Just Returned from 10 days at HRH - Any ???? Please ask

P

pixie dust gal!

We just returned from 10 days at HRH. We stayed on the Club Level floor - close to the lounge. The weather was HOT during the day, but just oooh, so beautiful at night - a light breeze.

We had cabana #10 for our entire stay. We dined at Motown, HRC, NBA City, Margaritaville (my fav), The Palm and PastaMore.

One of the highlights of this year's visit was "Tony and Tina's Wedding". It is a dinner show that is held at the Soulfire Theatre and was it every FUNNY! Laugh, laugh, laugh.

We travelled with our best friends and had a wonderful time!

I will try and post a trip report.

Any questions, please ask.

Debbie:)

Could you tell me what kind of snacks and drinks were offered in the evening on club level? Also, how were the crowds? Did you find it managable with FOTL? We are leaving in two weeks and can't wait!

TL's Mom,

As has been posted before, every night in the lounge is something different. Having stayed there 10 days we had alot of repeat offerings.

The selections at night were: Leonard Skynnard night was wings, Bon Jovi night was italian - meatballs and cold pasta salda, Wang Chung night was spring rolls and cold salads and one night there were mini hot dogs along with giant soft pretzels. All of the above came with crudites, a selection of cheeses, wine, beer, soda and lemonade.

Breakfast included: mini-muffins (choc. chip, raspberry, blueberry, corn and bran), small boxes of cereal, oatmeal, a wide selection of donuts (no more Krispy Kreme-sniff, sniff), bagels and croissants and breads for toasting. The coffee was GREAT! I am a coffee snob, and normally will not drink most coffees - but this coffee was very good! Juices, of course.

The desert hour was blah - oreos, choc. chip, etc. - nothing special.

The crowds were fine - never a problem - could not even call it a crowd!

You will have a wonderful time.............

Debbie

What a great idea to get the cabana for the entire stay. :D We had one for 2 days our last trip and loved it.

Thanks! How nice about the coffee, that makes me very happy. My day must start with a great cup of coffee!!

Debbie, glad you had a good time. We had a great time too at the RP from 7/6-7/11. We walked over to the HR one night from Universal to look around, it's definitely on my list of places to stay next time.

Funny you mentioned the weather, I was just saying to my husband how beautiful the nights are in Fla. No stifling heat like here in NYC where you can't even breath outside sometimes. Now the days are another story! It was very hot when we were there.

Was wondering what you thought of some of the restaurants. I see you listed Margaritaville as your favorite, it was ours too. This year just didn't seem the same. The steak that my husband had so looked forward to having didn't live up to his expectations. Last year it was a bit spicy (that's what he loved about it) and this year he said, it was just a steak. Just curious if they've changed recipes or it was just a bad night for us. Also, and I don't want to gross anybody out here but we sat outside on the Porch and ugh while we were waiting for our check my daughter in law had a palmetto bug crawl up her leg..gross!

I also wonder what you thought of Pastamore. I had made reservations at Mama Dellas due to recommendations from this board. I made them for 9:30 because we were planning on going to Universal that night. Well, I don't know if we were a little late or the boat was but it was 9:50 by the time we got over there and it was too late, they said the kitchen was closed. What a disappointment! We took the boat back and in the mood for italian, went to Pastamore. I didn't care for it at all. Just curious what you thought.

Sorry to go on and on..lol, we had a great time and glad you did too!

Debbie,

The nights were just beautiful there...... I could not get over it. It was so lovely to sit outside by the pool or walk in the parks at night. You are right, it was better than back home! ;)

I love Margaritaville so much. We always get late ressies so we can see the live band. No one at the table had the steak this year - we ordered the cuban meatloaf sandwich, burger in paradise, fajitas, and chicken fingers - DF was disappointed because her fajita was not spicy at all - kind of blah. Everyone else was very happy with their choices.

PastaMore is not GREAT italian food - but ok. The kids all ordered pizza and the other choices were lasagna, fettucine carbonara and spaghetti/meatballs - it was ok - nothing to write home about. The pizza was good, though. I should have chosen that.

I am so sorry Debbie that you missed out on your ressies at PBH - now that is GREAT food. Make sure you do go on your next visit - you won't regret it........

I hope you enjoyed yourself as much as we did!

Debbie

Pixie Dust-

Thanks for you willingness to answer ????'s.

I will be at the HRH with my husband and 10 year old son for my birthday next month. My mom and her husband will be driving up for one night to spend my birthday with me. I have reserved cabana # 5 for the day so we have a place to hang out. Here is my concern. My mom is presently undergoing Chemotherapy and will be doing so for the forseeable future. This leaves her pretty much devoid of energy. I do not think I can convince her to get a wheelchair during her stay. I am worried that all the walking around will be beyond her capabilities. Do you know if cabana #5 is near an exit from the hotel? If not, can you suggest a cabana which is near an exit (a second priorty is in the shade!).

We are having dinner at Tchoup Chop. Again, I am concerned that the walk to the boat launch will be too much for mom. Do you know if the HRH has a LIMO available to get us over to the RPR? (I guess we could get a cab, but I'd like to be stylin' if possible!) As an aside, can you recommend a table for Tchoup Chop?

Any other thoughts you have about getting around the HRH in general would be appreciated. Since we will be there for 6 days, I will likely have other ???'s later, but am most concerned about the mom issues at this time.

This year we are traveling with my elderly mother. I was thinking about requesting a room somewhat near elevators because less walking for her. She will probably sit at the pool most of the day, is there a certain section of the resort that is closer to the pool. We have a standard garden room (hoping for an upgrade). Did you notice if there was much noise near the elevators? We are staying in 2 rooms -I don't even care if the rooms are across from each other and a couple of doors away. An upgrade would be great, but I don't know how easy it is to get one, we are loew members. Did you notice if loews members checked in at a different location. Sorry for all the questions, but we never stayed at this resort before. Thank you.:Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

IGB40 - Happy Birthday! In answer to your cabana question - IMVHO, cabana #6 and #5 on that side of the pool (near the towel hut) are the closest to the rear entrance of the hotel - they also happen to be quite shady too - #5 faces the jacuzzi - it is not on the beach directly, it is situated on concrete, although it is considered to be located on the "beach side". I think it is a good choice. On the "beach club" side (opposite side of the pool) cabana #1 is closest to the bldg. entrance.
Would your mom consider renting an ECV? Those are the electrical carts that people ride on. The reason I say this is because on this trip we just returned from, I had my friend order one because she is just getting over knee surgery and it would have been too much walking for her. They deliver the ECV to the hotel and it sets up in 2 minutes. The seat is an upholstered seat that you find in automobiles - and the speed varies on them from slow (able to ride along those that are walking) to ZIPPY (had to jog to keep up). There were a great many people the parks with them and at the hotel. They fit nicely in the rooms and plug right into the outlet to charge up. The company delivers them to and picks up from the hotel. If I recall, it was actually less expensive than renting it from the park - and those you can only use while in the park - this she can use around the hotel.
The hotel can provide limo service upon request - 24 hrs. in advance-but it is a separate company that they contact and it is expensive as their is a minimum rate of 3 hrs. I would just explain to the concierge and ask how they can assist you and your family in getting over to RPH for dinner - they are always willing to help. If you rent the ECV, then it will not be a problem. If your mom will not be going to the park(s), then I would not rent the ECV and just relax in the cabana for the day and ask concierge about assistance to the RPH or grab a cab.
I hope this helps you and I pray your mom has a speedy recovery and many years of good health to come!

LuvDisney, if I were choosing rooms that were closest to the pool or that rear entrance and I was concerned about walking, I would choose floors 4, 5, or 6 and rooms that start with "0" - for example - we were on floor 7 and our room was 7059. All the rooms that start with the floor number and followed by "0" are closest to the elevators. If you chose a room that was on the ground floor you would still have to walk around either the restaurant or the health club to get to your room/pool - too much walking, IMO. I would rather have the height of the upper floors, with a nice view, and just be a few steps away from the elevator.
As mentioned above, I travelled with someone that had limited mobility, but rented an ECV. She chose not to bring the ECV to the pool everyday and walked - it was not bad at all for her to walk to the elevator from our room (which was just 2 doors down from the elevator), take the elevator to the "pool" floor and out the door.
No separate check-in for Loew's Members.

I hope this helps you all. Have a wonderful time. Any other questions, just ask.;)

thank you so much for that information about the room numbers. I've been trying for a month to get info. This is so very helpful. I would definately like a higher floor room with somekind of view. Did you think club level was worth the money. I'm hoping at check in were are offered it for some kind of minimal fee. We are planning on checking in very early, so we'll have to see what happens. Again, thanks alot:)

LuvsDisney,

The Club Level saved me $400 on the cabana - that was where I saw an obvious difference. DH was the only one that went to the lounge at 5pm - breakfast we all participated in. As I mentioned before, I would rather go to Wal-Mart and purchase a case of water, soda and juice boxes and snacks, rent a fridge for $10 a day. I loved having a bigger room - next time I will make sure I get a larger room and if I can guarantee that on the club floor then, great - if not, then I would prefer to have the bigger room elsewhere. In the evenings I would watch people come in and load up trays or coolers with foods and "haul" it back to their rooms, leaving nothing for the people behind them. I have to admit, in all the places I have travelled, I have never witnessed such behavior on a club floor except at HRH. :rolleyes: In the mornings, I watched people do the exact same thing, while dressed in pajamas or bathrobes - there were adults, actually in their bathrobes sitting drinking coffee and eating breakfast in the lounge:confused: :eek: Not to my liking. I could see kids doing that, but not adults. IMHO.

So, it depends on the motive for the move to club floor. I saved several hundred on the cabana and that was our reason.

Hoped this helped a little.

Debbie

I have never heard anything about "Tony & Tina's Wedding." Is it a play? Where is it? What time's are the showings? How expensive? Suitable for children?
We love plays and broadway productions.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter