Latest Artist Point and Whispering Canyon Rumors

As many guests have mentioned, Artist Point offered a character breakfast well into the 1990s. I have no objection. With the cabins, I can understand offering a character breakfast without using a boat launch to the Contemporary. But a character dinner would strip WL of a good restaurant, and right now every deluxe resort except the Polynesian has one

I will be so disappointed if AP becomes a character meal at dinner. Our kids are grown, and while we love the characters, we enjoy a different dining experience than a character meal. Usually they are filled with more children..understandably, and noisier. Perfect for a character interaction, not so great for a nice dinner with my husband or friends where we would like to hear ourselves talk.

If AP becomes a character buffet for dinner (I have no problem with a character buffet here for breakfast and/or lunch) and the main change at WCC is to simply tone down the antics (without substantially improving the food and service), then the WL will easily be the weakest deluxe resort for dining.

Seems like such a disservice to what is otherwise such a beautiful resort (one of my three favorites at WDW for theming) that IMO is deserving as any to have a signature dining experience.

And it takes away one of the truly great and relaxing adult experiences at WDW (taking a boat over to WL and having a quiet, high quality meal).

The characters themselves don't cheapen the quality of food; it's the mindset that goes with it. They won't offer Signature quality food (granted, that's a debatable topic to be sure pirate:) AND also pay to have extra characters. The most likely idea for a character meal there would undoubtedly be a buffet or all-you-care-to-eat skillets (a la Akershus)--the only buffet that comes close to having superior food is the CG Brunch, and that starts at $80 pp. Now, if Disney plans to offer that sort of quality and characters, then I suspect the price would be north of $100 pp. That won't happen. Ergo, the food quality is going to be more like 1900 Park Fare which, while solid, isn't terribly unique or exceptional. No, if they wind up having three meals, all with characters, then I expect the food quality to be average at best; otherwise, it won't be cost effective.

I find it a shame that Disney has not looked into a meet and greet at the end of a signature meal with rare theme specific characters. BOG could have been that opportunity, Bell and Beast at the same time to greet at the end of a pretty nice dinign experience without the chaos that a character mea entails.

AP could have a character meal for breakfast and lunch, but keep a nice dining experience in the eveing and add a rare meet and greet at the end of the meal. If they want to avoid the cupcake people they could have a lovely 4 or 5 course meal, keep the standards up, and the cost appropriate to the meal. I woud pay for a good meal tha is not a cluster, that has excellent meal choices and service, and adds a little lagniappe at the end.

Now that people have been mentioning Copper Creek Villas, this suddenly makes sense! I've heard they have been having trouble selling the CCV memberships, and a character meal might help them market to families with young kids who want to be near Magic Kingdom. The other three MK resorts all have a character meal.

Whatever the reasons for the restaurant changes may or may not be, it has nothing to do with CCV sales. CCV is selling points at a very brisk pace and may be completely sold out by the end of 2019 at the current rate with or without character meals.

The characters themselves don't cheapen the quality of food; it's the mindset that goes with it. They won't offer Signature quality food (granted, that's a debatable topic to be sure pirate:) AND also pay to have extra characters. The most likely idea for a character meal there would undoubtedly be a buffet or all-you-care-to-eat skillets (a la Akershus)--the only buffet that comes close to having superior food is the CG Brunch, and that starts at $80 pp. Now, if Disney plans to offer that sort of quality and characters, then I suspect the price would be north of $100 pp. That won't happen. Ergo, the food quality is going to be more like 1900 Park Fare which, while solid, isn't terribly unique or exceptional. No, if they wind up having three meals, all with characters, then I expect the food quality to be average at best; otherwise, it won't be cost effective.
You nailed it!

To reiterate, I have no issues with a character meal for breakfast, and I would even grudgingly be okay with the same for lunch. To denude the Lodge of a Signature dining experience at dinner would set a dangerous precedent with both deluxe resorts and DVC resorts. Although the money to do so would be more than Disney is willing to pay, turning Geyser Point into a Signature could have the same intended effect that it appears they're trying for--more seats filled with, well, seats so to speak.

Humor aside, I've already sent off a couple of pointed emails to Disney and have received a reply to expect a phone call. Again, as with most things Disney, I feel the shrug of Goliath shaking off a gnat, but I still intend to press my point as long as possible. And, yes, I did preface the emails by saying that I realized it was an unconfirmed rumor at this point; however, I also ended said emails by quipping, "tell me I'm wrong." We'll see.

@Nancyg56 Nice word lagniappe! Haven't seen that one in awhile! :thumbsup2 And I agree with your option, too.

Humor aside, I've already sent off a couple of pointed emails to Disney and have received a reply to expect a phone call. Again, as with most things Disney, I feel the shrug of Goliath shaking off a gnat, but I still intend to press my point as long as possible. And, yes, I did preface the emails by saying that I realized it was an unconfirmed rumor at this point; however, I also ended said emails by quipping, "tell me I'm wrong." We'll see.

Would you mind letting us know where you sent the e-mails?

I, too, would like to contact them regarding this rumored change (maybe if enough of us express our opinions, we can persuade them to preserve a signature dining experience at the Wilderness Lodge).

I agree with all of you, a character breakfast and lunch at AP would be fantastic, but to lose the Signature dinner really limits the dining options for a "deluxe" resort.

We have reservations at AP next month. I hope that they are able to sustain the quality until the end. My fear is that since the ship may be going down, there may be less incentive to keep the Signature level. I hope I am wrong because we have been very much looking forward to this! Anyone dine there in the last month?

And it just seems that the can't quite nail down the dining options at WL. First they have bumbled back-and-forth with Geyser Point and limited the menu and interesting options, and they also limited Roaring Forks and then they almost got rid of the antics at WCC and now they may get rid of the Signature in its entirety? It's a lot of changes without a clear direction.

To reiterate, I have no issues with a character meal for breakfast, and I would even grudgingly be okay with the same for lunch. To denude the Lodge of a Signature dining experience at dinner would set a dangerous precedent with both deluxe resorts and DVC resorts. Although the money to do so would be more than Disney is willing to pay, turning Geyser Point into a Signature could have the same intended effect that it appears they're trying for--more seats filled with, well, seats so to speak.

@Nancyg56 Nice word lagniappe! Haven't seen that one in awhile! :thumbsup2 And I agree with your option, too.

As much as I love Geyser Point for the views it offers, the fact they never walled it in from the get go, but offering floor to ceiling windows screwed them royally.

Then again, no one has an issue with the Polynesian not having a signature restaurant, unless you consider the Aloha Dining Show a "true signature"

As much as I love Geyser Point for the views it offers, the fact they never walled it in from the get go, but offering floor to ceiling windows screwed them royally.

Then again, no one has an issue with the Polynesian not having a signature restaurant, unless you consider the Aloha Dining Show a "true signature"
One of the reasons why I haven't absolutely loved my stays at Poly in the past is because of the dining. They are lacking a true Signature. But lots of people love Ohana. And we could simply walk to GF. It's right there.

The difference between the Poly and WL vis-a-vis Signatures is that the Poly sits on the monorail and has easy access to them, or you can even walk over to GF for V&A's, Citrico's, and Narcoossee's.

Would you mind letting us know where you sent the e-mails?

I, too, would like to contact them regarding this rumored change (maybe if enough of us express our opinions, we can persuade them to preserve a signature dining experience at the Wilderness Lodge).
Here you go:

wdw.gm.wildernesslodge@disney.com
george.kalogridis@disney.com

I heard back from a John Raley at Disney (guest.services@disneyworld.com) who said they wished to talk with me. I'm not holding my breath.

One of the reasons why I haven't absolutely loved my stays at Poly in the past is because of the dining. They are lacking a true Signature. But lots of people love Ohana. And we could simply walk to GF. It's right there.

I fell out of love with the Polynesian during our last trip when the hurricane hit. Being stuck in the room really allowed me to see how run down the rooms have gotten.

I fell out of love with the Polynesian during our last trip when the hurricane hit. Being stuck in the room really allowed me to see how run down the rooms have gotten.
Oh man! That's tough! We were stuck at AKL during Matthew and that wasn't bad at all because we could still go to the lobby, etc. I went down with a big glass of wine and met Minnie. Being stuck in the room the whole time, that's pretty :eek:

Oh man! That's tough! We were stuck at AKL during Matthew and that wasn't bad at all because we could still go to the lobby, etc. I went down with a big glass of wine and met Minnie. Being stuck in the room the whole time, that's pretty :eek:

Yeah, me and my GF weren't all to thrilled with the Polynesian handed the hurricane. We were in Samoa which is a 2 second walk from the main lobby, but they didn't want anybody out there and we were forced to stay in our rooms. That's all fine and dandy, but when I can't use any of the accommodations of the resort, even at the "Hurricane Rate" of 40% off, it was still $100 too much a night when we came from the Pop earlier in the week and had one of the nicely redone rooms for less than $100. Also it didn't help that our room took in water being on the first floor.

Last edited:
Had AP on my list for a long trip in January. Ill scratch that. It will now be Flying Fish Dinner, Monsieur Pauls Dinner, Cali Grille Dinner, Yachtsman Dinner, Morimoto Dinner, HBD Dinner, Jiko Dinner, Il Mulino replacing Artist Point for DInner, Narcoosees Brunch, Homecomin Brunch, Castle Breakfast, and Trattoria breakfast. May drop Citricos in instead of Mulino, actually considered V&A but thats got a hefty price tag.
Narcossees Brunch is gone. CG has one though.

I wonder if the restaurants will "swap"? From what I have read, WCC is toning it down because the noise bothers guests staying above it and those in the lobby. Maybe they will put WCC where AP is now since it is enclosed. They could theme it as Woody's Round Up from Toy Story... then you could have the antics WCC is known for and characters to boot - Woody, Jesse, the Prospector... they could even keep the same menu. Then AP could go in the WCC space as a quieter signature experience.

Whatever happens, we will be staying at CC in January and I can't wait to check it out! It's our first time staying at WL and we are so excited!

I would be shocked if those rumours pan out. Characters added to WCC, that I can see, but AP? That seems really far fetched, especially for dinner. Maybe adding a breakfast/lunch option? That doesn't seem so far out of the realm of possibility. Can't wait to see how it all pans out though!

I agree. Rather than try to make adjustments to improve the restaurant experience, and to add revenue with the addition of a Character breakfast, they toss the baby out with the bathwater and go all character all day. I cannot see how this will improve revenue in the longterm.
Character meals have shown, time and time again, that they are money makers. Even all day character meals.

And AP has shown that they have numerous empty tables, throughout the day. Reading that other posters were "thinking about adding AP to their next trip" doesn't pay the bills. Disney needs bottoms in those seats.

Keep in mind, if they tried to keep it signature but added a hard to find character, like BOG, it would have to be prix fixe. Otherwise we would have numerous tables of water and all sharing one dessert.

Character meals have shown, time and time again, that they are money makers. Even all day character meals.

And AP has shown that they have numerous empty tables, throughout the day. Reading that other posters were "thinking about adding AP to their next trip" doesn't pay the bills. Disney needs bottoms in those seats.

Keep in mind, if they tried to keep it signature but added a hard to find character, like BOG, it would have to be prix fixe. Otherwise we would have numerous tables of water and all sharing one dessert.

Agree. Characters put butts in seats, and they're not going to have a character meal that's not fixed price...for the reasons you stated.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter