• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

"Let the Memories Begin:" opportunity for free ticket or FPs?

Jess6001

Hey there, Mr. Grump Gills. You know what you gott
So now that we know the 2011 theme, "Let the Memories Begin," what do you guys think the chances are of having some type of opportunity to get a free ticket or FPs? For the past two years, they have had a way to do this (with the Birthday promotion and GAD). Do you think this is something they'll do in 2011?

They mentioned nothing of the sort as part of the "big" announcement, so it seems unlikely.

Who Knows What EVIL Lurks In The Heart Of Disney Marketing?!

When Disney feels ready to implement their next promotion they will do so. If other recent promotions have been any indication, for about the first month nobody will really understand it and the Marketing people will not have thought out all the ramifications.

Free tickets? How does this work?

If you met the terms of the promotion (in 2009, you were at WDW/DL on your actual birthday; in 2010, you volunteered for a qualifying organization), you got a voucher for a free one-day base ticket that also had to be used within the terms of the promotion.

Since no promotion has been announced for 2011, and its too late to take part in the 2010 promotion, I wouldn't worry about it.

I was only asking b/c we just started traveling to Disney during last two years after a long break. Both years, we were lucky enough to get involved in their promotions for the free tickets (we went for my sister's bday in 2009 and did GAD in 2010). Since we hadn't been paying attention before the last two years to Disney promos, I wasn't sure if this was a common theme now every year. It seems it's not. :( Oh well, it was fun while it lasted!

I was only asking b/c we just started traveling to Disney during last two years after a long break. Both years, we were lucky enough to get involved in their promotions for the free tickets (we went for my sister's bday in 2009 and did GAD in 2010). Since we hadn't been paying attention before the last two years to Disney promos, I wasn't sure if this was a common theme now every year. It seems it's not. :( Oh well, it was fun while it lasted!

Nope, just the last two, during the "What Will You Celebrate?" theme. Prior to that was the Year Of A Million Dreams, which actually lasted a couple of years, where they randomly gave away prizes to guests in the parks ranging from ear hats and lanyards to a night's stay in the castle and DVC memberships...

Nothing terribly special in the new theme that compares...

Yeah I agree this new theme seems pretty lame so far (although the commercials are cute!). I hope they come out with some more special things they will be doing besides putting the pictures of guests on the castle in some way.

I was contacted by Disney in reference to them using a photo I submitted to the "Let The Memories Begin" site. They had me fill out some release forms, and nowhere in any of the communication was there any mention of a free ticket like the previous promotions.

They did reference a set of Lithographs that would be given for participation, as well as any copies of whatever advertisements they use my photo in.

Below is a snippet of the email:

I’m talking about fun, family memories such as those in the photo of your visit to a Disney park, which you posted on our “Let the Memories Begin” website recently. This photo has made Disney’s short list for the project; and we’d be very interested in getting your permission in writing to use it, since it’s possible it might be picked for the commercials.

Those who participate will get a special copy of whatever Disney creates for this project, if their video or photo is in fact used (for example, if your photo is used for a magazine ad, you will receive a special copy of that ad). But even if your photo is not used, Disney will give each person who participates a set of 5 lithographs of classic Disney characters especially created for this project and illustrated by Disney artist Ducky Williams. These lithos are not available anywhere else and are suitable for framing.

So there you have it, no free days for this promo. But upload those memories - anyone can be chosen!!! I will post updates as to whether or not we make it into an advert!!!

Ok, so I'm confused...A representative emailed us from Disney and said they saw our video on you tube and wanted permission to use it in their upcoming 'let the memories begin' campaign. We were ecstatic and filled out all the releases immediately that they sent us. This was a few weeks ago. Today we received signed Disney lithographs of all of the characters in the mail from Disney. There was a note with them saying this was a thank you from them for participating in their campaign. They are amazing lithographs, but now I'm wondering if they passed on our stuff and that was the Consolation prize. Curious to see if the lady who was also contacted by Disney has an update.

Ok, so I'm confused...A representative emailed us from Disney and said they saw our video on you tube and wanted permission to use it in their upcoming 'let the memories begin' campaign. We were ecstatic and filled out all the releases immediately that they sent us. This was a few weeks ago. Today we received signed Disney lithographs of all of the characters in the mail from Disney. There was a note with them saying this was a thank you from them for participating in their campaign. They are amazing lithographs, but now I'm wondering if they passed on our stuff and that was the Consolation prize. Curious to see if the lady who was also contacted by Disney has an update.

What were you expecting? I'm not aware of anything they are giving back on this promotion...

What were you expecting? I'm not aware of anything they are giving back on this promotion...

No, I didn't expect anything. Trust me I was thrilled with the lithographs and didn't even know we were getting them. I was wondering only if that gift means that they passed on our video for the campaign. That's what I meant by consolation prize. I'm so excited to even be considered, just wondering if or when we will ever have a definite answer.

No, I didn't expect anything. Trust me I was thrilled with the lithographs and didn't even know we were getting them. I was wondering only if that gift means that they passed on our video for the campaign. That's what I meant by consolation prize. I'm so excited to even be considered, just wondering if or when we will ever have a definite answer.

I haven't heard of them giving ANYTHING in exchange, so I wouldn't consider it a consolation prize!

Nah, I dont think so. Disney got tired giving away a lot of prizes and gifts to families since 2007 with YOAMD.

I think what Gidge is trying to say is she wonders if she will be seeing herself on an advertisement soon. I don't think she is looking for anything more, just wondering where or if her video was being used. :goodvibes

Some people may see them being on the tv as a better prize than litghographs. Maybe that is where the consollation prize is coming from.

I also received the lithographs for being a "participant". When I submitted my releases, the contact told me that she was sending everything over to Disney. Untimately, they choose which photos/videos they will use. She told me that I would be contacted if Disney chose my photo to actually be used. This promo runs for the entire year, and we are only in early January - I am not counting myself out, and am hoping that they do indeed use my photo in some sort of ad.

I imagine they choose way more photos/videos than they need so they can make the best ads possible.

Good luck, I hope they use your video - maybe we will be in the same ad!!! Also, your signed release stated that you would receive a copy of whatever advertisement they may use your photo/video in. You never know, one day you may get a surprise in the mail!!

:banana:

I think what Gidge is trying to say is she wonders if she will be seeing herself on an advertisement soon. I don't think she is looking for anything more, just wondering where or if her video was being used. :goodvibes

Some people may see them being on the tv as a better prize than litghographs. Maybe that is where the consollation prize is coming from.

Exactly what I meant! It would actually be my son that would be in it....which would be the greatest gift ever. I've got my fingers crossed. I'll let you guys know if/when I ever hear anything.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter