Knights and Lights May 29, 08

Did you book through ABD?

We have further to go timewise before we take off so I haven't decided on airfares/airlines yet. What did you go with?

We did wind up going with ABD. The prices were just about the same, but the flights they got us were better than what I was able to find. It was cheaper if I dorked around and had us fly out of Atlanta and then booked the Savannah leg seperate, and also cheaper if we booked round trip through London and then a seperate leg from Paris back to London. But then I thought about what a pain in the rear all of that would be, and I felt like all that changing around probably increases our chances of losing our luggage. So I booked it all together on US Air. Plus, booking all together I was able to get trip insurance on the whole deal through Disney too.

I also have officially added on the DLP leg. We'll be staying at the New York Hotel. I wanted New Port Bay, but apparently it's the New York or the pink palace. I REALLy wanted the pink palace, but decided in the end that I would rather save some money for trinkets to bring back.

Man, I feel broke! LOL

Steno, sorry for all the questions but since you are going 4 months before me, I consider you an expert.:rotfl2:

Did you book your DLP pkg through ABD or was that a separate add-on that you did. I want the scoop. I added one night in Paris with ABD at the Hilton hotel but I'm still thinking about needing more time at DLP. I want to hear the details on what you ended up with, if you don't mind.

Thanks.

Don't worry about asking questions, that's what these boards are for! Though I'm no expert. I think MJ might be the expert. I just reread her blog today, again! LOL I wanted to review the Paris portion. I've got the London portion down, I think.

I reserved the DLP through ABD. It was around 1,500 for the New York Hotel. That also includes VIP park tickets. I have NO idea what makes them VIP. The tickets are for three days, but the best I can figure is you're really only going to be using them for two. On the third day, which should be the day you check out, my flight is at 1:30 in the afternoon. We might be able to have one last look at the castle and one last ride on something if it's not busy? That's my hope anyway. If you add about 1,000 to the price, you can stay in the Disneyland Hotel, aka the Pink Palace. You also get a transfer to the airport with that price.

I couldn't tell if there was any real savings by booking outside of ABD. I think if you stay off site there may be. I found researching hotels and ticket prices for DLP to be very frustrating. Their website had no prices this far out, so I really couldn't judge the prices of things. And the hotels are out of sight. With that in mind, I jsut went ahead and booked with ABD.

I was also concerned with getting to the airport on that last day. I could just see us getting lost just because we're tired, or something happening, and we miss our flight. I looked into hiring a personal car for about $160 and thought that's pretty high, but at least we would have our own car and so I would stress less about the getting everything to the airport on time. The fact that an airport transfer is somehow included in this trip price was a big thing for me just for my peace of mind. I know I'm probably making a mountain out of a mole hill, but it's just the last place I want a problem is after a long, cool but long, vacation in another country where I don't speak the lanuage except to say I don't speak French on the way to the airport.

Anymore questions, fire away!

We did wind up going with ABD. The prices were just about the same, but the flights they got us were better than what I was able to find. It was cheaper if I dorked around and had us fly out of Atlanta and then booked the Savannah leg seperate, and also cheaper if we booked round trip through London and then a seperate leg from Paris back to London. But then I thought about what a pain in the rear all of that would be, and I felt like all that changing around probably increases our chances of losing our luggage. So I booked it all together on US Air. Plus, booking all together I was able to get trip insurance on the whole deal through Disney too.

I did not book my flights through ABD. I also did not buy my trip insurance through ABD, but that was because I wanted to have the pre-existing conditions waiver. However, in my discussions with ABD, when I was trying to figure out what I wanted to do about the trip insurance, I was told that flights are covered by the ABD-purchased trip insurance, even if you book the flights yourself. I was told that any pre- or post-stays, as long as booked with ABD, are also covered. In other words, flights are the only thing that you can book yourself that are still covered.

Were you told that the ABD trip insurance would not cover your flights if you booked them yourself? I do not think that is true, and I guess it bothers me that people are worrying about this if they don't need to.

I did not book my flights through ABD. I also did not buy my trip insurance through ABD, but that was because I wanted to have the pre-existing conditions waiver. However, in my discussions with ABD, when I was trying to figure out what I wanted to do about the trip insurance, I was told that flights are covered by the ABD-purchased trip insurance, even if you book the flights yourself. I was told that any pre- or post-stays, as long as booked with ABD, are also covered. In other words, flights are the only thing that you can book yourself that are still covered.

Were you told that the ABD trip insurance would not cover your flights if you booked them yourself? I do not think that is true, and I guess it bothers me that people are worrying about this if they don't need to.

Yes, we were told that the flights were not covered by the ABD trip insurance because we booked them ourselves. For example, if the trip was cancelled or rescheduled, we would have to pay any airline fees associated with rebooking the flights. Same if there was a flight delay or cancellation, they would not be responsible for missed connections or rebooking us. We were told the ABD trip insurance only covers lost luggage or trip interruptions, but it does cover important things like medical/dental or legal problems... Were you told differently?

Hi ... I've been following this thread and thanks Steno for the kind words. I'm glad my blog has helped. I wasn't able to book flights through ABD, because I was also doing the med cruise. I booked DLP through DCL as they offered the package for the same cost I could have booked it myself. I booked Trip insurance through an independent company. This worked out the best, and I was able to put the expense off until the final payment was made. It helped a bit with the budgetting.

Anyway ... I hope you all enjoy it as much as my daughter and I did. If you would like to read my blog, see the link in my signature. If you have any questions, I'll try to answer them. I'm off on my 2nd ABD next August, thanks to DVC and the bonus triple signup bonus :goodvibes I'm doing the Backstage Magic tour in California! I just can't get enough Disney!

Well had to come post my update. I called ABD and dropped my extra day in Paris and added the DLP package in its place, staying at the Disneyland Hotel. I kept my add on front day in London though.

Steno--I owe you big time, I wouldn't have known about the DLP addon without you. This is going to be so much better than catching the train and going to DLP just for the one day.

And MJGirl, you were the inspiration behind the original booking so thanks to you too. I hope you enjoy your Disneyland California experience. We live a few hours from Disneyland and I've given serious thought to this tour but I just don't think I could talk DH into spending that kind of money to go south for 3 hours from home!!! I'll be looking for your trip report on this one to perhaps inspire me (although I'm thinking Hong Kong Disney might be next).

And the great thing is that you are going in May and will be able to post a trip report before I leave so I'll know all the ins and outs from you.

DH is going to be so excited about the DLP addon. I didn't even discuss it with him; just booked it. I'm doing a big time happy dance right now. :banana:

Good for you! The Pink Palace too. OOOOOHHH, I'm so jealous. I wish we were going at the same time, but at least I should have all the dirt for ya when I get back. ;)

Well had to come post my update. I called ABD and dropped my extra day in Paris and added the DLP package in its place, staying at the Disneyland Hotel. I kept my add on front day in London though.

Steno--I owe you big time, I wouldn't have known about the DLP addon without you. This is going to be so much better than catching the train and going to DLP just for the one day.

And MJGirl, you were the inspiration behind the original booking so thanks to you too. I hope you enjoy your Disneyland California experience. We live a few hours from Disneyland and I've given serious thought to this tour but I just don't think I could talk DH into spending that kind of money to go south for 3 hours from home!!! I'll be looking for your trip report on this one to perhaps inspire me (although I'm thinking Hong Kong Disney might be next).

And the great thing is that you are going in May and will be able to post a trip report before I leave so I'll know all the ins and outs from you.

DH is going to be so excited about the DLP addon. I didn't even discuss it with him; just booked it. I'm doing a big time happy dance right now. :banana:

I booked our flights today. ABD could not do them because they were multi-city due to the Viva Italia trip before Knights and Lights. I booked with British Airways before the air goes up due to gas prices. :scared1: ABD did say the flights would be covered if we bought their insurance.

I also booked another post night at the Hilton so we have more time at Disneyland Paris. I did not want to book the Disneyland Paris add on because I work seasonally at WDW and do not need the tickets (also cheaper.) I am going to surprise DH for Christmas! :banana: He knows I have been checking prices and planning Europe in the fall but he does not know I booked anything yet. He and I were both leaning towards ABD so he will be happy. Any good ideas on how to give this gift?

I booked our flights today. ABD could not do them because they were multi-city due to the Viva Italia trip before Knights and Lights. I booked with British Airways before the air goes up due to gas prices. :scared1: ABD did say the flights would be covered if we bought their insurance.

I also booked another post night at the Hilton so we have more time at Disneyland Paris. I did not want to book the Disneyland Paris add on because I work seasonally at WDW and do not need the tickets (also cheaper.) I am going to surprise DH for Christmas! :banana: He knows I have been checking prices and planning Europe in the fall but he does not know I booked anything yet. He and I were both leaning towards ABD so he will be happy. Any good ideas on how to give this gift?

When are you doing Knights and Lights? We are going Sep 19-26 ABD with the DLP addon for the 27/28.

I'm looking at British Airways but can't decide what class I want to go so I'm stalling. We flew coach when we went to Italy in 2005 and I was so uncomfortable (DH and I are both quite tall).

I'm not very creative on gift giving. I do scrapbook so if it were me, I'd probably get some stickers of the Eiffel Tower, the Coleseum, Venetian Masks, Big Ben, etc and do a little itinerary with pictures (no words except for dates). I'm sure someone else will have better ideas.

What a nice surprise. I wish DH would do something like this for me but I'm the one who has to do all the planning.

Since you work for Disney pt, do you know what VIP Fastpasses are that we are getting at DLP with our addon package? I'm already excited about them and I don't have any clue as to what they are. :confused3

Patricia: What a great surprise!! And you work part time for the Mouse and get tickets, now that's just showing off! :rotfl: That's actually a dream I have, but until they open a location in Savannah I don't think it's going to happen. I surprised my DH with a 7 day DCL last month. I had planned that thing for a year! I can't believe I held it in that long. I'm a scrapper so I made a card with a pirate mickey theme and then did the MasterCard commercial on the inside. It went something like: Swimming with the dolphins $300, a verandah cabin $2,800, your husband's face when he realizes he's going on a cruise and we're compltely debt free, priceless. I gave it to him at dinner when we were out with his whole family, who also already knew. I can't believe he didn't notice how they all kept giggling and making sidelong glances at him! :rotfl: It was great though, and my card is going to look great in the scrapbook.

This is so off topic, but.......

(DH and I are both quite tall).

My dad's whole family is tall. You would love to visit his house. All the shower heads are really high and the kitchen and bathroom countertops are higher and the light switches have all been moved too. He and my stepmother are both 6'3. I have a brother and sister that are nine and 11 and they are dying to be tall. I keep telling them my one sister, who only made 5'5, would have been taller if she hadn't tried drinking and smoking in high school. LOL I caught my brother trying to stretch himself hanging from the top bunk of his bed. I told him I thought that would only give him monkey arms. My littler sister says she wants to be 5'10 like me. But I told her 5'10 is just a pain. It's too tall to find pants off the rack but too short to be considered a true tall. All my pants have to be altered. I've never been so excited as when the fashion became people's jeans dragging on the ground. Finally my jeans fit perfect! :rotfl:

I also just wanted to mention that you get VIP tickets, not VIP fastpasses (which you had mentioned above.) I don't think we get to pass anyone in line ahead of us, and though I would feel bad I would still totally do it. What exactly a VIP ticket is I don't know, but from lurking around on the Brit DLP board I think at least part of it is breakfast is included and I think can be a character breakfast. I am saying that based on very, very little information though so we'll see.

I'm sure that the CM said my package included park tickets and VIP fastpasses. I went to the DLP website and checked under the DL Hotel and they do have VIP fastpasses listed as being offered but not what they do.

I was just curious. I really don't care. I'm so excited to be going that even if I just got to walk around the parks and take photos, it would still be the greatest.

I'm still browsing airfare although I think I'm going to book on my own since ABD will only book your trip on one airline (I believe that is what I saw out here somewhere). So far I can see that there is a good flight going over on British Airways and another good flight coming back on Air France. That's out of San Francisco, which is 3 hours from home. I just don't think I can get anything here locally that can get me to San Francisco with less time taken than the drive. I'll keep looking though. What else do I have to do while I'm at work. :lmao: I have enough airlines miles that I could cash in but I like to save those for the trips we take to Orlando where we take all of our adult kids/spouses. Between DVC and free airline miles, it doesn't seem quite as awful to take them (although their bar bill brings tears to my eyes).

So the next thing we'll have to discuss is the meals. Steno, are you going to be booking advance meal reservations? I will definitely want to know all about the food situation. My fear is that it will be like WDW and there will be no place to eat if I don't book 180 days out:scared1: Will I survive another 10 months of anticipation? I don't know.

We did this ABD tour last year ( it was great) and then added the 2 nights at DLP at the end. Two nites was just enough. We got to the hotel by 11 AM so we had all afternoon in one park (MK) and the next day we went to the studios in the AM and back to MK in the PM. Left 10AM the next morning for the airport (took about 45 min). I loved the MK and wouldn't go to Paris without seeing it again. Yes, it is much smaller than WDW, but it is truly charming. The castle is like a confection and the rides are better (I think) than the same ones in Florida. The VIP service gave us fast passes for rides, but we hardly every needed them. In Paris for our free time, we had lunch at a restaurant on Ile St Louis, shopped on the Champs Elysee, and took a looong walk thru the Catacombs (very wierd! granddaughters choice). Our free time in London included a trip to the British War Rooms, shopping at Harrods (looking actually). We got a cel phone from Mobal Communications - no contract whatsoever, BUT every call is $1.50 per minute! Works for me though. Took it to Croatia and Austria this year.

For those of you who are thinking of going out to Stonehenge consider going to Hampton Court Palace on that day as well.

Both are in the same area and both can easily be done on the same day.

Before you go you can purchase a Brit rail pass via the internet.

The UK trains are are on time. Clean as they can be (with a lot of people riding them.)

I'm sure that the CM said my package included park tickets and VIP fastpasses. I went to the DLP website and checked under the DL Hotel and they do have VIP fastpasses listed as being offered but not what they do.

I'm booked on the Flavors of France trip on June 25 (anyone else?), and also just put a deposit for two of my clients. I was told on both calls that the DLP add-on for this trip included VIP Fastpasses.

I'm debating on the AbD add-on or using DVC points. I'll lose the transfers if I use points, but my bank account will like it more! Then there's the problem of the boys who want to stay in the heart of Paris (cousins, nightclubs, cousins' female friends...) but still want to visit DLP. Maybe by the end of the trip, we won't mind being in hotels far, far away from each other!

This Flavors of France trip is booking up very quickly! There are only two rooms left on our date, and a lot of the others are filling up as well. I also just booked a family for China and those early booking discounts were gone long ago. I think that, even with the horrible exchange rate for most countries, this is going to be the year that we really see AbD take off!

Dotti

I wish there was an emoticon rubbing it's hands together in glee, VIP fastpassess, ooooohhhhh. Sometimes I think some things get lost in translation when you use a TA, not that she's not great, but I know I didn't know about VIP fastpasses. I'm like you though, I would be just as happy walking around taking pictures.

As far as reservations for food, in lurking over on the DLP board I've noticed that the Brits seem to be making their reservations as soon as they get in their rooms, not really in advance. (and I think that's what MJ did too) And they also seem to say that even if the park resturants are crowed I guess you can walk to the Downtown Disney area (that has another name I think) and there are several resturants there that people seem to like that aren't crowded when the parks are crowed. One of the advantages of having smaller parks I guess.

My big concern is our free time in Paris and ordering food. Is that wierd? :rotfl: I don't know if I should write down the french for food I find I like so we can find it the next time when we're on our own or not. When I went to Paris in high school I was so afraid of the resturants that I lived on french bread and pastry carts. I don't think my husband is going to let me get away with that this time. That's really the only thing freaking me out. Which is probably stupid.

So the next thing we'll have to discuss is the meals. Steno, are you going to be booking advance meal reservations? I will definitely want to know all about the food situation. My fear is that it will be like WDW and there will be no place to eat if I don't book 180 days out:scared1: Will I survive another 10 months of anticipation? I don't know.

Hey MJ: did y'all ever find the Disney store in Paris? And if so is it worth a stop or no because we're going to DLP??? I went to the Disney store in New York and it was super-duper cool, so I wanted to check.

Also, any restruant advice from anyone would be great. What did you like and how did you know you liked it??

Steno--don't those VIP fastpasses make you want to hop on the next plane and get over there to use them. I wish WDW offered those--I'd be willing to pay a pretty penny for one of them.

I cracked up over your food fear. DH and I are huge foodies and very adventurous. When we went to Italy 2 years ago, we were not on a tour so we were doing our meals on our own. The first night, in Milan, we went to this restaurant where nobody spoke English. I had a little Italian/English dictionary to look up words (good thing because one night a menu had horsemeat on it). Anyway, DH ordered what he thought would be something like shrimp scampi. Well it was this one shrimp, head still on but cut in half, laying on a plate. My meal was delicious and filling. After we left there, we walked to a pizza stand and he ordered a pizza to go and ate in our room. Good thing he knew the word for mushroom because that's the pizza he ordered. We never met anyone in Milan who spoke English so it was quite fun.

I'm more worried about the food in England though. I don't remember ever hearing anyone say "oh the food is great".

Hi Steno ... Yes I found the Disney Store in Paris. It's on the Champs d'Elysee. Definitely worth checking out. You might also want to check out the Virgin Record store on the Champs d'Elysee as well. Very nice!

MJ

In London, definitely check out Harrods. Just remember to double all the prices :lmao:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter