• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Last Minute onboard charge

AZMermaid

DIS Veteran
Hi! So on our last cruise (Dream October 2022) we made a last minute charge. I want to say a drink after 10 the last night. I guess they had already closed out our bill and when we went to get off the next morning, we had to go to guest services to settle our like $7 bill. We asked, it wasn't a thing where our card declined, it was just after they had run it. So we had to wait in the disembark line twice. It was fine, but annoying! This time we are trying to make an 11:00 flight (I know. It got changed 😭) so we’d really rather have that not happen again. Is there a set time they close out the bills? Or should we just not plan to make any charges say after dinner?

DCL has twice charged my credit card (on file) after disembarkation for additional charges that occurred after they initially closed out the folio. So as long as you have a credit card on file, I doubt you need to settle your bill in person, even if you’re asked. They will find a way.. to make you pay,

Guest services is open 24-hours, so if it’s in your conscience you can always settle after you e completed your evening.

Did you look at your charges before you headed out? If you didn’t then, do it next time. If you know you have a late charge, check it in the morning. If necessary, send someone to Guest Services to settle.

I’m surprised they didn’t just put it on your card.

I wouldn’t stop from enjoying something because of that incidence. You are now aware of what to look for.

Yes we looked. We didn’t catch that it wasn’t on there. The bill was big enough that it was t obvious an under ten dollar drink was missing 🤣 He even went to guest services to return his extension cord that morning and they didn’t say anything about the bill. For sure we will ask this time!

We were at the exit of the ship and when my husband scanned his card/ it beeped and they would not let him disembark. I cant remember of the rest of us could. But he could not.

Last edited:

This happens to us every cruise and they just run a separate charge for the last minute purchases. Surprised they didn’t handle your charge that way - sounds like something unusual happened. Bet it will be handled the normal way next time.

We were disembarking the fantasy last year when the man in line in front of us wasn’t allowed to leave the ship. When they scanned his card, the unpaid charges showed up. They pulled him out of line and back on the ship. I thought they just scanned your cards to make sure everyone was off the ship. They are also checking to make sure all charges are paid!

Bars and restaurants usually post their bills when they see fit.

If they post before your folio is closed, business as usual, you will be billed as expected with your on-board account.

If they post after your folio is closed, but before you disembark, you will be denied disembarking and have to settle with Guest Services. Guest Services might notice and proactively bill your credit card on file, if any, to prevent the hassle.

If they post after your folio is closed, and after you disembark, they'll use the credit card on file. That can happens with bars, and also if you happen to “displace” some items in your staterooms, such as bed linens or those lovely towels. In this case, you can email DCL to ask for the final folio.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter