• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Kennels - How much$$

The price is $9 per dog. You are required to walk them 3 times a day and they are crated from what I understand.

The $9 quote is if you leave your pet at the kennel all day. There is also the option of leaving your pet only during the day for $6 and then having the pet stay with you at night if you are in the campground. We have done this several times in the past for our dogs, and they have loved their time spent in the kennel ....... and we have loved our day in the parks not worrying about them!

Thanks for the answers. I know they are crates which is the very reason I hesitate, but my collie is on meds and I like to keep an eye on her. We're most likely going in Oct and I'm trying to make plans for her, but we're staying at POFQ this time. So, she will have to be kenneled 24/7. This is part business trip for my husband so my daughter and I will have more spare time for Annie (except for a couple park days). We'll see.

There are also outside kennels at Fort Wilderness. They can stay outside in a regular sized kennel instead of in a crate inside.

Have you ever used the kennels outside of WDW? I'm a little apprehensive about places I know nothing about or have visited.

When my husband call FW kennels directly they told him the dogs were crated and that we had to come walk them 3 times per day because it's against Disney policy for them to touch them. She mentioned nothing about outside kennels. We were not impressed with the way things are run there and based on the information that my husband received, we are not leaving our dogs there on our upcoming trip.

I completely misread "ang" post. I thought she might private kennels outside of WDW. I have never heard of outside kennels at WDW either. I was told they were crates inside a building. That's why I didn't want to board Annie there either. She's a collie and needs the room. A few days ago, we got some excellent news about her health as well. Her liver seems to be normal right now (although she'll have the pemphigus for life). That was excellent news :pinkbounc So, I'm not so hesitate of leaving her here at home at the kennel.

Thanks for the info.

I'm so glad to hear that you got good news on Annie! What is pemphigus ?
Are you going to be camping out or staying in the cabins? We were able to get a full hook-up site that will allow us to take our 2 dogs with us. Is this an option for you?

CLynn: There are 4 types of pemphigus, but Annie has the mildest of the four. It started out that she was losing the cobbliness and black pigment in her nose. She had a biopsy that revealed the pemphigus. It's basically her body attacking itself. She also was losing the black pigment on other parts of her body. She had to be on imuran (which we think caused the liver damage) and prednisone (which you don't want to be on very long). One year later, she developed the liver damage, but the pemphigus was basically under control. 8 months, it seems the liver is under control, but she's losing the pigment again, slightly. We're going to the allergist Monday to discuss this. This morning, she pottied on near the door, so I have to ask about that as well. She doesn't seem to be able to hold it as long as she used to do, but it could all have to do with the fact she's off the Pred and having reactions to that.

We were supposed to stay at POFQ because my DH has a seminar down there (business pays the hotel), but due to recent school policy change, we've decided that he'll just go :( REally bumming about this! Anyway, we were trying to figure out what to do with Annie if we went. We took her to FW last Oct. It's a little tougher taking your pet because you have to make sure you go back and let them out. I felt the trip was a little more stressed due to that and the fact my sis was with us. I think if sis goes again, we'll stay in a resort. Actually, she suggested that as well. We will probably take the camper again if it's just us.

We have used the kennels at FtW, TTC & AK. All have indoor pens, very clean & climate controlled. AK large pens are a little smaller (about 30"x48") than the largest pens at the others. All have outdoor pens, if you prefer. The TTC is the largest kennel with many indoor & outdoor pens. We have 3 Shar-peis and have recently kept them at the TTC in a 10'x10' outdoor pen - the largest one they have. This worked great because they could all be together, they had room to play and their own huge wall-mounted fan.
Beware that the kennel food is Alpo Come n' Get It dry, so you will want to bring your own food and probably dog dishes to help them feel at home.
Walking them 3 times a day is great for them and us - we can spend some time with them rather than being isolated in a kennel day and night. We have Disney fun on our walks - at the TTC our dogs try to steal Pluto's bone and go in his doghouse, at FtW they visit the trail ride horses & go for woodsy walks, at AK they ride the tram and have met the Lion King characters in the entrance plaza.

We have used the kennels at FtW, TTC & AK. All have indoor pens, very clean & climate controlled. AK large pens are a little smaller (about 30"x48") than the largest pens at the others. All have outdoor pens, if you prefer. The TTC is the largest kennel with many indoor & outdoor pens. We have 3 Shar-peis and have recently kept them at the TTC in a 10'x10' outdoor pen - the largest one they have. This worked great because they could all be together, they had room to play and their own huge wall-mounted fan.
Beware that the kennel food is Alpo Come n' Get It dry, so you will want to bring your own food and probably dog dishes to help them feel at home.
Walking them 3 times a day is great for them and us - we can spend some time with them rather than being isolated in a kennel day and night. We have Disney fun on our walks - at the TTC our dogs try to steal Pluto's bone and go in his doghouse, at FtW they visit the trail ride horses & go for woodsy walks, at AK they ride the tram and have met the Lion King characters in the entrance plaza.:wave:

I did not realize they had such large outside kennels at TTC (same at FW?) So are they outside all the time even during the night? Is it shaded? Annie cannot be in the direct sun due to her pemphigus disease.

Thanks!

The outside kennels at FtW are about 1 meter x 2 meters, and yes, they do stay outside at night, but well sheltered with a roof (lg overhang on it) and walls. There is no longer a super-sized kennel here as the AK has taken it over to house birds.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter