Keeping little ones entertained on a 12 hour flight?

themostcuriousoyster

Second star to the right **
Hi,

I am particularly nervous about flying the long haul for the first time with our sons, 4 + 2.

Whilst we aren't opposed to letting them watch a film on the flight... what else can we do to keep them entertained?!

Colouring, Sticker Books / Picture Books, watching a couple of films (like you mentioned), having a nap and playing card games like Top Trumps or Uno with my parents normally used to keep me quiet when we flew to Florida when I was little.

Done several flights with kids this age including a 13 hour flight last year.

found a few games (wrapped up) etc to be good but generally was mainly tablets, tv and wandering up and down the cabin that worked (for 2 year old). 2 boys qhich means generally less into colouring etc and more into physocal things. it was fine for us and wouldnt stress too much. food was also a useful tactic!!! managed to watch a film (although took entire flight in 5 minute bursts)

dont stress too much every child i ve seen on these flight s has been good. on way back we try and make a big deal of getting to sleep on the plane and get them in their pjs first etc

we flew 16 hours in august with the entire family, including our two grandchildren, ages 2 and 3 at the time.

one thing i strongly suggest - invest in two pairs of the special earphones for small children - they don't allow the volume to go over a certain amount, so as not to accidentally blow out the ears of your kids.

my son had two old android phones that he loaded up with a zillion videos that he knew his kids like to watch (especially the 3 year old).

they both were much more interested in watching videos on the phones than they were in the plane's entertainment system

On my sons first long haul he was 2 and I majorly over packed. I bought soo many Disney themed bits, new pens/pencils, notepads, sticker books etc and he barely used them. I kept the bits as surprises for on the plane but he wasn't really interested. My daughter who was 3 on her first long haul loved all those little bits and sticker books etc.

The best thing we do is let them choose a couple of new magazines at the airport and definitely snacks and decent head phones!

Try not to worry about it too much, they may get a bit fidgety but they'll probably surprise you :)

We try and break up the flight into time parcels around a few films, and meals. They get one thing to unwrap every couple of hours (sticker books, colouring books, little games) in a rucksack that we hold.
Ours have been going transatlantic every year for the last 5 years. Only one bad flight with one of them so far (fingers crossed)

We got a tip from a friend which was to take a small play dough set for my 2 year old son last year. I was a bit sceptical but sure enough, he sat and played away quietly on his table seat for hours. I also agree about downloading videos to a phone or tablet, my DS hardly used the seat back screen

My kids loved the travel magnadoodle toys.The 'pen'was attached by a short string and it meant they coud draw and erase to their hear'ts content. Even my youngest who doesn't particularly like drawing loved this because he loved how he could magically make his scribbles disappear!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter