Just heard bunks are not guaranteed at AKL?!

WDW2000

DIS Veteran<br><font color=FF6600>The TF is an equ
There are 5 of us staying in one room this month at AKL. (3 adults and 2 teens) I just read on these boards that rooms with bunks are not guaranteed and very hard to get. Wouldn't you think that if they are going to charge you extra $$ for 5 guests that bunks should be guaranteed? Has anyone booked a room w/bunks and then not able to get one or know what the policy is for 5 guests sharing 1 room? Do I need to be concerned? THey can't expect 3 grown adults to share a bed?

23 more days to go!!!!!!!!!!!:bounce:

I think you've exceeded the room capacity of four (not counting very young children). Also a third adult gets an extra charge.

How were you planning to sleep if you got the bunk beds?

Do you have a deluxe room booked? That holds 5, right? The standard rooms only hold 4 people.

Bunk bed (deluxe) rooms have the bunks, a queen bed & a day bed. Other deluxe rooms have 2 queens & a daybed, so you're in a similar situation no matter which room you get -- one person will have to sleep on the daybed. I haven't seen them myself, but I'm sure others have & can tell you how large or small they are.

Here are the floor plans:
http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/waltdisneyworld/resorts/rooms/roomgroupingindex?id=AKLRoomGrping

sorry i can't figure out how to paste them in here!

Originally posted by WDW2000
There are 5 of us staying in one room this month at AKL. (3 adults and 2 teens) I just read on these boards that rooms with bunks are not guaranteed and very hard to get. Wouldn't you think that if they are going to charge you extra $$ for 5 guests that bunks should be guaranteed? Has anyone booked a room w/bunks and then not able to get one or know what the policy is for 5 guests sharing 1 room? Do I need to be concerned? THey can't expect 3 grown adults to share a bed?

23 more days to go!!!!!!!!!!!:bounce:

Hi WDW2000,

They are not charging you extra because you have 5 guests in a room they are charging you extra for the third adult in the room. If you had two adults and three "children" under the age of 18yrs then you would not be charged extra for the fifth person per night.

The deluxe rooms that sleep five at the AKL I believe have two queens and a day bed or 1 king, the bunk beds and a day bed. Day bed being defined as a pull out.

When you booked your room did you request the bunk beds? Just wondering if you just booked a deluxe room or if you booked a deluxe room and specificly requested the bunk beds. If you did request the bunk beds at the time of your reservation they should have told you that it would just be considered a request and might not be granted and then they should have explained the room set up to you if not getting the bunk beds would be an issue.

I hope everything works out for you and I hope you have a great trip no matter what type of beds you end up with.

Originally posted by DancingBear
I think you've exceeded the room capacity of four (not counting very young children). Also a third adult gets an extra charge.

How were you planning to sleep if you got the bunk beds?

Hi DancingBear,

I am assumig the original poster booked a deluxe room at the AKL as those are the only rooms that sleep five. You are correct about the extra charge beeing for the third adult in the room and not just have 5 people in the room. If the fifth person was under 18yrs then there would be no additonal charge.

You are not guaranteed a bunkbed. Even the deluxe rooms at AKL aren't that big.

Originally posted by gepetto
You are not guaranteed a bunkbed. Even the deluxe rooms at AKL aren't that big.

The deluxe rooms at the AKL are 380sqft. The same size as the rooms at the YC,BC and BWI. All of the rooms at these resorts sleep five with a two queen bed and a day bed configuration.

I just booked AKL for May of 2003. I booked a standard savannah room. I also requested a room with 1 queen and the bunk beds.

CM told me that the bunks were not guaranteed, but told me that I could have them in a standard savannah room.

We requested bunkbeds for two different stays. We ended up without them both times. It was disappointing for only a few minutes. The AKL is so great; we were thrilled with our stays there.

Yes, we do have the Deluxe room booked and had requested bunk beds at time of booking. I didn't realize they also included a day bed - that makes a big difference. (no need to panic)

Does the day bed pull out like a sleeper sofa? If we don't get the bunks I'll have to sleep on the day bed. 6'1" - will that be a problem?

The daybeds at AKL are not pull-outs. There is a couch in the room and the back of the couch folds down flat (you pull it forward), revealing the mattress. They are a standard size single bed so you should have no trouble sleeping there.

I didn't realize that the 2 queens deluxe rooms don't have a daybed. Have you called the resort to see about a rollaway? I hope you are able to get the room you want!!

The deluxe rooms have either a king and daybed, two queens, or a queen/bunk/daybed. Rollaways aren't available. Parties of 5 are guarenteed the queen/bunk/daybed option, while other sized parties can request this option, but are not guarenteed it.

We just returned from a bunk bed room at AKL, DS who is 6 foot tall slept on the top bunk with no problem. When we checked in the CM said we were lucky to get a bunk bed room, so I think they may get lots of requests for them.

We were at AKL in April, we had requested 2 standard savannah view rooms (did not request bunk beds). We ended up in 2 connecting deluxe rooms one with two queens, the other had one queen a set of bunks and a day bed. I wasn't sure about the bunks because me kids were 4 and 5 at the time and very active while they slept, but it worked out fine, neither one fell out. The rooms had a wonderful view on the Zebra Trail.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter