Just returned from BCV- wonderful stay!!

disgirl

DIS Veteran
We just returned last evening from a wonderful 6 night stay at the BCV. I am sure someone has reported this already, but when we checked in on Tuesday, Aug. 14 we checked in over at the Villas. They said they are trying that out and just started on the 13th. It was quick and painless. Our room was not ready, however, so we headed to the pool and got into our room around 4 pm. Our studio on the 2nd floor, although a distance from the elevators closest to the marketplace, was very clean and in good working order. We faced the quiet pool and the canal and had a big balcony. It really was too hot to sit out, but we did dry bathing suits on our chairs while there. We then went to Cape May Cafe for dinner at 6:30. We all enjoyed the meal very much. Dh especially liked the steamed clams, beef and the maccaroni. I mention this because the other 2 times we ate there on other trips, DH was never that crazy about the food, but went for DS and myself. We all really enjoyed the food this time.

Weather was clear but very hot (always in the low to mid 90's in the day). We only had a little rain on two occasions while there (total of 10 days, with 3 at the Poly).:) SAB was very nice. We went in the pool at some point every day or night. It was open until 10 pm. every night, including the slide. On our last night there, Sun the 19th it stayed open until 11:30.:confused3, but a very nice treat. The pool was heated while the main pool at the Poly was not.: There were many people at SAB, but that pool is so large that you never feel too crowded. My DS enjoyed the slide as always and DH and I enjoyed the "lazy river" section as always. It was too hot for us to go in the whirlpools, however, occasionally I saw a couple of people in there. Beaches and Cream was good. We had fast service and only had to wait about 30 minutes during busy dinner hours. Hurricane Hannahs was always busy during lunch hour, but we eventulally got a table within 5-10 minutes and enjoyed about three meals there for lunch on the DDP. All the CMs we encountered were very nice and informative!! When we arrived and on one other day we saw Lilo and Stitch in the lobby playing games with the kids. I thought that was a nice addition.

Well that is all I can think of for now, if anyone has any questions, feel free to ask and I will try to help!! All in all, we all enjoyed our stay at the BCV very much and DS(14) missed SAB and the atmosphere of the Y/BC and pool area while we were at the Poly.;) The Poly seemed to have more little children there. DH and I enjoyed both resorts very much and feel each have their own special points!!:)

:wave: What a great vacation you had!:goodvibes

I laugh about your DH and Cape May Cafe. I love the seafood and the cornbread there. DH was never particularly pleased to eat there, but at some point, he began to relax and enjoy it too...that was a very happy day in my life!:goodvibes

Bobbi:goodvibes

We just stayed at BCV for the first time August 11th and checked in at the Villas too. The CM's said they were testing it out and they sure better like each other since the desk is so small. We saw Lilo and Stitch in the lobby 2 days in a row, so I guess that's something they are now doing regularly. The kids in my group played follow the leader with L&S and learned the hula. I'm really hooked on BCV now and hope to book there again (if only to get the Kitchen Sink again!) I'm glad to read the clam bake was good. I really want to try it sometime.

Great report :thumbsup2 Glad to hear things went so well. We check in Sept 1 for 6 nights. I only pray that the heat will break even just a little before then!!

That's funny. When we checked in at BCV on the 6th, they said that the 6th was the first day there were checking in over there. Hmmmm. me thinks a CM is very confused.

WE checked in on the 5th at the desk so who knows when it started. It will be nice if they keep it to avoid some of the traffic. Glad to here you had a great trip.

That is funny about the different start dates for the new checkin at the BCV. :confused3 I think it is a positive change and will perhaps cut down on lines at the main desks in the future.

Mean Queen I am glad you had a great stay there too!

Zalansky: I sure do hope the heat breaks a little for you. That was the one thing that was difficult for me to deal with this trip and we have been there in the summer months many times. Maybe as I am getting older, it is effecting me more and more. I don't know, but it sure was too HOT for little OLD me by 1:00 every day!!;) DH feels the heat a lot too but he was a better sport about it this time then I was. I am sure you will have a great time. If it still is real hot, just enjoy time at SAB and have fun!! :)

Disgirl - we live in Tampa so I know how bad its been. :sad2: The temps are setting new records....I used to think it was my aging too! LOL.
I have already figured we'll do parks in the mornings and evenings and the days will be spent at SAB. :thumbsup2

Sorry Zalansky, I did not even notice you were from Florida so you def. know what the temperatures have been like. Parks in the am. and pm. and SAB during the days sounds like a great plan! Have fun!! :)

Glad to hear you had a great time!

Where exactly is the checkin desk for the Villas? I'm trying to picture where they would put that, unless they took over the Concierge desk.

Glad to hear you had a great time!

Where exactly is the checkin desk for the Villas? I'm trying to picture where they would put that, unless they took over the Concierge desk.

Apparently it's the little DVC desk in the rotunda. Just to the left as you walk in the main automatic door, between the Drawing Room and the Breezeway. I think it will be quite convenient and I hope they continue it.

As far as checking in, who directed you there? Did you try and check in at the main BC desk and they told you to go over to the villas? Just curious.

As far as checking in, who directed you there? Did you try and check in at the main BC desk and they told you to go over to the villas? Just curious.

For us, we were at the valet and the bellhop helping us with our luggage asked if we were at the Villas. Then he told us where to go for check-in rather than the regular area. When I was in the lobby, there were people greeting people coming in that would let them know if they were staying at the Villas they were free to check in there or go over to the Villas for a shorter wait.

Glad you had a nice vacation! BCV & VWL are next on our list of resorts we want to stay at. I love the BCV's, we went over during our stay at BWV and it just has a great vibe to it. Cape May Cafe put on a great Character Breakfast that our daughter loved, and the food was quite good. Hoping to get to the BCV's soon.

At this point, if we were ever to add on it would be a toss up between the BCV's & VWL. They are very different from each other, but for some reason, those are the two that stand out to me and my wife.

We too just returned last night. We were there Aug. 19-24 in a 2 bedroom. We had a great location, close to the front of the resort, yet right near the Villa lobby area. We too were a little confused about the checkin and thought it strange that the CM came to us in the drawing room to check us in. All went well and like every trip, our room was not ready until 4:00PM. We were a group of 8 + infant and was indeed shocked at the size of the 2 bedroom after leaving OKW. WOW, about half the size. It's funny that some loved OKW, while others love BCV. Lilo and stitch seemed to be hanging around the resort daily. This was our first time at BCV and OKW. We did venture to the Summer on the Savanna on the last day.

How were the crowds in the parks? We have been wondering if they get a little smaller towards the end of August since a lot of the southern schools are back in session?

Once our daughter is of school age, we are going to have to plan around the calendar and hoped their might be a few spots where crowds are a bit lighter.

Yes, we too were told by the bell hop as we pulled up to the resort that they were now checking in over at the villas. keys2kingdom is exactly right it was the little DVC desk at the entrance to the villas. It was very convenient and quick atleast when we checked in.:)

eporter66: This was our third trip in August and we do feel the end of August is a bit lighter with crowds. However, a couple of days after we left starts the free dining to the public who booked by June something, paying rack room rates. I would imagine rest. are packed this week!! While we were there I understand they did have some free dining for those who booked on their last trip and the rest. were crowded. In fact, we tried to change 2 dining res. while there and could not. We wanted to change from Maya Grill to Cape May on a Sat. but they had nothing and we wanted to change our 5:30 Ohana on a Monday(20th) to a later time and could not.

As far as the parks, we took advantage of single rider lines in MGM and Epcot because our son is almost 15 and we have all been on many rides together so we did not mind. Sometimes 2 out of the 3 of us would end up in the same car any way which was nice!! The single rider wait times usually were 5-10 minutes only. Let me just note that we never did arrive at any parks before rope drop and the only park we arrived before 9:20 was AK and we went straight to Expedition Everest, got fast passes and stood on standbyline which was only about 10 minutes. If you truly get to the parks at rope drop, at the end of August, I think the wait times are minimal for the first 2 hours or so. We saw many 20-40 minute standby wait times and did stand on a one or two 20-30 minute waits together. The more popular rides did seem to have about 40 minute wait times by 11:00 am. Using fast passes does help! I do think if you need to go to WDW in the summer, the end of August is a good time because some schools start and many sport teams start practices and tryouts around the 20th. However, this year the heat and humidity were bothersome to me especially by 1:00 every day, I had had enough sweating!! LOL!;) The temperatures were usually between 92-97 every day with high humidity, of course. We usually returned to the resort pool around 2-3 pm and were refreshed though. Nights were better, of course. Hope this helps.

Happy planning everyone!! :)

As far as the parks, we took advantage of single rider lines in MGM and Epcot because our son is almost 15 and we have all been on many rides together so we did not mind. Sometimes 2 out of the 3 of us would end up in the same car any way which was nice!! The single rider wait times usually were 5-10 minutes only. Let me just note that we never did arrive at any parks before rope drop and the only park we arrived before 9:20 was AK and we went straight to Expedition Everest, got fast passes and stood on standbyline which was only about 10 minutes. If you truly get to the parks at rope drop, at the end of August, I think the wait times are minimal for the first 2 hours or so. We saw many 20-40 minute standby wait times and did stand on a one or two 20-30 minute waits together. The more popular rides did seem to have about 40 minute wait times by 11:00 am. Using fast passes does help! I do think if you need to go to WDW in the summer, the end of August is a good time because some schools start and many sport teams start practices and tryouts around the 20th. However, this year the heat and humidity were bothersome to me especially by 1:00 every day, I had had enough sweating!! LOL!;) The temperatures were usually between 92-97 every day with high humidity, of course. We usually returned to the resort pool around 2-3 pm and were refreshed though. Nights were better, of course. Hope this helps.

Happy planning everyone!! :)

Thanks for the info! We have a few more fall trips before it will be difficult to take her out of school. Next year we are going to use the 11 month window to book a trip in early december so we can see WDW all decorated for Christmas.

We also plan on using DVC for us without our daughter. I am going to plan a golf outing with some friends, and my wife will probably run the half marathon again in another year or so.

So - we will still get to enjoy some off season WDW, just not like we do now.

Thanks

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter