Land Border Opening?

Careful people, we don't want another thread shut down. It seems that once we start comparing numbers on both sides of the border we get flagged as becoming political. I think it's safe to say that everyone, no matter where in the world they live, is tired. Today marks one year since COVID-19 was declared a pandemic. We all want to get to other side of this and back to some semblance of whatever our new normal will be. We all wish things were moving faster, that vaccines were happening like in the movies (you know, vaccine is developed, poof the entire world is saved in the last 5 minutes) but it's not like that.

How so? Our cases are way lower than in the US. Yes our vaccinations have been slow, but they'll ramp up very quickly. It will be a lot easier to vaccinate 25 million adults vs 290 (ballparking eligible adult populations - feel free to correct - and of course there will be the anti-vaxxers). I'm 39 and got my first dose last evening, my wife gets her first next Thursday. Only symptom so far is feels like someone gave me a real good punch in the arm. We're in the NWT and any willing adult 18 and up can get it now.

Because they have a higher percentage vaccinated than us, better access to vaccines and because our decline in case numbers has plateaued, while theirs is continuing to drop. Your experience in the NWT is nothing like what the rest of Canada is facing. Here in NB they're still a couple/few weeks away from starting to vaccinate people 85+. We're many, MANY months away from having the general population vaccinated.

Because they have a higher percentage vaccinated than us, better access to vaccines and because our decline in case numbers has plateaued, while theirs is continuing to drop. Your experience in the NWT is nothing like what the rest of Canada is facing. Here in NB they're still a couple/few weeks away from starting to vaccinate people 85+. We're many, MANY months away from having the general population vaccinated.

My last reply to this thread as it seems to be getting heated. I have travelled, and know what it looks like in Alberta hospitals, it’s not nice at all. The US cases have plateaued as well and 7 day average for cases: 3026 for Canada vs 63273 for US and deaths: 33 for Canada vs 3091 for the US. Not exactly tied to the population differences between the two of us. We are doing great and hopefully it stays that way. Stay safe folks and keep doing your part.

Despite all the negative right now, I am still optimistic that we will be out of it by late summer on both sides. Just imagine the day where we can actually cross the border freely without fear and great difficulty. I do really believe it will be this Fall. It has to be :) Let’s keep planning those Disney vacations in the meantime, or at least just driving over for a day of shopping at Target and dinner at the Olive Garden. I am also ready to welcome Americans here, this is all a good thing for all. Here is to brighter days ahead :daisy:

I wish! I’m in Ontario, over 65, and hoping like heck to get my first shot in June. For a lot of us, a first dose is months off. Second dose another 4 months after.
I was just speaking to a friend in Ontario this morning via email. She is in the 60-65 age group and told me Ontario is starting to vaccinate 60-65 with the AZ vaccine and she already has an appointment. In March.

I was just speaking to a friend in Ontario this morning via email. She is in the 60-65 age group and told me Ontario is starting to vaccinate 60-65 with the AZ vaccine and she already has an appointment. In March.
only in some health units under specific set of hoops to jump thru. We have a bunch of doses that expire April 2nd and are being given to healthy adults 60-64 only, (some reports have some doses going to family members of LTC workers) and it's not sure how this will take place. Sadly my FIL is 96, lives alone and has yet to get even his first shot. Once the short dated doses are gone the people in that age segment will be put back in line. Since each health unit is in charge of how vaccines are being administered there are stark differences throughout the entire province that's really causing frustration anger and distrust. I'm technically ahead of most of the people who will be getting those shots because I have preexisting conditions but I'm not upset about it. Get this party moving! This will happen, just hard to be patient when we're in the middle of something this large.

My 97 year old grandmother (who lives alone and is still very much independent) was finally able to make her appointment today for next week.

I was growing very impatient these last few weeks, just wanting her to be able to get vaccinated. And yet, she did not feel this same frustration and simply said “let others who need it more than I do get it first”. And also “the old people need it more than I do” (which made me laugh :laughing:)

Anyway - It is a good reminder to me that my time will come and to be as patient as I can. My grandmother’s generation has been through some horrific experiences in their lifetime which I think gives them some extra special perspective on this.

The light at the end of the tunnel is within sight. We are almost there !

Back to the thread topic.. articles are saying they want border open by July 4th I find it interesting the president said last night a sense of normal by July 4.. maybe it’s just an easy date to pick but hmm
I can totally see that. I also read something similar last night but then in the same article it said the States plans to have vaccines for everyone by end of May and Canada by end of September and it will depend on OUR progress. So then back to the pace of vaccinations it is darn it. Lol
No matter how we slice it we are behind others. However, I am still hopeful that the pace will pick up and we’ll be in much better shape earlier than Fall.
It’s hard to be patient when you can see the light at the end of the tunnel and talks of another lockdown looming in Ontario.

I think it’s time that we are told what it will take to open the borders. “We are waiting for X % of people to be vaccinated on both sides“ etc. It would go a long way to start giving the public some information. I’m hopeful that the powers that be will be a little more forthcoming soon.

An interesting positive sign... I watch a lot of YouTube videos.. way more than tv. I usually skip through the ads, even the Disney ones. There has been a ton of Disney ads the last week telling people to start planning again when they’re ready on Disney.ca
So signs of an eventual return to WDW are beginning.

I think it’s time that we are told what it will take to open the borders etc. “We are waiting for X % of people to be vaccinated on both sides“ etc. It would go a long way to start giving the public some information.

An interesting positive sign... I watch a lot of YouTube videos.. way more than tv. I always skip through the ads, even the Disney ones. There has been a ton of Disney ads the last week telling people to start planning again when they’re ready on Disney.ca
So signs of an eventual return to WDW are beginning.
Yes!!! I agree wholeheartedly... just tell us what you are waiting for. I find this has been an issue in Canada in general, at first we were told they want to flatten the curve. Ever since nobody has any idea at what point do they lift restrictions etc - when cases are zero or...? Same thing with the borders. If they know that they need both sides vaccinated to a certain % first and we won’t be there til Fall, just tell the people. Instead of extending month by month. It’s the lack of transparency that is frustrating. I am also loving your comment re: Disney ads. So so excited :moped:

Despite all the negative right now, I am still optimistic that we will be out of it by late summer on both sides. Just imagine the day where we can actually cross the border freely without fear and great difficulty. I do really believe it will be this Fall. It has to be :) Let’s keep planning those Disney vacations in the meantime, or at least just driving over for a day of shopping
My gut is telling me that fall ( late September ) everything will look totally different for travel. I feel like either side could push to have the border open sooner rather than later, but there are just too many unanswered questions about reopening the boarder yet.
think it’s time that we are told what it will take to open the borders. “We are waiting for X % of people to be vaccinated on both sides“ etc. It would go a long way to start giving the public some information. I’m hopeful that the powers that be will be a little more forthcoming soon.
I think many of us are thinking and wishing that they would just make a stance and be transparent. but it is wishful thinking that our government will give us those details.

Fall would be great but I am just hoping for sometime before early March 2022!
I'm with you! If the border opens I want to book for February 2022. I've started applications for passports for everyone in the hopes that the border will soon be open again.

My gut is telling me that fall ( late September ) everything will look totally different for travel.
My sense is a bit earlier ie late July or early August. I don't know about totally different for travel but probably quarantine hotels gone and rapid tests only. Also just my gut and very dependent on steady flow and uptake of vaccines. Also don't underestimate the power of the snowbird lobby. Many will not do another winter in Canada and must get back to their homes in Florida for a physical check and to get needed repairs and maintenance done. At least in Ontario and Quebec, our winter has been wonderfully mild and less snow this year. While we've seen a few renegade snowbirds go south, the majority have stayed in Canada this winter.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter