Korker Ribbon Barettes?

Here is a picture of what i am talking about :)

47b5ce31b3127cce94e424e63f1a00000016108AZs2jhq3ctF

I have bowmaking instructions that a friend sent to me. They are for different types of bows, including the corkers. You'll need Adobe Reader to open it. I would be more than happy to send it to you if you want. (it has pics to help you see how to do it too)

I just sent it (iluvtiggerto is my email). Let me know if it doesn't work. I'll try to resend it.

I have been making those korker bows for a few years now-my kids are getting older and not wearing them as often, so i have been making the long ones-spirit ribbons with korkers in them. Not hard, but time consuming!

Get wooden dowels in varying widths but get many of the same width. Ex: pick two widths-1/2 inch and 1/4 inch-get some for light colors and some for darks and keep a few for whites since the color will bleed onto the white if you kork white after another color. And get a bunch of both kinds of dowels-Michaels has them and we cut/saw them in half to fit in the oven. Get lots of wooden clothespins.
Preheat oven to 350. Hook ribbon with clothespin around one end of a dowel. Roll ribbon down the dowel evenly, touching but not overlapping. At end secure with another clothespin and cut ribbon. Do this with all the dowels you have-different colors of course and "cook" on clean rack in oven for 10 minutes. Don't overlap different colors as they will bleed. Take them out carefully and let cool. Unwrap ribbon off of dowel and you have your corkers. Cut to desired length (make them as equal in length as you can-use a ruler if you have to or count how many curls you cut each one(but that will differ with different sized ribbon). Different people use different methods.
Get the desired amount (20-40) corkers and wrap them together with stretchy cord. Go around twice for strength. Tie them onto barrette and secure with hot glue. Sometimes I will use thin thin wire for a good hold.
Fix bow(fluff a bit) and cut parts that are too long or pull through for evenness. Seal edges of ribbons with Fraycheck.

That is how I learned to do them and even if they get wet, they hold thier curl!
Have fun-Lori

Lori

Thank you for the great instructions. Do you have to wet the ribbon with water or something else before you wrap them around the dowels? You mentioned them bleeding through so I figured they were wet with something.

Thanks

Jenny

alright, thanks for all the great info, i finally have all my gear together and hope to work on them this week!! :yay: I will post a pic if they are not too scary looking! hahah!

Alright here it is!!!

but BE NICE! it's my first one! i'm not thrilled with it, but it was hard!! haha!
I'm hoping my next one goes better! It's small b/c it's for my DDs teeny tiny head :) she wanted to wear it already!!

th_MMKorker.jpg

Great job! It looks adorable and I'm sure your little one will look precious with it on!

Before I try this, what was the hard part? Did you learn any tips to make it easier for the crafty challenged (me).

Jenny

Gathering all the korkers together. That was next to near impossible! haah! i followed the instructions that i was given and while it SOUNDS easy, it wasn't! :laughing: I tried again, i will post that one, but it was still hard. I will try and figure out a way to make it easier!! Hopefully tonite!

to make it easier to pull korkers together-my friends DH made her a little thing-EASY-it is a piece of wood(wider than thicker) with 2 nails on each side of the wood piece side by side -about 2 inches across from each other.
This held the korkers in. I just got used to gathering them and it worked fine but my friend loved her little contraption!

Lori

Thank you for the great instructions. Do you have to wet the ribbon with water or something else before you wrap them around the dowels? You mentioned them bleeding through so I figured they were wet with something.

Thanks

Jenny

NOPE-nothing -just off the roll!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter