Life After Marathons: A Running/barre3/Coffee/Life Journal

We also went and bought new shoes this weekend. My husband feels your shoe pain. He always runs in New Balance and of course they changed the shoe styles up. He must have had to try on 8 different pairs. He did finally find one he liked. Meanwhile I only run in Pegasus so I was done in 5 minutes as they had a pair on clearance that fit great although they are bright orange.

Yay new shoes! I'm kinda torn between being happy that I'm not the only one who has to try on so many pairs and sad for your husband because that's a lot of shoes. But I'm glad you both ended up finding good shoes!

Finding the right pair of shoes is so important and often so difficult. Once I land on the model I like, I stock up on as many pairs as I can. Shoekicker is a great place to do this now that race expos are few and far between.

https://shoekicker.com/

Finding the right pair of shoes is so important and often so difficult. Once I land on the model I like, I stock up on as many pairs as I can. Shoekicker is a great place to do this now that race expos are few and far between.

https://shoekicker.com/

Spoken like someone who isn't dealing with the space constraints of a Manhattan apartment :).
I try not to stock up on shoes because *space*, but once I find a model I like I usually keep buying it for as long as I can find it available online. So thank you for sharing that link, because it's easier to search one website than all the websites when I'm looking for shoes.

Spoken like someone who isn't dealing with the space constraints of a Manhattan apartment :).
I try not to stock up on shoes because *space*, but once I find a model I like I usually keep buying it for as long as I can find it available online. So thank you for sharing that link, because it's easier to search one website than all the websites when I'm looking for shoes.

Nope, not since living in the Bay area have I been space constrained, often to my wife's chagrin. :)

COVID-19 Wellness Focus - Week "Happy Hours and Wedding" - October 19th - October 25th, 2020

Monday:
  • 2.74 mile run, 36:05 minutes, 13:12 min/mi avg pace - still doing the Aaptiv runs and enjoying them. Tried out my new shoes on this one and they were not great, but I wanted to give them one more try.
Tuesday:
  • 23 minute walk, 1.22 miles
  • barre3 with Catie Livestream - 45-minute class
Wednesday:
  • 7.27 mile run, 1:39:32 hours, 13:42 avg pace
Thursday:
  • barre3 with Kelly Livestream - 60-minute class
  • 27 minute walk, 1.40 miles
Friday:
  • barre3 online - 30-minute class
  • 2 walks, total 56 minutes, 3.03 miles - walked to and from a socially-distanced hangout with a coworker whose last day was Friday. :( but also yay for seeing people!
Saturday:
  • 32 minute walk, 1.55 miles
Sunday:
  • 5.16 mile run, 1:07:06 hours, 13:01 min/mi avg pace
Total Running:
3 runs, 15.17 miles, 2:15:37 hours
I think this is my highest mileage week in a while. Very exciting stuff.

Total barre3:
2 Livestream classes
1 online classes
Total time: ~ 2:15 hours

Walks:
4 walks, 2:18 hours

Healthy Eating:
I drank a lot this week. Just putting that out there. Celebratory drinking after my big project launched on Monday, happy hours Wednesday and Thursday, and then drinks with coworkers on Friday. Yeah.

Life:
My cousin got married Sunday evening, and we made the decision not to go. I watched the zoom and I'm glad I got to see it, but I would rather have been there. It's a tough situation because we made the right decision but it still feels wrong.
Yeah.

My knee has been acting wonky, but I also wanted to do a long run tomorrow, so I'm really not sure how to handle this. I'm just starting to feel like I'm getting back on track and I don't want to be derailed by something that's probably not really a thing.
I did skip today's planned walk because of the knee. But I don't know that I'm ready to skip a run.

Also still trying to figure out how I feel about the new shoes.

I've been running in the Asics Cumulus for over 5 years and I love them. There have been a few crappy versions, I hated the 20's, but overall it's a shoe I keep going back to. I hope they work out for you!

Now if only I could find a trail running shoe I love...

I've been running in the Asics Cumulus for over 5 years and I love them. There have been a few crappy versions, I hated the 20's, but overall it's a shoe I keep going back to. I hope they work out for you!

Now if only I could find a trail running shoe I love...
Thanks for sharing! I'm always glad to hear good reports on new shoes I'm trying. I did my third run in them today and I think they're keepers. So that's good.

Can't help you on the trail shoe thing, since I avoid trails. Although I hear Altra makes some good trail shoes.

COVID-19 Wellness Focus - Week "Have I Finally Learned to Forgive Myself?" - October 26th - November 1st, 2020

Monday:
  • 3.04 mile run, 38:05 minutes, 12:31 min/mi avg pace - This was an Aaptiv run of 70s music called "You Can Go Your Own Way". Clearly I did it just for that song (love me some Fleetwood Mac). "Jump" at the end was also a good music choice.
Tuesday:
  • barre3 with Katie Livestream - 60-minute class
Wednesday:
  • 5.01 mile run, 1:05:40 hours, 13:06 min/mi avg pace
Thursday:
Friday:
  • 4.91 mile run, 1:06:20 hours, 13:31 min/mi avg pace
Saturday:
  • barre3 online - 10-minute class
Sunday:
  • barre3 with Vicky Livestream - 60-minute class
Total Running:
3 runs, 12.96 miles, 2:50:05 hours

Total barre3:
3 Livestream classes
1 online classes
Total time: ~ 3:10 hours

Walks:
0 walks

This week is not what I expected it to be, but I'm okay with that. I didn't get a long run in, but I still ran almost 13 miles and I think I have an idea what I want my running weeks to look like for the rest of the year. Didn't get any walks in, but I still managed to get out in the rain on Thursday (grocery shopping), which was a win. I think I'm getting better at being happy with weeks that aren't what I expect them to be.

Healthy Eating:
Did some bulk cooking, so hopefully healthy eating will be a bit easier for a few weeks.

Life:
Staycation time!! I took off the second half of the week (and I'm off Monday this coming week + company holiday Tuesday for election day). Spent some time cooking and baking, went to a meeting (long story), watched a lot of TV and movies. Apparently I'm on a Kenny Ortega kick because I watched all three Descendants movies and then Newsies. Will probably watch Coco tomorrow as a belated Día de Los Muertos celebration.
Oh, and I went to a interactive spy "museum" with my parents today:
IMG_2212.JPG
(yes I took off the gloves right after touching that and threw them out ... also, my hair looks terrible and I really should have washed it this morning)
IMG_2260.JPG

tbh, I'm not doing great today. I don't think tomorrow will be great either. Likely not the rest of the week or maybe even the rest of the month.

Take care of yourselves, friends. Take care of each other. Please let me know if there's anything I can do to help. These days more than ever we all need each other.

tbh, I'm not doing great today. I don't think tomorrow will be great either. Likely not the rest of the week or maybe even the rest of the month.

Take care of yourselves, friends. Take care of each other. Please let me know if there's anything I can do to help. These days more than ever we all need each other.

We're here to help you out too :)

COVID-19 Wellness Focus - Week "Standing on the Rooftops" - November 2nd - November 8th, 2020

Monday:
  • 2 walks, total 3.23 miles, 1:03 hours - walked to and from Target
  • barre3 with Lauren Livestream - 60 minute class
Tuesday:
  • 7.30 mile run, 1:40:26 hours, 13:45 mi/mi avg pace
Wednesday:
  • 5.23 mile run, 1:10:13 hours, 13:25 min/mi avg pace
  • barre3 with Jess Livestream - 60-minute class
Thursday:
Friday:
  • 2.77 mile run, 35:10 minutes, 12:42 min/mi avg pace
Saturday:
  • Rest Day!
Sunday:
  • Outdoor rooftop barre3 with Vicky - 45-minute class - this is a month-long partnership my studio has with a real estate development company where they're doing a class on a building rooftop every Sunday. Today was the first one and we got a swag bag - water bottle, pin, bracelet, scrunchie, core ball, coconut water. It was cool. Definitely enjoyed and will be back next week, even without the swag bag.
  • 2 walks - total 2.79 miles, 56 minutes
Total Running:
3 runs, 15.30 miles, 3:25:49 hours

Total barre3:
3 Livestream classes
1 outdoor class
Total time: ~ 3:45 hours

Walks:
4 walks, 1:59 hours

Pretty good week, especially considering the stress of everything. Plus, I probably slept more than Steve Kornacki, so I'm winning the week.

Healthy Eating:
I bought post-Halloween chocolate from Target and then ate almost all of it. Sigh.
But on the good side ... I ordered a farm box from fresh direct so I have veggies to last a while. Romaine lettuce, green bell pepper, mini peppers, beets, sweet potatoes, butternut squash, carrots, cauliflower (which I keep forgetting about). So far I've cut up bell pepper and beets for salad and roasted some peppers and lettuce (gonna try for a cabbage-like effect with that, I think it will work). Gonna ribbon some carrots and put a ginger dressing on them. Will roast the butternut squash later in the week and freeze half of that. Probably gonna do a sweet potato quiche, not sure what else I'll do with the potatoes. No idea what I'm gonna do with the cauliflower, but I can always just cut it into florets and roast it.
This farm box was definitely bigger than I need.

Life:
What a week. Started the week on staycation. Went back to work on Wednesday but nothing much doing and I wasn't thrilled about that. Whatever. Spent most of the time glued to the TV which was not ideal, but all's well that ends well.

Last edited:
Also forgot to mention that I had a really good weekly run schedule mapped out for the rest of the year, but then work decided to move our async team check-in from Wednesday to Tuesday (meaning that we have our usual team check-in meeting on Wednesdays now), so I don't know that I'm comfortable doing 2+ hour long runs on Wednesday when I have an 11:30am meeting (which honestly isn't that early, but still...). I can't move long run to Tuesday because Tuesday/Thursday are my 8:15am barre3 class days (Mon/Wed are 9am, and Monday I really can't do 9am because things get exciting at work starting around 10). So I have to rethink the run schedule. Not sure what I'm gonna do this week ... supposed to be a 2 hour long run.

And I had something written up about my new shoes but forgot to save it, so ... long story short, Back to BAsics are keepers. So far they haven't gone past 7 miles, so hopefully they'll be okay as I get to longer distance.

Cauliflower soup, cauliflower mac and cheese, bean, cauliflower and cheese burritos, cauliflower & tomato frittata, chicken stew with cauliflower and olives......can you tell I love cauliflower? (And sorry, I don't know your diet, so don't know if any of these suggestions are incompatible with it)

Pizza crust? The vegan pizza my wife orders from our favorite local place comes on a cauliflower crust and she says it's pretty tasty.
Good call! I've had cauliflower crust pizza once or twice and I like it. I may try that.

Cauliflower soup, cauliflower mac and cheese, bean, cauliflower and cheese burritos, cauliflower & tomato frittata, chicken stew with cauliflower and olives......can you tell I love cauliflower? (And sorry, I don't know your diet, so don't know if any of these suggestions are incompatible with it)
Thank you for all these awesome suggestions - I think I could make most of these work (other than the fact that I don't have any chicken at the moment ... or cheese ... but with grocery shopping, I could try any of these ideas). So many good options. Thanks!

COVID-19 Wellness Focus - Week "Did I Leave the Kitchen This Week?" - November 9th - November 15th, 2020

Monday:
  • 5.10 mile run, 1:05:47 hours, 12:54 min/mi avg pace
  • barre3 online class - 10-minute class
Tuesday:
  • barre3 with Katie Livestream - 60-minute class
Wednesday:
  • 8.73 mile run, 2:04:32 hours, 14:16 min/mi avg pace - I had off for Veterans Day (yay Vets!), so I didn't have to worry about doing this before work
Thursday:
  • barre3 with Holly Livestream - 45-minute class
Friday:
  • 1.95 mile run, 25:47 minutes, 13:08 min/mi avg pace - originally planned a longer run but I just couldn't get into it so I called it early.
Saturday:
  • barre3 online class - 30-minute class
Sunday:
  • Outdoor rooftop barre3 with Katie - 30-minute class - today's gift was grip socks. Super windy on the roof, but still a good class.
Total Running:
3 runs, 15.78 miles, 2:35:56 hours

Total barre3:
2 Livestream classes
2 online class
1 outdoor class
Total time: ~ 2:55 hours

Walks:
0 walks

Healthy Eating:
I can no longer remember all the things I did with my farm box, but here are some of the successes:
- Homemade tomato sauce
- Carrot Ribbons in ginger dressing
- Sweet potato black bean burgers (although they probably needed some flour to bind them and I could have cooked them a drop longer)
Cauliflower crust pizza was a good recipe but bad execution (I didn't dry out the cauliflower well). Also I may have put too much cheese for the thickness of the crust. Also, the crust may have been too thin. Anyway ... I'm glad I tried, but I don't think I'm gonna make it again. I still have some cauliflower left, and I'm thinking either cauliflower soup or some sort of cheese and cauliflower thing (I really like cheese).

Life:
Nothing too exciting this week. Which I think is a good thing.

Just tweeted this:

The good news is, I'm 99% sure it's one of those two and not fatigue from too many barre classes.
The bad news is I'm pretty sure it's option 2.

So anyway ... depending on the course this takes, because it varies every time, y'all will either be seeing way too much of me on here or crickets. I appreciate your patience and support. And I apologize if it turns into too much whining or nonsense posting.

COVID-19 Wellness Focus - Week "No Idea, Honestly" - November 16th - November 22nd, 2020

Monday:
  • 7.00 mile run, 1:37:53 hours, 13:59 min/mi avg pace - GPS was definitely wrong on this. Did longer run on Monday because I was supposed to have an early meeting Wednesday (but that got postponed).
Tuesday:
Wednesday:
  • 4.85 mile run, 1:04:27 hours, 13:17 min/mi avg pace
  • barre3 with Jess Livestream - 60-minute class
Thursday:
Friday:
  • 2.90 mile run, 37:08 minutes, 12:47 min/mi avg pace
Saturday:
  • Rest Day!
Sunday:
  • Outdoor rooftop barre3 with Jenna - 30-minute class - I hadn't seen Jenna #1 in a long time so this was great
  • 2 walks - total 1:10 hours, 3.58 miles
Total Running:
3 runs, 14.75 miles, 3:19:28 hours

Total barre3:
3 Livestream classes
0 online classes
1 outdoor class
Total time: ~ 3:30 hours

Walks:
2 walks, 1:10 hours

Healthy Eating:
Meh. Nothing much new from the farm box this week - cut up another pepper for salad, washed the last of the lettuce, made some roasted glazed carrots. Still gotta do something with the rest of the cauliflower, may just roast it because I don't know that I'll have the patience for anything more involved this week. Anything that hasn't already been used or frozen will probably need to get used this week because it's starting to get old.

Life:
Had some pretty bad days this week, so that wasn't great. But that's just the way it goes sometimes. I'm still self-monitoring a lot to see where I'm at and if I need any additional support.

COVID-19 Wellness Focus - Week "Turkey Day" - November 23rd - November 29th, 2020

Monday:
  • barre3 with Lauren Livestream - 60-minute class
  • I did walk to and from urgent care, but I didn't track it, so it doesn't count.
Tuesday:
  • 10.12 mile run, 2:20:28 hours, 13:53 min/mi avg pace - DOUBLE DIGITS! First time since July, I think. Likely the last time this year because work, but we'll see.
Wednesday:
  • 3.08 mile run, 41:20 minutes, 13:26 min/mi avg pace
Thursday:
Friday:
  • 4.01 mile run, 51:35 minutes, 12:53 min/mi avg pace - originally planned this as 5 miles, but I had a hard time getting up and out of bed, so I cut it short
Saturday:
  • Rest Day!
Sunday:
  • barre3 with Vicky Livestream - 60-minute class
Probably could have gotten a little more movement on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, but there was a Gilmore Girls marathon on TV. Although really, I could have walked on the treadmill while watching. Oh well. Sometimes that's just the way it goes.

Total Running:
3 runs, 17.21 miles, 3:53:23 hours

Total barre3:
3 Livestream classes
0 online classes
0 outdoor classes
Total time: ~ 3:00 hours

Walks:
0 walks

Healthy Eating:
Sigh. Thanksgiving cooking kept me busy Wednesday and Thursday, but I snacked terribly the rest of the week. I knew what I should be having for snacks but then ate junk instead. Sigh.

Life:
I bought a new laptop on Friday. Probably should have waited until Cyber Monday for laptop deals, but I had work today and didn't work Friday, so time was a factor there. Also, it was a decently good deal. Other than that, nothing much doing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter