Just returned from Boardwalk Grand Villa

tinkfan

DIS Veteran
We returned Sunday from 8 nights in a Grand Villa at the Boardwalk.
We ended up with with the 2 story version on the 5th floor. I had never seen one of these and I would have preferred the one level version.
We did encounter some serious issues here , but they were eventually taken care of.
I love the location and atmosphere of the Boardwalk and we are glad we finally got to try a GV here, but think we will stick with the Grand Villas at OKW. We had a great view of Illuminations and the MK fireworks in the distance, however the balcony was very narrow with just enough room to sit. One of the bedrooms upstairs had a small balcony also, but not the Master.

Happy to answer any questions!

How serious were your issues? We are scheduled for the BWV this Saturday. Any heads up before we arrive? :confused:

Do you own at both OKW and BWV, so that you book GV's at 11 months?

We're planning a celebration for next June, and that darn BWV GV costs so many points, especially since we've decided we will have a Friday night stay.

How many were in your party...adults/children? Were you pleased with beds?

Just how long did you have to contend with the serious issues? Were the issues deemed serious by the management, or did you have to argue to get things done for you?

Is the balcony issue the main reason you will go with OKW?

Bobbi

I am also curious of what the major issues were....We are going at X-mas with my whole family and would like to be prepared....

What do you consider to be "serious issues" and how were they resolved?

We booked in Oct for Memorial day week, which was about 8 mos. out. We had enough BWV points to book Sun-Thur, but waited until the 7 mos window to add the weekend nights with OKW & HH points. We are a family of 4, 2 teens, one of each sex. We usually get a 2 bedroom so they each have their own bed. On a whim when booking I asked if the GV was available since we had wanted to stay in one since joining in 1996. We had the points due to a cancelled trip last summer and had banked points, so we decided to splurge. We figured by May we would have some family/friends join us or let the kids bring friends.

Due to several unexpected events, the main one being my daughter getting Mono and being very ill most of the spring, it ended up just being the 4 of us. We thought the extra space would be nice since our plan was to relax and enjoy the week at a slow pace. When we booked airfare , it worked better for us to fly in on Sat. so I booked a 1 bdrm for that night. A week before we left the GV became available so we added on that night so we wouldn't have to move and could just settle in for our stay.

Onto the problems... We arrived about 4:30 Sat afternoon and checkin went great. We were assigned 5037. I was hoping it was the one level on that floor, but we passed it on our way to our room. Our luggage arrived quickly and my daughter took the first room upstairs. It had a little private balcony and a balcony that opened up to to living area downstairs. She kicked off her shoes to start unpacking and immediately came down to tell us that the carpet was wet. We went up to look and we could see that it was wet in the hallway and the entire vanity area in front of the bathroom was wet. Not just damp from like a carpet cleaning, but squishy wet.

I called housekeeping and they came in about 15 mins. The guy asked where the problem was and we said upstairs in the first bedroom and he immediately said " oh thats because that bathroom overflowed last night " He said all he could do was put large fans up there to dry it and it would probably take all night. We weren't crazy about that so we said no thanks we'll see if there are any other options. I went down to the front desk and asked to speak to a manager. The CM there asked what the problem was and went to the back.She said there is no other room to put us in which I was expecting since there are so few GVs and that a housekeeping manager was coming up to speak with me. Soon Jan, a very friendly mgr. came and when I explained the problem she said she would have to come look at it to see what they can do. She asked if we would like to go out to dinner while they took care of it. I politely explained that our plans were to go grocery shopping for the week and settle in the room for the night. She and another housekeeping manager, Debbie, arrived at the room and were both completely surprised at how the room was ever cleared for check-in. They said they didn't want to hold us up any longer because its now been over an hour and 1/2 dealing with this. Jan said that she had our room credited with $100 for dining to use anytime. Debbie said she would have someone bring up a large floor mat to cover the vanity area so it could be used for the night and to call when we left the next day for them to come pull up the carpet and dry it out. I explained that our plan was to sleep in and didn't know when we would get moving and that we are not park commandoes and wouldn't be out all day. She said it would only take a couple of hours.
So while we were out they did come put down a very large door mat.

I called Sunday around 10:30 when we left for MGM. We returned around 2pm planning to relax and go to the pool. When we walked into the room, which is a vaulted 2 story , we could hear fans blowing and there was a very sickening smell. It was a deodarizer or disinfectant of some kind. It was very overwhemling and nausiating. There was a fan blowing over the vanity area and the carpet was almost dry but the smell was unbearable. I went down to the front desk while the rest headed to the gym because they couldn't stay there. I actually got the same CM that I had last night and she was familiar with the situation. She called housekeeping to let them know what was going on. I asked to also speak to a resort manager. I spoke with Jackie. She was great. I explained all that had happened and she called and spoke with Jan, the housekeeping manager. She said Jan was going up to check on the room. I told her I was just upset that we were ever put in that room in the first place. Someone knew what had gone on there. She agreed and said unfortunately there was not another GV to put us in. I understood ,but just wished they had said when we checked in that there was a problem and could we stay in another room for one night while they fixed it. It cost 118 points for that night and we couldn't stand to be in the room. She offered us a dining credit. I said that Jan had already done that. She said she would give us another one. I said thanks, but I wasn't really wanting anything just to be able to use the room we paid for and that hopefully someone could find out why it was ever given to us so it didn't happen to anyone else. She then said you are right, I am going to email member services and have them credit you the nights points. I was so surprised. That is was a very generous solution. I thanked her for her help and then went back to the room. Jan and housekeeping were there. They pulled up the carpet and were drying it out further. She said they had used an extractor and the smell was some type of chemical disinfectant. They opened up the balcony doors and turned on the ceiling fan to try and air out the room. They brought up a box of baking soda to help abosrb the odor too. She said she would be back in about 30 mins. to check on things. We went down to the pool and when we returned they were putting the carpet back down and removing the fans. The odor still lingered , but was at least tolerable. It took a few days to leave completely.

We feel everything was handled very well by both housekeeping and resort management. It just was a pain to deal with and started our trip out on a very sour note.

A few of the other issues were not really in anyones control. The room was very acoustic and it had double doors. Whenever anyone passed by in the hallway talking it sounded like they were right there in the living room. And for some reason many parents have no problem letting their kids run screaming down those long halls. We also had our privacy please sign taken off the door one night.

Sorry this is so long, just wanted to explain in detail how things were handled and why these issues were serious to us. I know people have different vacation styles so for some it wouldn't bother them at all, but we were there for the room so it mattered to us.

I am so sorry this happened....it puzzles me (as it does you and your family) that they put you in that room in the first place. This is something that was obviously known by housekeeping and should have been taken care of.

I'm glad to hear you got your points restored for that night...that's a nice gesture and I'm sure made you feel at least a little better about it.

Thanks for sharing your story.
:goodvibes

Tina,
Thanks for the report. It's a shame that your first day or two were spoiled by the carpet problem. I am glad that the BWV CM's handled things as well as they did. I also have to wonder why they allow these rooms to be occupied when they know there is an ongoing problem ?
Also, was there a specific reason you don't prefer the 2 story GV's ? Is the balcony bigger with the one floor layout ? Just curious.

Tina,
Thanks for the report. It's a shame that your first day or two were spoiled by the carpet problem. I am glad that the BWV CM's handled things as well as they did. I also have to wonder why they allow these rooms to be occupied when they know there is an ongoing problem ?
Also, was there a specific reason you don't prefer the 2 story GV's ? Is the balcony bigger with the one floor layout ? Just curious.

That is exactly how we felt. We thought it was handled well, but shouldn't have happened in the first place. I forgot to mention that later in the week, the toilet in that bathroom didn't flush right and luckily my daughter didn't keep using it our it might have overflowed again. We had to call to have it worked on.

There are a few reasons I think I would have preferred the one level GV. The main one being the layout of the Master Bdrm/bathroom. If you look at the GV floorplan on the dvc site you will see how it is similar to the regular layout like in 1 bdrms of most dvc. Ours did not have a door inside the Master and the 2 areas of the bathroom (sink-tub-closet), (sink-toilet-shower) did not connect. You had to go out of one into the hallway and then into the other. Not a great situation when trying to shower and get dressed. This could be even a bigger problem if the villa is occupied by more guests. The other big difference seems to be the living area. In the floor plan for the one level it shows 2 sitting areas. One with a sofa and 2 chairs and another with a loveseat and 2 chairs. This only had one sitting area. When you entered the room you had the dining table to the right and the sofa with desk/chair area straight ahead. Again for us it wasn't a huge issue, but if there was a larger group there there isn't adequate seating. All I kept thinking was that this room was supposed to accomidate a large group and it barely worked for our family of 4. The washer/dryer is not off the kitchen either. It is a stacked version at the end of the hallway upstairs. There were no closets downstairs like it shows by the entry. They had put the baby pack n play,high chairs and vacume cleaner in the Master closet, which took up most of it. Also because the room was so accoustic if we had the TV on in the living room it was very loud in the bedroom right above that had the balcony into the living area. So we tried not to turn it on in the mornings when daugther was still sleeping. I think for a large group, like GVs are designed for , this layout was just not thought out very well. One of my favorite things about the room was the windows in the Master Bdrm that looked out over the Boardwalk. Becasue there was no balcony there you had a great view. At night it was nice to lay in bed and see the lights accross the lake.
I do have pictures of the room that I will try to post if I figure out how.

Hi Tina,
Thanks for explaining. I can see how you would have preferred the one floor layout better. Maybe they saw you only had 4 people and knew the 2-story floor plan was not as well laid-out for a larger group so it defaulted to you because of your smaller party. Can u request which layout you want and how many of each are there. I know there are only 9 GV's but wondering how many are the 1 floor vs the 2 floor. Your view sounded really lovely.
Thanks again for the report and really looking forward to seeing some pics !
Here's a little help with posting pictures :
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=4886029#post4886029

Here's another good site to upload your photos :
http://photobucket.com/

Thanks for the report, sorry you had to deal with this....vacation is supposed to be relaxing! Is that possible at WDW?? Hopefully the rest of your stay was nice.

I have pictures of our room posted on an AOL pictures public gallery. Not sure how to give a link, but you can go to aol.com/pictures and then click Explore public galleries. At the bottom it has an area to searach by tags. Just type in Boardwalk grand villa and the pictures should come up. If someone can tell me how to do this differently that would be great.

I have pictures of our room posted on an AOL pictures public gallery. Not sure how to give a link, but you can go to aol.com/pictures and then click Explore public galleries. At the bottom it has an area to searach by tags. Just type in Boardwalk grand villa and the pictures should come up. If someone can tell me how to do this differently that would be great.

Try this.....

http://pictures.aol.com/galleries/tags/boardwalk grand villa

If someone can tell me how to do this differently that would be great.
Also, go back and read my post #10. I put in posting pics instructions....but I will check out the aol galleries too.

The pics are very nice ! Thanks to Monte Cristo for the link too.

I am sorry to hear about your experience. I had never thought about the fact that with limited GVs, if there is any problem, you likely can't move...I am glad they credited back your points for that night.

Bummer about your problems :(. It sounds like they stepped up and fixed them, but it took way too long! I'm not surprised to hear that they used disinfectant as it appears that the water was probably from a used, overflowed toilet. Did they offer you a smaller unit? Since there were only 4 of you could have "made do" with one or two bedroom.

BTW, your long posts are really hard for me to read. While you used paragraphs, you didn't include any line breaks (like the one above) so it looked like one long run-on paragraph.

I know there are only 9 GV's but wondering how many are the 1 floor vs the 2 floor.

There are 7 BWV GV's. Five have 1 story floorplans and 2 have the 2 story version. The two story GV's are side-by-side on the 5th and 6th floors. If looking from the outside they are under the 'Boardwalk' sign in the yellow section of the building. There are 2 one story GV's underneath them on the 3rd and 4th floors. The other three one story GV's are to the left, starting at the village green (over the store) on the 3-5th floors.

I've never stayed in one but would love to some day. However, with only BCV points I may never stay in a GV in WDW.

Monte Cristo- thanks for posting the link to the pictures. I knew someone would know how!

Maria- I had read your link about posting picutres, but I thought that was for posting pictures in your signature. I will have to read that further when I have try to test things.

Robin- sorry about the long post. I went back and edited it with spacing. I don't post a whole lot. Also, we were really never offered another room since there wasn't another GV available. Not sure if the manager looked at the size of our party. I did tell her I wish they would have told us at check-in there was a problem with the room that they were working on and could we stay somewhere else that first night. We probably wouldn't have been thrilled hearing this at check in, but I think that would have been better.

Thanks! That helped a lot :). You're right, they should have told you about the problem with the room before you checked in.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter