Kids need to know a lot of adults play vmk

pixiewytch

DIS Veteran
I know this is kind of a rehashed topic but I get the impression that a lot of kids in the game still believe that there aren't many adults on or that we are some super creepy minority. For example, when I was waiting for checkers yesterday a couple of girls were discussing their ages (I know, against vmk rules) and that they were homeschooled. I sort of joked that it must be nice to be homeschooled and playing vmk all morning. Then they asked me what school I went to. In so many allowable words I explained that I'm an adult with kids. They said "ew, that's gross" and "why are you on here?". I said "um, a lot of us are on here. Just kids at heart I suppose;)".

So aside from being slightly annoyed that I'm some weirdo creepy person for being a grown up on vmk, I also thought as a parent about how these kids shouldn't take for granted that everyone else is a kid, especially when they are giving out their ages, the way they look, etc.

Yeah, yeah, I know I've seen plenty of kids beware posts on here before but seriously, I don't think we can emphasize this enough. LOTS OF ADULTS ARE ON VMK. We aren't all creepy either but I'm sure some of the creepos are out there. I've come across one myself who thought I was a kid. So please be careful about giving out personal info and assuming your friends are the same age. I know vmk is supposed to give warnings about that sort of thing but it certainly wasn't happening yesterday...

Okay, stepping off my soapbox now. :hippie:

I hear you, but its not the people here who are going to need reinforcement that there are adults in vmk. Anyone who reads these pages already is aware.

To be honest I would have reported those girls. Thats the only way you can help protect them. The rules VMK puts in place if enforced is the safest online environment I have ever seen. They can't police everything, so thats where we need to step up. I always report people who go that far with personal information.

Hi! I know you want to protect children, we all do, but to say anything at all about that on vmk could be a ban. You are far better off either not saying anything at all personal or telling those kids that they can be banned for discussing anything personal. I usually tell kids to please stop talking about 'person.all' info because it's not allowed on vmk, then try changing the subject. Most of them will apologize and move on to another topic. :goodvibes
The Dis and many other fan sites do post frequent warnings to children. Parents need to know what their kids are doing on the internet, as well.

Aengus, I didn't think about reporting them but that's a good idea. These girls were giving out their height, their ages, what color hair they had. I was really surprised vmk didn't do anything about it but I guess they can't catch everything.

It is frustrating though to not be able to explain that you are an adult to someone who assumes you are another kid. It's too bad vmk doesn't allow some way for you to do this without getting personal.

I agree that parents need to be watching their kids but obviously they can't be next to them on the computer every second either.

I do know this and as a kid I look to you guys as protecting us from the creeps not being them yourselfs you guys all I hear and see is making sure the kids come first and without you vmk wouldn't be the same ( alot more bans or worse ) so yea I don't find it weird at all but I think the kids were younger and with all the internet predetor things we have to sit through kids aren't used to it.

Aengus, I didn't think about reporting them but that's a good idea. These girls were giving out their height, their ages, what color hair they had. I was really surprised vmk didn't do anything about it but I guess they can't catch everything.

It is frustrating though to not be able to explain that you are an adult to someone who assumes you are another kid. It's too bad vmk doesn't allow some way for you to do this without getting personal.

I agree that parents need to be watching their kids but obviously they can't be next to them on the computer every second either.

yes, vmk is usually pretty good about not coming down on people using the report button. So use it ;) they will start to get it, even if for the wrong reason.

I do know this and as a kid I look to you guys as protecting us from the creeps not being them yourselfs you guys all I hear and see is making sure the kids come first and without you vmk wouldn't be the same ( alot more bans or worse ) so yea I don't find it weird at all but I think the kids were younger and with all the internet predetor things we have to sit through kids aren't used to it.

remember tho, just because the adult is on these boards doesnt make it safe ;) Never give anyone here any extra information. No address, phone numbers. Some of the worst people hide among the nice ones, remember that kiddo.

remember tho, just because the adult is on these boards doesnt make it safe ;) Never give anyone here any extra information. No address, phone numbers. Some of the worst people hide among the nice ones, remember that kiddo.[/QUOTE]

That I do know i'm just pointing out the good adults out on here. Which is most of you. :)

If conversations stay "neutral" I think it's easy for kids to not catch on someone is an adult. And it's hard to tell a kid in game that you are not a kid, that can be crossing the line into personal info. Those of us here would never think to pretend we are a kid to mislead kids we have contact with in game, although I'm sure it probably happens, so yes, parents need to warn their kids and really keep an eye on what they do not only in vmk but online as a whole. I think too many adults, the ones who don't play vmk or other online games, can be mislead into thinking (for example) "it's a Disney game, it's safe." So, as we have discussed before, parents really need to know what their children are doing online to keep them safe. That said, my daughter has some really good adults on her friend's list that are from here, and she really didn't always know they were adults or from DIS when they were added on her list, but from reading here and just in-game interaction she has come to know some of them are adults and we go from there on who we think is "safe" to hang out with in game. (if that makes any sense..I mean, it's not like she's giving out personal info. in game or anything, I guess I mean she is comfortable visiting them in game.)

I have been in rooms where kids are giving out their personal info. and all you can do is what has been said, kindly remind them not to give out person.all info or report them for their own safety. The issue I have is that sometimes kids will say, "oh did you have a half day of school today too?" It's not like I'm going to say "oh I'm not a kid" but try to work into the conversation something like "I have to go, I need to go make dinner now" and just hope they catch on. Then they can decide if they want to hang around with me knowing I am an adult. Even more, if my daughter and I am on at the same time and others don't realize she's my daughter...others in the room from here know this so when one of us says something like "oops, she got dc, she will be right back" ppl who don't know will say "how do you know that?" I tend to just not answer because again, I don't want to say "because she's right here in the same house as me" and have that be too much personal info.

I guess the best we can do is what most of us here have done all along, try to keep those around us in the game in safe situations.

remember tho, just because the adult is on these boards doesnt make it safe ;) Never give anyone here any extra information. No address, phone numbers. Some of the worst people hide among the nice ones, remember that kiddo.

Good reminder Aengus!!!

I think they should give everyone over a certain age a badge like the VIP badge. Than maybe some of these questions would quit being asked and alot of kids would not be banned for asking questions like why are you not in school today, how come you don't want to be my boyfriend, etc.

I actually think they should give warnings and than bans to these kids who go around asking if you are taken, I think these are the kids who are more at risk to being tricked by an adult predator pretending to be a kid themselves. They are looking for glove in all the wrong places.

Maybe they could make some old people faces for us adults!!

That I do know i'm just pointing out the good adults out on here. Which is most of you. :)

Ah....BUT..... you really don't know that.... That's the whole problem with the internet. "Bad" people come across as very NICE adults... Again, never ever give out anything remotely personal to ANYBODY here on the DIS boards.

You may look at my picture and think, oh sweet little girly Pink.... but I could actually be a 50 year old male pervert in real life for all you know! Pretty scary thought!!

I'm FEMALE!

I'm FEMALE!

I'm FEMALE!

(for anyone wondering...) :upsidedow

Oh, wouldn't that be funny? Then we could really get made fun of and discriminated by at say a game of pirates because of our age.:rotfl:

what about us old people who constantly have to show our id? :rotfl:

dont hate us pretty people :)

You know what? I never questioned that before right now. :scratchin

No, you prefer Capture the Flag over Ship Battle. That means your definently a girl!

I prefer battle over CtF. What does that make me? :confused3

But really, people can never really tell what a person is like over the internet.
Most of you may think I'm pretty level headed. And while I may be to a point, I have a very short fuse to my temper irl.
You guys never see me when I'm pounding on my desk and cursing like a sailor when I get into games that frustrate me. ;)

Some kids also don't realize that some people have characters that are not the same gender as you really are. I can't tell you how many times I've had my boy characters asked byt a girl "are you taken?" Or how many times I'll say I don't do that and I'm really a girl. Some just go into shock. Others are completely grossed out by it.

As for being an adult, I can always just say that I'm a kid at heart. :)

Pete... Minnie, emporium 1000 credits :thumbsup2

I don't think he's gullible enough to believe that. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter