JW Marriott or DLH/VDLH - cost not a factor

Something to consider... we just used Marriot's Best Price Guarantee and booked the JW for 127usd (plus taxes and fees) a night in August! We used the Expedia rate.

Big thanks for this. They matched the Rate I had from the UK plus the extra discount and that makes it $115 a night plus taxes and fees so a saving of $180 total on the rate I had before. or $500+ cheaper than the rate from the hotel direct

Last edited:
We just came back yesterday and stayed at the JW. It was really fantastic and we would totally stay there again. The staff was great, we had concierge access which included a lovely breakfast, and was very walkable to either Toy Story Lot or to the parks (we did both).

We just came back yesterday and stayed at the JW. It was really fantastic and we would totally stay there again. The staff was great, we had concierge access which included a lovely breakfast, and was very walkable to either Toy Story Lot or to the parks (we did both).
Thank you so much for this feedback. I’m glad you enjoyed your trip! What time did the breakfast open in the concierge lounge?

My biggest worry with staying on property is forgoing some luxury and being inundated with little kids. I’m definitely torn. But these are great “problems” to have ;-)

Just picking up on this. The DLH is not a 'luxury' property, like a very high end brand hotel, but certainly stands comparison with a Westin. I'm sure you have looked already, but there plenty of hotel walkthroughs on line that show what the rooms are like. My kids enjoyed the Disney atmosphere even as teenagers. It was sort of nostalgic for them.

It will have plenty of small kids around, especially in the pool area.

That said, it's still a very nicely appointed hotel. Its greatest 'luxury' is its proximity to the parks, and as others have said, the 'bubble feel'. The pool area works fine for adults and kids. In some ways it might be less annoying to have kids at the DLH pool than at the Westin. There will be kids in both places, but only one has a monorail to distract them:)

As for breakfast, can I just put in a plug for room service? We have been staying at the GCH recently, so can't be as definite about the DLH service, but it has been faultless and on time every time for us. We come from a different time zone , so getting up can be a challenge - room service makes it easy. We tend to split the orders (the servings are huge).

If cost is no option then the GCH wins every time. It has a less frenetic pool area, and of course is luxuriously close to the parks.

And the half hour a day early entry is also a little luxury that can't be matched.

Last edited:
Just picking up on this. The DLH is not a 'luxury' property, like a very high end brand hotel, but certainly stands comparison with a Westin. I'm sure you have looked already, but there plenty of hotel walkthroughs on line that show what the rooms are like. My kids enjoyed the Disney atmosphere even as teenagers. It was sort of nostalgic for them.

It will have plenty of small kids around, especially in the pool area.

That said, it's still a very nicely appointed hotel. Its greatest 'luxury' is its proximity to the parks, and as others have said, the 'bubble feel'. The pool area works fine for adults and kids. In some ways it might be less annoying to have kids at the DLH pool than at the Westin. There will be kids in both places, but only one has a monorail to distract them:)

As for breakfast, can I just put in a plug for room service? We have been staying at the GCH recently, so can't be as definite about the DLH service, but it has been faultless and on time every time for us. We come from a different time zone , so getting up can be a challenge - room service makes it easy. We tend to split the orders (the servings are huge).

If cost is no option then the GCH wins every time. It has a less frenetic pool area, and of course is luxuriously close to the parks.

And the half hour a day early entry is also a little luxury that can't be matched.
Thank you so much for this! I am pretty certain I will book a Disney property. I am just waiting for the sale on Wednesday. I am leaning towards the villas, as they are slightly less expensive that GCH, and shiny and new. I’m pleased to hear you’ve had good experiences with in-room dining. We will take advantage of this I am sure. Thanks again!

Thank you so much for this feedback. I’m glad you enjoyed your trip! What time did the breakfast open in the concierge lounge?
Great question! It was well before we were surfacing-I think we went around 7 and it was busy (but easy to get a table) and we were nowhere near the first. Like most JWs they have a business clientele that want an early breakfast to run off to meetings. We had adjoining rooms with our kids on the 10th floor (which is where the lounge is) and loved being able to grab a drink or snack. We also used the lounge to relax a bit, and answer a few emails in peace.

Circling back to say that I ended up booking the GCH for our six night stay at the end of August, taking advantage of the summer sale and Undercover Tourist. It was still over double what the Westin would have been, but....you all convinced me 8-)

You won't regret it! It's the perfect place for a "grown-up" trip and your kids will love it.

Oh, that's wonderful!!! I hope you have a fabulous time!!

One nice thing about staying on site is that if things are down in the parks or you get tired or it's really crowded, you can just head back to your beautiful hotel and swim, eat, etc. It'll feel so easy to come and go!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter