Laissez les bon temps rouler (let the good times roll). Short trip to Universal for Mardi Gras 2021......Feet don’t fail me now.

Bloody Mary's vary wildly depending upon the mix and the bartender. Order one at 4 different places, and you'll likely get 4 different tasting drinks. Some are terrific, others not so great unfortunately.
I've learned to ask before ordering which mix is used, so I know if I'll enjoy it.

Here's a few of the Bloody mary's you can get just down the road from me!! They really take it to the next level! And yes, that's a WHOLE CHICKEN!!!

View attachment 556959View attachment 556960View attachment 556961View attachment 556962

I don`t even know what to think about that!! Never seen a chicken like that before......

Although pizza is appealing to me right now.......lol.....heck!!! :scared1:

I don`t even know what to think about that!! Never seen a chicken like that before......

Although pizza is appealing to me right now.......lol.....heck!!! :scared1:
The entire chicken is thrown into the deep fryer ::yes::
My DH has (jokingly) said that he'd eat an old shoe if it was deep fried! At least I hope he was joking........

I swear Wisconsinites have too much time to think of the next crazy trend in the dead of winter...look what we tend to come up with!
And we wonder why we have weight issues, lol?!?!

Robbie
That cornmeal cake is calling my name!

It is Mac.....Mac......Mac.......Mac....you would love it.

I cannot tolerate too spicy either. That's too bad yours was hot, I enjoy a medium spice bloody mary...

I have had a good Bloody Mary in the past. Not something I would normally order.

I`ve never drank a bloody mary in my life......am I missing anything?? I don`t particularly like tomato juice......but I do like spice...... ::yes::

You like spicy.....I think you would have liked to sample this drink.

Bloody Mary's vary wildly depending upon the mix and the bartender. Order one at 4 different places, and you'll likely get 4 different tasting drinks. Some are terrific, others not so great unfortunately.
I've learned to ask before ordering which mix is used, so I know if I'll enjoy it.

Here's a few of the Bloody mary's you can get just down the road from me!! They really take it to the next level! And yes, that's a WHOLE CHICKEN!!!

Wow.....that‘s a Bloody Mary buffet....LOL

Wow- have never been to Mardi Gras at Universal but I think the way they are doing it this year-they could really expand on it into a "festival ala Epcot" maybe? Seems like it would be a lot of fun that way. It would be cool if they could park the floats out in between parades...
finally try a cheese curd
How have you not tried this perfec food? especially fried cheese curds lol
veggies and what looked like chicken on it.
Wow and just wow. Had to show my husband-he is like "is that a PITCHER of Bloody Mary??" We once had to wait 30 minutes for his drink as he ordered Bloody mary that practically had a steak dinner on it LOL.

View attachment 556959View attachment 556960View attachment 556961View attachment 556962
I think I was there this past Friday! It was Awesome! I will have to plan on getting the 24oz next week with DH at Universal, and submit pictures. 20210212_191538.jpg

How have you not tried this perfec food? especially fried cheese curds lol
Lucky I guess:duck: never heard of fried, that I could probably handle It’s just a textural thing that is off putting to consider. Don’t think I’ve ever seen them on any local menus here

Monday February 8th continued.

On my way out of the park I had to stop and get a cold Coke Zero to quiet the flame in the back of my throat from the Bloody Mary.

I had a nice boat ride back to RPR. Retrieved my suitcase from the SUV and went to my room.

AA8D39C3-88C3-4694-BE37-897D19D8C26A.jpeg

My room was nice and clean. The rooms here are nicely appointed with all the things you need for a comfortable stay.

AC7AC5A3-F6E0-4204-8CF6-BACE0CF88B8D.jpeg

nice touch with the waters and purse size hand sanitizer.

8FDD7086-3EEE-4350-8627-F46B91F98E2B.jpeg

Nice table.

10BF4541-522F-4DE5-AACE-64D7EE056E17.jpeg
Plenty of storage.

36B19B45-85DF-4B55-AB5B-02AAB6512597.jpeg
Plenty of ports and plug ins for electronic devices.

BAD0FCD1-6893-4837-A8AC-67B776198DD5.jpeg

They have great showers. Easy to shower little ones if you have a family. Hand held shower and stationary shower.

Plenty of towels and shampoo etc. If you need additional supplies just text them or call star services and it will be put in a plastic bag and hung on your door promptly.

There are plastic bags in a holder on the desk to put your used towels and linens in outside your door. Same for trash. The trash, towels and linens are picked up outside your door every morning.

The hallways were always clean.

Maids will not enter your room during your stay.

RPR has done a wonderful job of making it safe and comfortable for their guests at the Resort during Covid restrictions.

I ‘am so thankful to have such a nice place to go
on vacation.

Everyone is so kind and helpful.

Had a look at the pool.
B65FDE5B-A21B-48D1-9481-E439A15A9BF1.jpeg

I took a shower and settled in for a rest before meeting up with my sister at Disney Springs.

to be continued

Last edited:
Enjoying your trip report. We will be at Universal March 25/26 before heading over to Disney. I was so excited to see that Mardi Gras was going on when we are there. Keep the pictures coming!!!

Nice room local, Robo. Eh, don’t like much tomato stuff, so no Bloody Mary for me. But awesome pictures and whoa what they top drinks with now. Enjoying your report.

Enjoying your trip report. We will be at Universal March 25/26 before heading over to Disney. I was so excited to see that Mardi Gras was going on when we are there. Keep the pictures coming!!!

Welcome along on the adventure. So glad you are enjoying the pictures.
You will love Mardi Gras. The food is delicious. The floats are beautiful.

Fantastic pictures of your room Robo !
I like the view from the window

Thank you Mac......Me toooooooo.......was so nice to look out at the pool.

Nice room local, Robo. Eh, don’t like much tomato stuff, so no Bloody Mary for me. But awesome pictures and whoa what they top drinks with now. Enjoying your report.

Thanks Lynne’s so glad you are enjoying the pics and report.

Great trip report so far!!!!! I am envious of seeing the beautiful and warm weather!!!!
Great pictures too! I had heard of it, but wasn't sure that I would want to visit while that was going on. You might change my mind on that!
Your room looks very inviting. Some day I will get to have a room at that hotel ;)

I am not particularly fond of Bloody Marys....BUT....I do :love: our Canadian version which is a Caesar!!!! Very similar idea, just replace the tomato juice with a tomato/clam flavored juice. SOOOOOOOOOOO tasty!!!!! I like them with dill flavored vodka, or a bacon one that our favorite steak house makes!!!! Classic, spicy, dill, bacon...any of them will fit the bill. The more garnishes, the better!!!! Can you tell that my beverage of choice :rotfl:

I can't wait to see and hear more about your trip!!!

Great trip report so far!!!!! I am envious of seeing the beautiful and warm weather!!!!
Great pictures too! I had heard of it, but wasn't sure that I would want to visit while that was going on. You might change my mind on that!
Your room looks very inviting. Some day I will get to have a room at that hotel ;)
I am not particularly fond of Bloody Marys....BUT....I do :love: our Canadian version which is a Caesar!!!! Very similar idea, just replace the tomato juice with a tomato/clam flavored juice. SOOOOOOOOOOO tasty!!!!! I like them with dill flavored vodka, or a bacon one that our favorite steak house makes!!!! Classic, spicy, dill, bacon...any of them will fit the bill. The more garnishes, the better!!!! Can you tell that my beverage of choice :rotfl:

I can't wait to see and hear more about your trip!!!

Thank you for following along pumpkin. I think you would like Mardi Gras at Universal. You would for sure enjoy RPR.

The Caesar drink sounds interesting I would give that a try.......you have bacon flavored vodka? Awesome...for sure I would try one now.

Your room looks so inviting! I could totally take a nap there after a busy morning in the parks :D

The beds are so comfy.......I was afraid to nod off for a nap as I did not want to be late to meet my sis. Not sure if I would hear the alarm.

Monday February 8th continued

After propping up my feet and resting for awhile. I called my sister to confirm our meet up time. I wanted to leave a little early because I had some plans up my sleeve to make when I got to DTD.

It is not far at all from RPR to Downtown Disney. I always take Turkey Lake Road, but there must have been an accident up ahead because traffic was backed up for a while. I did a little maneuvering through Dr. Phillips area and back out were I needed to be.

I parked in the Green Garage. This garage is closer to the big Disney Store and Starbucks.

The Orange garage is farther away. I had been told that if you come in the morning when DTD opens the Orange garage is opened first. If you come in afternoon then they will have the Green garage open to. This has been my experience last few times I have been there. So I guess this is the normal process.

Once I parked on the 3rd floor I took the elevator down to second floor. Everyone has to go to 2nd floor for temperature check. I remember from September that the hike for the temperature check was not that bad. Not ....this time they had extended the walk significantly to reach the temperature check area.

Once cleared I headed down the escalator to find the directions to Gideon’s Bakehouse. I had heard about it on YouTube. I had heard the virtual queue could be significant at this place as it had not been open long.

After getting directions from the Security guard I made it to Gideon’s. It is right next to Morimoto’s.

DTD is massive to me. It has grown so much over the years. I know how to find the big Disney Store and a few stores around it, but not much else.

The virtual queue was 117 minutes at Gideon’s. They had someone there with a iPad taking your name and number. So I signed is up. They send you a text when your time is near.

As I was walking away I saw Art Smith’s Homecomin
restaurant. I had seen very positive reviews about it on YouTube and decided to see if I could get a reservation there for us for dinner. The sweet young lady at the reservation podium said they were pretty booked up for the evening. She asked if I had ever been there to dine before and I told her no.

She took my name and cell number and told me to come back at 8 pm and she would make sure we got in for dinner. I thanked her and told her she had made my evening.

My sister texted me to let me know she had arrived and was outside the big Disney Store. So made my way there.

We did some walking around the Disney Store and then made our way out to listen to the musical group that was on stage. I wanted to look in the Star Wars store, but first I heeded to take a rest and sat down on a bench and visited with my sister and Great-nephew. My feet were crying the blues....LOL...all the walking from earlier in the day.

There was a older couple sitting on the bench resting under an Oak tree not far from us. My sister started laughing and said she kept wondering why people were not sitting there very long. The old fella kept sweeping his hand over his head. My sister looked up in the tree and there was a squirrel picking nuts off the tree and throwing them on this guy and his wife.

I was ready to go to the Star Wars store and I walked by the guy and his wife and there were nuts all over the bench and the ground around them. I asked him if he could see the squirrel just above them throwing the nuts down on them.

He started laughing and said he thought the squirrel didn’t care much for them sitting on the bench under his tree. I told him the squirrel had already chased off a few other folks on the bench.

It was so funny. I have never seen a squirrel being so territorial. I looked to see if it could be a female protecting her nest, but I did not see one.

I did a peruse through the Star Wars Store and did not see anything new. My son is a big fan and so is our great-granddaughter.

I got the text to return to Gideon’s so off I went. I called my sister and asked her to meet me there.

Wow the 117 minutes went quickly. Once you return you give the person with the iPad your name. You go stand in line and the line moves very quickly from there. They give you a card with the menu on it.

948AF8A7-5F40-4301-BCE0-EA0CF147CB57.jpeg

5ED73D23-6B64-4404-AD4E-2D30010A3183.jpeg

I absolutely loved the pictures on the wall of the little Vampires.
7C9AED2C-A7A1-40AB-A817-E69A64F4D90F.jpeg

This was the cutest one with the one fang hanging over his lip.
39E1B160-9E36-4F71-8DD3-4C0DB3DAD5E0.jpeg

AEE2457E-0290-49E3-8353-2C8E587D5A23.jpeg

399FB845-64F6-447A-9DB2-D08DEE42C1D6.jpeg

EC7C8123-67FA-40D0-AD82-E6DDA5F33F65.jpeg

There is a menu on the wall too.
C4F464FC-F099-4DEF-8ADE-B805377EF475.jpeg

This place is like a creepy little haunted library. I loved it.

It is small inside and there is only enough space for a few people at a time.

Last edited:
The old DTD has really evolved into something special!
Can't wait to hear about your Homecoming meal!

The cookies
13B1B6F6-7E2D-4BB1-A2EA-AA45BA2DC3B9.jpeg

75D6C04E-8A7D-444D-97FF-BD37F6FA0617.jpeg

312D9EF8-1CA4-4A4B-B04F-100F4906D095.jpeg

4872A8C5-2CBC-436A-BA03-0F1BD30A8BEE.jpeg

877E7D7A-D72F-404D-84CA-F7CD0229AE81.jpeg

This cookie has hot spices on it. If I remember correctly they add a new cookie for the month each month. Then it’s gone. This was the cookie for February. Must be popular as it has a two cookie limit on it.
3A256E22-4C65-488D-B150-A55510803B4B.jpeg

The cookies are big. I bought 2 Pistachio Toffee Chocolate Chip and 1 Original Chocolate Chip. My sister bought her grandson the Cookies and Cream.

If you are buying a single cookie they will bag it for you. If you are buying more they will ask if you want a box. Take the box. It will keep the cookies better.

2726AD33-A318-4ADF-8949-5F416F564B92.jpeg

533AA095-3ECC-4CB8-96A0-68E28C8C3EA0.jpeg

The cookies are wrapped individually and put in the box. I had plans to bring my cookies home on Thursday. So they were bound for the refrigerator in my room at RPR.

I will fast forward on the cookies a little. They kept fine in the refrigerator. I had a nephew coming in for a visit Thursday afternoon after I returned home from Universal. I knew he would enjoy some cookies.

We all sampled the cookies. Honestly you could only eat about an eighth of a cookie. They are very rich and the best cookie I have ever had. It is the perfect balance of sweet and salty. These cookies are delicious.

After being in the refrigerator you can cut them easily.

In the summer heat I could see these melting quickly.

to be continued

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter