Keep or toss food

not the case with any of the food banks i worked with in northern california. we couldn't accept anything past it's use by date (liability) and the ones around here will in no way, shape or form accept or distribute any expired food (fresh food donations are discouraged and largely come from companies that can ensure proper handling and storage). this isn't to say that some little under the radar church groups and such don't do it-but all they need is one recipient to get ill and go to legal aide....

p.s. i have no problem with using non perishables past the use by date-i've got my printed chart of the true shelf life that i refer to. fresh stuff-it's on an item by item basis. eggs for instance are easier to peel from hard boiled if they're a few days past the use by and i've never had an issue with them.
It is with the Sacramento Food Bank where I have volunteered. All the dairy and fresh juice products are past their "expiration" date as well as the bread. Food doesn't magically go bad on the day after the expiration date. It is wholesome for a lot longer.
Their passion is to feed the hungry with what ever wholesome foods are donated. I worked on the Sunday bag lunch assembly line once making hot dog sandwiches on raisin bread, because THAT is what was donated. Probably not something I would fix at home, but nutritious.

If it were cool, I would keep it. Especially cultured items like the yogurt and ricotta. Not saying there isn't some risk, but I used to grocery shop without a cooler bag in the summer and the food I bought would be exposed to that kind of environment all the time.

Good rule of thumb is to throw perishables out after more than 2 hours at room temperature. 80 degrees out means likely warmer in the car, so warmer than room temp and longer than two hours. Not worth the risk. Throw it out.

I am a health inspector in NJ. Our law lets a food establishment keep food out of temperature for 4 hours before it has to be discarded. If it were me and it was 2 1/2 hours, I would of put in in the freezer to chill it down quickly and then put in the refrigerator. I have a food thermometer at home and that is the best tool for monitoring food temperature. Food doesn't go bad that quickly and most foodborne illnesses are caused by food handlers who do not wash their hands, especially after using the bathroom (and who are carrying some virus). A lot of foodborne illnesses are fecal-oral transmissions. Food temperature is important BUT it is not the only variable in getting someone sick.

I am a health inspector in NJ. Our law lets a food establishment keep food out of temperature for 4 hours before it has to be discarded. If it were me and it was 2 1/2 hours, I would of put in in the freezer to chill it down quickly and then put in the refrigerator. I have a food thermometer at home and that is the best tool for monitoring food temperature. Food doesn't go bad that quickly and most foodborne illnesses are caused by food handlers who do not wash their hands, especially after using the bathroom (and who are carrying some virus). A lot of foodborne illnesses are fecal-oral transmissions. Food temperature is important BUT it is not the only variable in getting someone sick.

Thank you. I was hoping I didn’t have to be the one to say this, as it would look like another chef playing fast and lose with food safety.

I'm almost positive I would still use it after refrigerating it. The only exception would be if it looked or smelled funny when I opened it and I doubt that happened from what you've explained above.

If the food was still cool, I wouldn't worry about it! My niece works at a grocery store after school and says refrigerated food sits in the back room after unloading the truck for hours at a time before it gets put on the shelves. Guess we'd be shocked to see how food is handled at stores and restaurants sometimes

If the food was still cool, I wouldn't worry about it! My niece works at a grocery store after school and says refrigerated food sits in the back room after unloading the truck for hours at a time before it gets put on the shelves. Guess we'd be shocked to see how food is handled at stores and restaurants sometimes

Aren't most supermarket back storage rooms refrigerated in some parts? They have to be.

Aren't most supermarket back storage rooms refrigerated in some parts? They have to be.
Yes they have refrigerated areas in back. My wife's nephew managed a Grocery store in Texas.......think hot and humid. He wondered why he was getting back so much milk that was spoiled well before the expiration date, especially non-fat milk. The dairy delivery guy used to bring in the complete order of dairy goods in from his refrigerated truck, put them in the un-refrigerated part of the back storage area, then move them into the refrigerated section in back. So they might sit out of refrigeration for 45 minutes at the store, then the customer lets them sit in their car in 100 degree weather for a 10 or 15 minute ride home.
He told the dairy guy the delivery had to go from the dairy truck, by the hand truck full, immediately into the refrigerated area, and not wait until the whole order was unloaded to move it into refrigeration.
Guy told him yeah sure. Next deliver, no change. My wife's nephew refused the delivery, and called the dairy and said the entire delivery was not kept at proper temperature and should be dumped.
The dairy dumped the milk, and the delivery guy.
My wife's nephew did not succeed however, in being allowed not to stock non-fat milk altogether. The lack of fat means that milk spoils much much faster than 1%, 2% or whole milk.

Yes they have refrigerated areas in back. My wife's nephew managed a Grocery store in Texas.......think hot and humid. He wondered why he was getting back so much milk that was spoiled well before the expiration date, especially non-fat milk. The dairy delivery guy used to bring in the complete order of dairy goods in from his refrigerated truck, put them in the un-refrigerated part of the back storage area, then move them into the refrigerated section in back. So they might sit out of refrigeration for 45 minutes at the store, then the customer lets them sit in their car in 100 degree weather for a 10 or 15 minute ride home.
He told the dairy guy the delivery had to go from the dairy truck, by the hand truck full, immediately into the refrigerated area, and not wait until the whole order was unloaded to move it into refrigeration.
Guy told him yeah sure. Next deliver, no change. My wife's nephew refused the delivery, and called the dairy and said the entire delivery was not kept at proper temperature and should be dumped.
The dairy dumped the milk, and the delivery guy.
My wife's nephew did not succeed however, in being allowed not to stock non-fat milk altogether. The lack of fat means that milk spoils much much faster than 1%, 2% or whole milk.
https://recipes.howstuffworks.com/does-whole-milk-spoil-faster-than-skim-milk.htm

These are cultured milk products that would spoil slowly. Heck, I make creme fraiche/mexican crema letting it sit out overnight to thicken. I make paneer cheese and let it sit out for a couple hours as I press out the whey. If they were still cool, I would keep them but use them up quickly as the shelf life is likely shortened. My answer would be different for raw shrimp.

There has been a big push here by one of the big local super market chains here to get customers to buy less than perfect fruits and veggies.
It's just as healthy as perfect produce. It costs less. And we waste way way way way way too much wholesome food in this country.
http://ucfoodobserver.com/2015/06/1...d-waste-by-selling-less-than-perfect-produce/
Yes we do. You should see what they throw away in schools. Food that is untouched by kids that is not allowed to leave the cafeteria. Shameful.

My gastro doc states that leaving a yogurt out for 4 hours to get to room temp actually is healthier than eating it cold.

I'm firmly in the better safe than sorry group. Toss it. If someone did happen to get sick would you go, oh well, at least I didn't waste $10 of food? I don't think so.

Where was the car? In a garage? I would use it

Out in the driveway? Nope, I would toss it. It would have gotten much hotter than 80 in the car in the sun

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter