Let's do some JIYI speculation

All Aboard

Por favor mantengan se alejado de las puertas
Screamscape is reporting that JIYI will reopen as Figment's Journey into Imagination. The report is that the storyline will be that Figment has escaped (escaped from what, I don't know) and is running loose around the Imagination Institute. It's our job to find and capture him.

Screamscape is also reporting that it will open next summer.

That seems like a pretty tight timeline to me. Any more "insider" type info, CM musings or plain old speculation?

I know I'd love to see Figment back. I loved the original Journey and hated it when they changed the ride. Hopefully what you read is true :-).

That seems like a pretty tight timeline to me.

Not quite insider info, but I believe they are motivating the work crews by threatening them with videos of JIYI. :earseek: :earseek: :earseek: :earseek:

:D

When it was originally closed in October there was a post stating that the schedule opening was June per a CM. I miss Figment and will be glad that he's back.

I know it's under the direction of some of the best Imagineers, with Tony Baxter advising. This time they really want to do it right. Word I have is that it will open around August of 2001.

Also - "One Little Spark" will return, and the cars will still be red. They're spending the mone on the important stuff.

I'm just worried that no matter what they do, nobody will be happy. JII is missed, not only, because JIYI sucks.

When I was at Epcot last, an Imagineer that I sat next to at Blast! said two things. One, JIYI would close in September (October, so he was a month off.) Two he said that it would re-open in June. Since it was delayed one month because of the WTC attacks, I think it will reopen in late June, early July.

I think it sounds like a neat idea. I hope this comes to pass. And, I'd love to see the theme music come back-it's such a great little song! Ya' gotta love that Figment's coming back.

Any improvement over the current JIYI has to be good. This is the only time in 29 years of going to WDW that I was actually glad to see an attraction close!

The report is that the storyline will be that Figment has escaped (escaped from what, I don't know) and is running loose around the Imagination Institute.

He got loose from the accountanteers office

It's our job to find and capture him.

Are the cars armed with Virtual Pencils & Ledger Sheets ala Buzz? :)

I'm just worried that no matter what they do, nobody will be happy. JII is missed, not only, because JIYI sucks.

While I agree with you YoHo (Using the star wars principal) I have faith in Tony Baxter. We'll see what happens.

:)

I'm glad to hear that Figment is making a more noticable return. I just wish that the opening of JIYI was taking place before or during my vacation with Piglet203 in May, since she loves Figment.

Mickey76 :)

On October 8 I took a wonderful picture at Epcot. (This picture will eventually be posted to http://www.friendsoffigment.org ) It was of the wait time board and it said: "Imagination Ride Closed". JudySue and I went over to it and talked to a manager. He said usually people show up on the day an attraction closes to complain/protest the closing. We told him in this situation the Guests had won, and we were leading the group coming to celebrate. We wanted to know when we would be issued the sledgehammers. We think this shook him up a bit. :p What was real nice was when we were at Disneyana this year and at one time four Imagineers were on stage all wearing their "Friends of Figment" buttons! Most accurate word currently is some time in August. The only thing we are not sure of is Dreamfinder, but "One Little Spark" will be back.:D :D ;) ;)

When we were at Disney earlier this month, I paid particular attention to the music being played around the different parks, etc. What a surprise when we entered the Marketplace area of DD and not only was the JII song being played as part of the loop, but it was a "vocal" version. My husband just about flipped when I started singing along with it. Just couldn't help myself!
Ever since they CHANGED the attraction, when we went back to FW, there were no lines to get in. Each trip we go into the gift shop and buy whatever Figment stuff we can. There's less of a selection and not all the T-shirts are available in adult sizes, but we are "voting" with our choice.

Viva le Figment. (my French teacher would be horrified, but I don't know how to spell it anymore):o

No Dreamfinder, No Dreamship, No Dreamport. That is for certain.
As far as people not riding the new ride because it's not the original, I think that's silly. If it's good, people will ride it. People were upset at the loss of Mr Toad, but pooh draws many more people than Toad did. You'll hear a few nut jobs say "I refuse to go because they changed it..." but I don't think they speak for the majority. They've probably never tried FastPass, never seen HISTA (because it's not Captain EO), never seen Captain EO (because it's not Magic Journeys) and never seen Alien Encounter (because it's not Mission to Mars). "We fear all change." Geesh... give me a break.

I've always believed in giving almost anyone the benefit of the doubt. Was brought up to believe that I'd never know unless I tried something whether I'd like it or not.
I was prepared to like the new JIYI and we were there right after it re-opened. My husband and two sons and I. Quite an age span. None of us like it and none went back for a second serving.
We don't like all the new stuff but we didn't like all the old. Truthfully I never saw Captain EO.
But I thought Figment and Dreamfinder were different --- unique --- unlike most characters, they didn't fit a mold.
Anyway, we'll wait and see what happens. Hope it's an improvement over the last "improvement" ??
Always like to read your replies, Safari Steve, but disagree with this one. ;)

I agree with Safari Steve, that all the "changed" rides should be given a chance. The problem is, that most of the rides that have been changed are not as interesting or as imaginative as the older rides. Spaceship Earth, for instance, has lost some of it's charm without "Tomorrow's Child", and Cronkite's narration. The JIYI is a joke. Why change a ride if you are not going to improve it?
For me, some of the "old classic" Disney rides are like an old, favorite movie, that can be watched over & over. People enjoy playing along and singing along with these rides, and are not pleased when changes are made for the sake of change. Disney magic for a lot of us is as much nostalgia as anything else.

Sandy, I can't say that I see where your post and mine disagree. I didn't say that all changes have been good, just that we should all give new things the benefit of the doubt. Everything "old" was at one time new, after all.

I didn't think the new JIYI ride was horrible, it just paled in comparision to Test Track. There is only so much time to spend in the parks, and, at Epcot, I love Test Track and walking around the world showcase. I kind of just do the other rides (JIYI, etc) while waiting for my Test Track Fast Pass to become valid.

From what I was reading, I thought the JIYI was going to be the worst ride I ever went on. It wasn't that bad. Of course, I only went on it once the whole time I was at WDW.

I sure hope they put together a good ride. Bringing back Figment is a step in the right direction.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter