also refresh the safe passage app to see. Our two cabins cleared 15 min apart which added some stress but in the end we only waited like 45 minutes for test results. I’d plan for potentially longer we had one of the first port arrival times so they were just getting going when we arrived.

We did drive and parked in the BRIC North garage right across the street from the port. We spent the night at the SpringHill Suites above the garage the night before. We had to move the car to check out of our hotel parking and then check in for the cruise parking we had reserved in advance for a discount. With the hotel you use your room key and have in and out but with the cruise you don’t get in and out and the website warns the pricing is invalid for hotel guests so I just tapped my key card out in the morning and reentered the garage to avoid any issues. I would recommend reserving in advance because they did fill up online reservations after we got ours. I heard others complain. There are a couple other garages across the street though. It was an easy walk even with luggage.

Character interactions were less formal and I liked that. They did list events like Disney Pals Wave and Greet in the navigator and then they’d have a couple characters on deck 4 overlooking the atrium and you could walk up and interact with them or take a selfie. They had a rope to keep you from getting too close. I liked them there was rarely more than one family ahead of us, never felt rushed and they seemed to spend more time playing and interacting then in the past. Almost anytime we had a couple extra minutes and were close by we stopped by deck 4 and saw a character or two. They’d also wave to people below or across from them if there was no one waiting close. We saw Mickey just walking around Deck 10 waving to the kids in the pool and below on deck 9. The princesses sat on the grand staircase in the atrium and you could talk to them from below or take a picture and have a real conversation.They also had them on the deck 4 balcony overlooking the atrium and they would wave and interact with you. I felt we had more fun interactions then in the past even if they were more distanced. They also had Mickey and Friends come and do a dance show/parade through the tables in Tritons during dinner that was super fun.

We did the Chileno Bay Snorkeling excursion through Disney and loved it. Wouldn’t be good for a 20 month old but with my youngest being 6 it was great and my kids loved it. They excursion felt very safe and they really created a bubble. In fact if you left the group you wouldn’t be allowed back on. It did mean I had to return with the group before tendering back to do some shopping in port for some Mexican Vanilla my wife wanted.

Thanks! Guess we'll just go with the flow.

We had HOTHS which was really just Mickey’s Mousequarade Party on sea day one. It was on deck and done twice and you had to be assigned a blue dot to stand on with your party to promote social distancing. Lots of people dressed up. Didn’t see any other Halloween activities that day.

Pirate night was on Cabo day. They do have a new pirate dinner show that was brief but fun and then we had the fireworks that night. They were the Happily Ever After at Sea not pirate themed. They had pirate games and trivia that day. Pirate night felt more themed than Halloween night except for all the Halloween decorations which were present and cool!

No idea on the rainforest room, sorry.
Thank you so much. I figured Pirate Night (although extremely modified) would be on the Cabo day. Appreciate you answering all of our questions.

Our boarding time is 11:00. What time do you suggest we be there for testing?
I believe that is your Port Arrival Time (PAT). Your boarding group would be a number, not a time.
Reports are that they are enforcing PAT and there is no benefit to arriving earlier. Arrive for your PAT.

Thank you for all of the info. How did the pools work and how were the kids with the process? Thanks!

I believe that is your Port Arrival Time (PAT). Your boarding group would be a number, not a time.
Reports are that they are enforcing PAT and there is no benefit to arriving earlier. Arrive for your PAT.

I'll second this. We had an 11 am port arrival time and showed up at like 10:45, the walk from our hotel with luggage went faster than I thought. We were told we'd have to wait. We didn't end up waiting the full 15 minutes but we did have to wait. They have limited capacity for the testing and limited waiting space to be tested inside the terminal in San Diego. The testing is the second thing you do. Once they let you through the gate you drop your luggage and then get tested, go through security and then wait for your test results. Once you have cleared with your test results you can check in and go to the boarding area. They had a waiting area for boarding but when we got there it was just time to board so we didn't have to wait. I think that will be pretty common, most of the waiting is for your test results.

Thank you for all of the info. How did the pools work and how were the kids with the process? Thanks!

The water slide was just like normal, wait your turn. For both the pools (Goofy and the smaller one by the splash area) they limited the capacity and you had to wait. They were timing how long a group could be in the pool then they'd blow the whistle and make everyone get out so the group waiting could get in. My kids liked it because the pool wasn't as crowded. They didn't have to wait too long either. They didn't seem to be limiting the splash area and my kids like that area by the water slide and smaller pool. So they tended to play in the pool and then when their turn was up use the splash area and water slide. I had no trouble finding a lounger and hanging out on deck. So overall it really wasn't a big issue.

Hi! We just booked our first cruise the 4 night to Cabo out of SD on the Wonder. We have a 3 year old. Did you say under 12 can’t get off the boat without booking a Disney excursion? We wanted to just hop off with her briefly but maybe that’s not possible? Thanks.

Thanks! Yes, see that now. Guess we will just enjoy our time on the boat since all the port adventures seem to be booked.

Thanks! Yes, see that now. Guess we will just enjoy our time on the boat since all the port adventures seem to be booked.

I would definitely keep an eye on the app and you can also ask the Port Adventures team once you board. We saw adventures come and go. I think Disney is still working to figure out which companies can meet the health protocols and capacity etc. I know having a 3 year old also complicates it as not all adventures work for younger kids. If you want one though I'd definitely see if they can help you onboard.

That being said there is plenty to do onboard and the views from where the Wonder anchors in Cabo are pretty cool!

I'll second this. We had an 11 am port arrival time and showed up at like 10:45, the walk from our hotel with luggage went faster than I thought. We were told we'd have to wait. We didn't end up waiting the full 15 minutes but we did have to wait. They have limited capacity for the testing and limited waiting space to be tested inside the terminal in San Diego. The testing is the second thing you do. Once they let you through the gate you drop your luggage and then get tested, go through security and then wait for your test results. Once you have cleared with your test results you can check in and go to the boarding area. They had a waiting area for boarding but when we got there it was just time to board so we didn't have to wait. I think that will be pretty common, most of the waiting is for your test results.

Thanks for all the wonderfully detailed info! I'm feeling way less anxious now! :)

Hii!! I have a 2yr old that LOVES Halloween so we were hoping to take her on this cruise this month! However, I’m still feeling uncertain with the whole COVID pandemic and her not being vaccinated and with toddlers just wanted to touch and feel everything!…just wanted to see if I can get your thoughts being on the cruise recently and how safe you felt having kids yourself. How did you feel the overall sanitation of the ship was, how frequent was it, how often was social distancing and masks enforced, how crowded the dining and activity areas were, etc. Any inputs on this would be greatly appreciated!

Hii!! I have a 2yr old that LOVES Halloween so we were hoping to take her on this cruise this month! However, I’m still feeling uncertain with the whole COVID pandemic and her not being vaccinated and with toddlers just wanted to touch and feel everything!…just wanted to see if I can get your thoughts being on the cruise recently and how safe you felt having kids yourself. How did you feel the overall sanitation of the ship was, how frequent was it, how often was social distancing and masks enforced, how crowded the dining and activity areas were, etc. Any inputs on this would be greatly appreciated!

Happy to share my thoughts with the caveat I think this is a personal topic for everyone so there is no right or wrong in my book. Happy to walk you through my thought process though. I will start by saying I'm a life long germaphobe and a bit anxiety prone so the last 18 months has been interesting. I love to travel though and honestly being on the cruise was one of the most normal feeling things I've done in a long time. We personally felt very safe being in an environment where everyone who could be was vaccinated and recently tested. I was impressed with Disney's level of sanitation and cleaning on my first cruise pre pandemic and they haven't gone backwards. Hand sanitizer was everywhere and cast members ensured you washed or sanitized your hands (depending on the location) before entering restaurants, handing you drinks at the beverage station, handing you an ice cream cone at the soft serve station etc. I never saw any issues with mask wearing where cast members had to be involved. I may have just missed them but everyone seemed to be complying with Disney's requirements. For those details I recommend reviewing their website. I saw a few people myself included forget as they transitioned from out on deck to an indoor space or from their cabin to common areas and have to say oops where is my mask but that was the main thing I personally observed.

From a social distancing perspective I felt bad for the cast members that had to enforce people standing on their blue dots during the outdoor Mickey's Masquerade Party or the fireworks. Everyone was supposed to find a blue dot and ask a cast member if needed. That way everyone was distanced out on deck. Unfortunately some just tried to fill in where they saw a hole but there was no blue dot and I watched cast members have to redirect people. I don't think that was a fun job for them so please follow the rules there. They were happy to help people find a spot.

In terms of overall crowds it felt very comfortable on our sailing but I know that will vary from person to person and sailing to sailing. The tables at dinner were very much socially distanced. They had tables in other areas marked off like on deck where the deck food is, in the lounges etc to promote distancing. There were some crowds here and there like when people lined up for a show (seating inside was distanced) or the first night when they were all waiting to get into the shops (the shops were fine after the first night). The pool deck was busy at times but they had loungers spaced and I posted above how the pools worked. You could always walk to a different spot on the deck or up higher and find space to yourself if you wanted it.

In the end I personally felt safe as did my wife and we were totally comfortable having our kids with us but again this is one of those personal decisions so I'll leave it there.

What does anyone recommend for WiFi? AT&T cruise packages are worthless like barely any mb and the last cruise we went on we bought the WiFi on the cruise but still got charged enormously from our carrier. Any tips how to handle getting and using WiFi on the ship?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter